Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShyGuyNJ

I don't know what to do anymore...

Seriously, I don't know what to do.

I've been dealing with acne since around 12 years old and I'm 27 now. I've tried the Oxy, Clearasil, and Stridex stuff all through High School. Now I'm using the Proactiv 3 step kit, which I've been using for about 2.5 - 3 years. At first it worked, but as time passed it didn't seem to work anymore. Now I'm on the verge of finding something else because I stopped using the other Proactiv products outside of the Repairing Lotion.

Outside of the constant acne, my face has a red (from the BP used over the years along with sun exposure and non-usage of moisturizer or SPF-15) and very oily look to it. I've started to use Witch Hazel to do something about the overly oily complexion (cause I heard that it helps rid the excess oils), but I don't know if its working or just making things worse.

I've started using my Proactiv BP like it was suggested in Dan's Regime. I don't think I've ever used a moisturizer till just these last few days when I got my Proactiv Green Tea Moisturizer, so I have no freaking idea what that will do to my skin.

I'm thinking about trying Dan's Regime, but I have a question:

Will I have to deal with dry and flaky skin from Dan's BP or would the years I've been using the Proactiv BP make it so that my skin had adapted to BP being put on it, and I won't have to put up with the effects like a first timer would?

Here's two factors I can't change about me at the moment: I'm outside in the sun most of the day and I don't have enough time in the morning to apply a regime outside of a quick washing of the face from the previous night's regime usage.

Please, just give me some advice here, or recommend something that a 27 year old man can do to clear away some of the acne (cause I've come to terms with having smaller, trace amounts of acne), and get rid of the redness and oily complexion which I have. Please give me ideas fora new regime containing cleaners, moisturizers (regular ones for indoors and ones with SPF-15 for my job outdoors), and BP.

I think I need a change and I need some help, cause I'm just lost as to what to do now.

Hi

I'll be 27 very soon, and am in the same boat as you.

I hate to recommend anything it, cause I still have acne:p

What I'm trying at the moment is a bit simple but not easy; no gluten (difficult to remove all of it from a diet but there's a lot of info on the net, it's for people with coeliac disease), no masturbation (that's easy to me). Of course, I also must sleep enough and work out at least a bit. But what is cool is that it should be easy for you to try. You will feel a loss of energy for a few days, but it's OK. I was seeing results after two days, in the sense that no new acne was happening. I had a big breakout 7 days after stopping masturbation, but I heard this was expected and normal.

I have seen improvement, but I had such big breakouts just before that I still have so many marks and the occasional whitehead that I don't want to say it works yet. I will keep at it for at least a month before making any conclusion.

I have very oily skin too btw, and I'm a guy.

Hi

I'll be 27 very soon, and am in the same boat as you.

I hate to recommend anything it, cause I still have acne:p

What I'm trying at the moment is a bit simple but not easy; no gluten (difficult to remove all of it from a diet but there's a lot of info on the net, it's for people with coeliac disease), no masturbation (that's easy to me). Of course, I also must sleep enough and work out at least a bit. But what is cool is that it should be easy for you to try. You will feel a loss of energy for a few days, but it's OK. I was seeing results after two days, in the sense that no new acne was happening. I had a big breakout 7 days after stopping masturbation, but I heard this was expected and normal.

I have seen improvement, but I had such big breakouts just before that I still have so many marks and the occasional whitehead that I don't want to say it works yet. I will keep at it for at least a month before making any conclusion.

I have very oily skin too btw, and I'm a guy.

Well, I am making no promises regarding masturbation. It's like that one episode of Seinfield where they all have "The Bet". I'd probably be out in a day or two.

How do you deal with your oily skin, and does it help at all?

i agee with White Fox im 39 and been dealing with ance and oily skin fo years like you ive tryed everything nothing worked then my derm but me on accutane and i think its the best thing i ever did i havent been this happy in years

When having dealt with acne for 15 years it's definitely time to get Accutane.

I hear some bad things and I just don't think I wanna go on Accutane.

It is definitely daunting to say the least when making that decision. So far, I'm happy with my choice to take accutane. (I'm 28, almost 29 and been dealing with this for 15+ years as well) Have you done any topical retinoids (tazorac, differin, epiduo, retin-a)? I honestly don't think that another BP product is going to do it for you. At least go speak to a dermatologist, they might have an idea that will make you happy. I tried every topical and antibiotic out there before taking the accutane plunge. It was a really hard decision to make, I'm a big hippie, yoga lover. I won't know until it's over if it was the best move, but it's the only thing I haven't done and I think it's already making a difference.

ShyGuyNJ,

The BP that Dan has I think is a lower or the same strength than the Proactiv. You will not have any problems adapting. I will say it makes complete sense switching to Dan's products. They are much cheaper and you get them in volume.

Personally, I only use the BP on a troubled area when it occurs.

I will say this, I think you can stop the witch hazel. If you are out in the sun you will dry your skin out with the WH. I would use a SPF15 hypoallegenic lotion. Aveeno makes a really good one that is calming that takes out redness. It sounds like you are really over cleaning/scrubbing.

I've found that its better to do less. I wrote an entry that tells of what i've done that's really helped me.

Read it if you like.

Have you tried avoiding dairy and gluten? Reducing sugar and refined carbs? Eating more real nutrient dense foods?

What you want is an blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, and nutrient dense diet. Click the Good Things link in my signature for information on how this helps.

so sorry i dint read ur whole post but have u tryed retin a???

its GREAT stuff, give it a shitt load of time to work tho...acne gets worse when using it first cuz it brings all ur "repressed' acne to the surface as it increases cell turnover...

alsooo try drinking tea, with no sugar just tea with maybe honey to sweeten it!! helped me! OH AND NOOOO ARTIFICIAL SWEETNERS! THESE MAKE ME BREAK OUT BADDD!

I know what its like to wish u didnt have to put on all these creams and drink tea 5 times a day and just go to bed w/o even rinsing ur face off like a NORMAL human being. ur acne mite just clear up on retin a..... mine sure did!!!!

Well, I am a female and started birth control, which did reduce the amount of acne I had -- but it never totally cleared it. In fact, I always had at least 2-4 cysts at any given time.

What worked to get the last of it cleared up is this:

(I do this every night, and about every other afternoon)

- wash with ProActiv Renewing Cleanser ~ I always wash my face at the kitchen sink because it allows me to hold my face under the running water for as long as possible, ensuring that I completely rinse off my face

- wipe my face with cleansing towlettes -- the brand I use is called Equate (which I think is an off-brand, which I buy at WalMart) and the product is called "Facial Cleansing Towelettes", which, according to the package, are "comparable to Pond's Clean Sweep". This wipes off whatever I didn't get from rinsing, and, more importantly, moisturizes my skin -- adding this was really the crucial step for me, I think, in eliminating my acne. Then I allow my skin to air-dry

- apply clindamycin topical gel

I went out of town a couple weeks ago, and I forgot my face-cleaning stuff (which I have no idea how it happened because keeping my face clean is my religion), and within a day of not keeping with my regimen, my face started breaking out again.

Dude, I totally hope that this helped at all. Good luck to you...I truly know how it feels to suffer from acne....

If you want to avoid accutane I suggest benzaclin or duac. You may still "grow out" of acne but it may take many years since you still have active acne in your late 20's. If benzaclin doesn't help or oral antibiotics don't help then you may need to consider accutane if you really want to get rid of your acne. Acne sucks.

I will throw in my two cents...

I would change your diet. I know it sounds crazy, but I was on antibiotics for 5+ years and only now diet is improving my recurrent bacterial infection (folliculitis)/acne. You need to build up your immune system. Eliminate high carbs and sugar, eliminate dairy (except for butter), elminiate fruit (except for lemons and limes).

Sugar supresses your immune system and high carbs increase insulin levels which release glucose (form of sugar) into your blood. Drugs also suppress the immune system: like antibiotics, accutane, cholestrol medicine, birth control, etc... Our bodies were not made for the thousands upon thousands of pharmeautical pills out there.

There are healthy and natural ways to fend off most illnesses/infections/diseases... It takes time and patience though.

If you are willing to take the time to pay attention to your body and give your body the right nutrients it needs instead of a 'magic pill' or 'topical solution' you will get the results you are looking for.

I hope this helps you,

Jeff

SIDE-NOTE:

I've had a bacterial infection for so long and I listened to the doctors about only wearing your clothes once then washing them. I listened to the doctors about washing your towel after every use. I listened to the doctors about taking medication, because I was so-called sick. I listened to the doctors to switch to antibacterial soap. I listened to the doctors about getting a shower after a work-out. I guess you can say I'm a good listener. None of that stuff helped at all...

Recently, I use the same towel. I shower maybe once a day. I reuse my shirts (I slept in the shirt I have on now in fact), after I sweat I don't need to take a shower anymore. I don't take any medications. FOr having a bacterial infection (staph infection-folliculitis) all of the more recent things I've been doing are a NO-NO...

This is why I believe my diet is working and people will disagree, but I respect there opinions too.

I'm having good results so far from going gluten-free, and reduced masturbation.

We'll see if it lasts. For the past two weeks it has made a good difference.

u gotta look past all the creams and figure out the root of your problem. its an internal problem, and it took me a long time to realize it.

i hear adult acne is primarily caused by digestion issues, hormonal imbalances, or both. But it gets much much deeper from there. just yesterday i looked through all my experiences and symptoms, and determined i have a candida overgrowth which led to a leaky gut. Today I just started a regimen on this. I'm almost damn friggin sure this is it.

good luck

I feel you should try every avenue before accutane.

Try Niacin.

Change your diet. Keep a spreadsheet of your diet , regimen and suppliments - medication.

Be honest and thorough and after 30 days you will have an acurate picture of everything.

Then make the changes until you find a good combination.

For example, remove full fat milk for 30 days, than maybe processed meats and pork?

Please check my Blog. You will see that I have made massive life changes. There is no magic wand. You need to really be up for the fight and beat this.

Ive had acne redness issue for years. Getting a few skin peeling sessions at a clinic, taking fish oil omega 3 daily, not drinking sodas, using suncreen in the moring and any decent lotion, and washing my face with goat milk makes me look like a better man everyday. My redness problem started getting better since I used fish oil twice a day and wash my face with goat milk soap. Im 22 right now but Ive dealt with acne since I was 14 or 15. I know the pain and suffering from acne. I think the one of the best ways to fix this problem is to stay AWAY from those brand products. It just gets your hope up high and you're disappointed at the end. Ive used many products but man it just made me feel like crap.

I'm 28 and I've been dealing with acne since 18.

I've also tryied everything including proactiv. When I first used proactiv it seemed to clear my skin alot, but i never had a day without a pimple. As I read all the frustrations and the doubts that people have, I recomend people to switch over to dans regimen and just use them only for now.

I started this regimen about two years ago(2007), I heard this regimen from my friends who had really bad acne all over their faces, but after trying this product their skin got cleared completely.

and they told me it's really important to follow the directions that dan gives.

so I thought I've got nothing to lose and I did exactly what dan does on the video.

and I told my boyfriend about this regimen and he got them around the same time I did.

I was getting cleared as time goes by, and after a year my face wasn't completely cleared, because I skipped regimen many nights and days, just being happy with the improvement that I had at that time. but my boyfriend who does not put make-up all day everyday like I do had amazing result very quickly. he had worse acne then I did and he followed every steps and directions twice a day everyday for two years now. He said this was the only thing that worked for him(he alos had acne for long time, tried everyting).

I stopped using this regimen about a year ago(2008), because I didn't feel like I needed it, because my skin was under control and few acne on my face didn't bother me too much.

and after a year I stopped(now 2009), I just ordered cleasenser and AHA lotion again. I'm regreting so much that I stopped.... my face is back to a huge mess. Why do I always wait to see my face explore then treat...?

so here is my advice for you.

just try it thinking that this will really work for you, and don't quit too fast.

I regret so much that I stopped when I was happy with my skin.

Just follow his direction well.

oh and if you are working outside during the day, you should put sunblock on your face and neck.

I know, I know... guys can't put up with the greasy feeling on their faces, but try to find less greasy sunblock.

I bought dan's lotion(moisturizer) at first but didn't like it. so I switched to the one that dan recomended. it's oil-free moisturizer form neutrogena. Putting a moisturizer is really important, becaus I can tell by my boyfriend's results. he thought the lotion makes his pimple worse(I thought like that also), and didn't use any lotion for many years, but after he use lotions every night and morning, his face got CLEARED. so I learned that moisturizing your skin is as important as using BP.

you can look for the one that is SPF15. and I've tried sensitive skin type, and both of them are good for my skin. it has two types: SPF15, sensitive skin.

if you can't put sunblock, at least get the moistrizer that has sun protection.

If I were you, I would get dan's cleanser, BP and the AHA lotion.

also neutrogena oil free moisturizer SPF15.( CVS, wall greens, pathmark. any drug store should have them.)

in the morning, just wash your face with cleanser, and put moisturizer(SPF15 or more) since you said you don't have time.

and night, use cleanser, BP, then put AHA lotion. make sure you follow dan's direction at night taking time to put BP and AHA lotion.

just by doing this, I think you will see the noticeable improvement within a month.

then I think you would want to wake up 20 min earlier to but BP and lotion in the morning for perfect skin~

hope it helped~