Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
konichiwa5

ACNE CURED at 39! NO SH**!

I am taking 500mg of "Spring Valley Flush Free Niacin" which says 'inositol hexanicotinate' underneath. I got that at Wal-Mart for $8 bucks. Research on the internet says that 2000mg/day is the max to take without the danger of liver damage, so I am staying well below that. I do not claim to have any idea how it works, but my acne always became more cystic in proportion to how much vegetable oil I consumed, and niacin is used by the body to help remove triglycerides. So that sort of makes sense.

I am not having any problems with oiliness, but my skin is far less dry than it has always been because instead of washing my face twice a day like I have for decades, I now wash it once every other day just for kicks. I should not gloat, but I have finally become a normal member of the human race. I no longer have to worry about irritating my skin if I touch it, or about what I am eating, or even waste a single moment of my day concerned about my complexion. Except that the Number One Priority of my life is to take niacin every day. This has been nothing short of a miracle, and means more to me than would all the lotteries on Earth. I went from zero to hero in two weeks. I have been a military pilot for 15 years, but now that I look the part I can finally enjoy it.

If your skin is excessively oily, you may want to look into Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5). I took that for the past year. It is supposed to reduce your oil secretion, but you have to take 2 or 3 grams a day (about 20-25 pills). The stuff is relatively cheap and not harmful, but you have to go to a health food store or online to find it. I think that helped my skin somewhat, but excess oil was never my problem. For the past month I have stopped taking Vitamin E, Zinc, B5, fish oil, and all that other stuff just to see if it was really only the niacin that I needed. Sure enough, that alone does the trick in my case.

I've never heard of Niacin, but I am going to try it out. I have had acne so long I would try anything to make it go away. Congrats on your results, I'm crossing my fingers that my acne will clear up too!

I wanted to add my experience so far with Niacin, and acne in general...

I'm a male, 23 now, and have had constant acne since I was a teenager. The only time I've had a prolonged period of consistently clear skin was two years ago when a derm put me on retin-A and a strong antibiotic. Unfortunately, after about 6 months of perfect skin I my prescription ran out and I lost my insurance. Since then, I've had constant breakouts on my face, usually 5-15 active cysts/nodules/whiteheads at a time and my acne occasionally spread to my back.

Anyway, for the past 3 weeks I've had some rough breakouts along my jawline, the corners of my mouth and the sides of my nose. The majority of these pimples have been deep and stubborn, I was starting to really lose hope (for the billionth time) of ever leading a normal, clear-skinned life.

A few days ago, in a desperate late night attempt to find something that would help, I stumbled upon this post and decided to give Niacin a try. I went to Walgreen's and got an 8 dollar bottle of 250mg Niacin. Today is only my second day taking the supplement, and while I don't want to speak too soon, all of those stubborn cysts along my jawline and mouth area have all but disappeared, and my skin texture is the best it has been in two years.

I've been taking two 250mg pills a day, one when I wake up and one before I go to sleep.

When my skin cleared up two years ago on the derm's regimen, I could tell within the first 2 days that it was working. Since then, Niacin is the only other treatment that has had this effect on me. I have a lot of confidence that it will continue to improve my complexion, just as the retin-A did, except that its a lot easier and cheaper.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I really wanted to provide detailed info about me and my acne, in hopes that anyone others who are searching for an answer would be able to relate and be convinced to try the Niacin treatment for themselves. I'll try to update later on to let people know if it continues to keep me clear, but for now I would highly recommend it.

edit: To the OP:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Assuming I stay clear, your info may have changed my life. I'm incredibly grateful

I wanted to add my experience so far with Niacin, and acne in general...

I'm a male, 23 now, and have had constant acne since I was a teenager. The only time I've had a prolonged period of consistently clear skin was two years ago when a derm put me on retin-A and a strong antibiotic. Unfortunately, after about 6 months of perfect skin I my prescription ran out and I lost my insurance. Since then, I've had constant breakouts on my face, usually 5-15 active cysts/nodules/whiteheads at a time and my acne occasionally spread to my back.

Anyway, for the past 3 weeks I've had some rough breakouts along my jawline, the corners of my mouth and the sides of my nose. The majority of these pimples have been deep and stubborn, I was starting to really lose hope (for the billionth time) of ever leading a normal, clear-skinned life.

A few days ago, in a desperate late night attempt to find something that would help, I stumbled upon this post and decided to give Niacin a try. I went to Walgreen's and got an 8 dollar bottle of 250mg Niacin. Today is only my second day taking the supplement, and while I don't want to speak too soon, all of those stubborn cysts along my jawline and mouth area have all but disappeared, and my skin texture is the best it has been in two years.

I've been taking two 250mg pills a day, one when I wake up and one before I go to sleep.

When my skin cleared up two years ago on the derm's regimen, I could tell within the first 2 days that it was working. Since then, Niacin is the only other treatment that has had this effect on me. I have a lot of confidence that it will continue to improve my complexion, just as the retin-A did, except that its a lot easier and cheaper.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I really wanted to provide detailed info about me and my acne, in hopes that anyone others who are searching for an answer would be able to relate and be convinced to try the Niacin treatment for themselves. I'll try to update later on to let people know if it continues to keep me clear, but for now I would highly recommend it.

edit: To the OP:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Assuming I stay clear, your info may have changed my life. I'm incredibly grateful

I have been suffering with persistent acne for the last year now and i have tried all kind topicals and pills. It is just now on my cheeks toward nose/under eye area. I can not get it to go away and i am wondering if this niacin will do wonders for me too. Only thing is after reading all the flushing effects i really want to avoid that and was wondering if i go with the non-flush (niacinamide) will it be just as effective for my persistant red, itchy, acne? Please help!!! Also while on niacin or niaciamide, would i still use my regular 10% BP was i am currently using or is it something you take while not using any topicals?

i plan to try this stuff out too. I'll look for the no-flush niacin containing "Inositol hexanicotinate" just like konichiwa. I'll give you guys an update in a week

Well i also just picked up the Spring Valley Flush Free Niacin 500mg today. Will be taken my first dose shortly with my meal. I really hope and pray this will do wonders for me, since i have tried everything as well. I will def keep everyone posted daily. Wish me luck :pray:

A note about flushing. I Started taking niacin for the first time last night. I took 100 mg last night ( about 4 hours after eating) and had a mild flush - it started almost immediately and lasted about 15 minutes. Itchy, but not intolerable. This morning, BEFORE eating anything, I took 100 mg again and had a pretty severe flush. It was not pleasant at all BUT if this stuff works, I think I could handle a flush of that severity for a 1/2 hour every day to get clean skin.

Tonight I took 200 mg AFTER eating and had NO flush at all.

As for results . . . well, it hasn't even been 24 hours since my first dose so I won't start jumping up and down just yet but I can say with complete certainty that my skin looks better tonight than it did last night. I will certainly keep you all updated (especially a month or so from now when I am stuck with another mega-monthly breakout).

Well i also just picked up the Spring Valley Flush Free Niacin 500mg today. Will be taken my first dose shortly with my meal. I really hope and pray this will do wonders for me, since i have tried everything as well. I will def keep everyone posted daily. Wish me luck :pray:

Cool bro, i plan on buying the exact same kind tomorrow morning first thing. I am really hoping this is the answer to my problems, however most of my acne stems from my overproduction of oil so maybe this might not work. Either way, if its helping most of the people out i will continue and hope for results.

i really dont mind the flush. i dont know whats a severe flush but ive had my whole body covered in rashes and my head felt like it had its own pulse. its not that bad since you know its going to be gone in a couple minutes. you just gotta wait it out.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the info.

I was in the mood for a silver bullet so I ordered some 500mg Solgar No-Flush Niacin capsules.

I'll let ya know things go.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the info.

I was in the mood for a silver bullet so I ordered some 500mg Solgar No-Flush Niacin capsules.

I'll let ya know things go.

Yeah let us know mate, I was looking at those same ones yesterday! Heres hoping!!! :)

I was looking into the Solgar no-flush ones aswell. They're 20 Euro for 60 caps here in Ireland which is a rip - tho I'd definitely consider it if more people report success here. Let us know how it goes Tim :)

Im 20 y/o male with persistently mild acne since puberty. 3 Days ago I stopped using BP and now just take 500mg Niacin (the flush kind) I've had 1 new pimple that was tiny and went away as soon as it came. Ive noticed a big difference already. This is definitely something to investigate. The flush is not that bad, my ears get alittle hot and itchy for 20 mins.

Something I came across. "Nicotinamide has demonstrated anti-inflammatory actions which may be of benefit in patients with inflammatory skin conditions.[4] These conditions include acne vulgaris, and the compound can suppress antigen induced-lymphocytic transformation and inhibit of 3'-5' cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase. Nicotinamide has demonstrated the ability to block the inflammatory actions of iodides known to precipitate or exacerbate inflammatory acne"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide

I just started with the no flush last nite, 500mg with a meal and will continue with it. At my age I can do with out the hot flashes that come with being older. I am hoping that this is what my body is missing. Oh and for the one poster who said junk food is a no no or something like that, it just would be nice to eat something once in a while and not have to worry about if it will break me out and how bad it will be, no offence. Elf

Im thinking about ordering 1000mg (no flush) niacin pills from the puritans pride website. Does anyone think that this dose seems too high?

Hey i was just wondering whether this is still working for you? If so how can i get hold of it. Im currently living in the UK.

How do you use it. I am really sick of having acne. Its only mild with me but it flares up really bad every now and then. Im forever trying diff products.\Im getting married in Nov and im terrified my skin will be bad. Any advice be greatly appreciated xx

[Did you find out any more info on this. Im trying to decide whether to give it a go? Are they safe to take?

Im thinking about ordering 1000mg (no flush) niacin pills from the puritans pride website. Does anyone think that this dose seems too high?

Personally, I think that's insanely high. I would go with 500 mg max..

We tell our patients to take one aspirin 325mg 30 minutes prior to taking Niacin to the reduce the flushing because we expect it when treating high TG. It should go away in a month. But if you can't take aspirin (due to blood clotting problems, stomach ulcers, etc) then don't.

As always, ask your physician about starting any new meds (even vit) cause they may exacerbate any other conditions you may or interact with other medications u r taking.

For the people who are finding this helpful, please post before and after pictures for our review.

I know this is my first post, but I've been lurking these forums forever. I finally registered, because I have had good, almost immediate results with Niacin (500 mg no-flush) after viewing this thread, and I wanted everyone to know that it worked for me too. Within three days I stopped forming cystic acne, but I'm going to make my own post with before and after pictures if what I'm doing continues to work for about a month.

I don't want to jump the gun and said this is a magic cure, but, if nothing else, it really seems to help cystic acne heal faster and with much less scarring and discoloration than usual. I take a multivitamin and stay away from dairy as well, which seems to be clearing me up quite nicely. I'm a 25 year old female, by the way.

I'm giving this a try, just started on Sunday, so this is my second day. My skin broke out really bad because of my period and now all of those have subsided. The skin appears to be calming down and feels smoother, except one angry zit on my left cheek.

I'm taking 250 mg in the morning and 250 at night. Its timed release formula, so I dont feel any flushing.

I'm going to start green cream as well to see if it helps out with discoloration from previous scarring, hopefully it wont get in the way of each other.

Wow, I'm really impressed by this topic. EVERYONE that tries Niacine has a quick positive result! It seems too good to be real! :redface:

Anyway, I'm 34, male, from Italy and I have severe cysitc acne since i was 16... Sigh! I tried EVERYTHING (including ACCUTANE, that cleared me up but the bloody acne come back...), I've read for years this forum, then i quit. Simply there's no cure, so why be obssessed with something you can't send away?

Now, after a year, I was curious to see if there was new cure on this site... Bute there are always the same topics, EXCEPT THIS ONE. So I'll buy a couple of bottle of NIACINE 500mg NO FLUSH (Now Foods), from Internet and I'll give it a try.

Thanx for sharing this info. I hope this stuff will help us! :rolleyes:

I want to try this too but I am confused as to whether I should get Niacin or Niacinamide. Are people having success with both?

I want to try this too but I am confused as to whether I should get Niacin or Niacinamide. Are people having success with both?

Niacinamide and Niacin are two different forms of vitamin B-3. Niacinamide does not cause a niacin flush.

Another new form ( Inositol Hexanicotinate) is the one that is assuming the author of this topic with success (400mg), and it's common labeled as "Niacin Flush Free".

This one, for example:

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/80695

Inositol Hexanicotinate is a stable, non-flushing source of Niacin. This superior source of Niacin works to reduce the common "niacin-flush" problems associated with high doses of Niacin supplements

Anyway, take the INOSITOL composition, then choose the brand with the lower cost ;)

Alright, I've been keeping a photo log, and since no one really seems to be posting their results, I guess I will. Hopefully it will help someone else if they have some photographic evidence! I have been using Niacin for five days now, at 500 (mg), the same brand as the original poster.

I only take pictures of the sides of my face because I only break out there. I used to get cysts on my forehead and very bad cysts on my chin and around my lip area, but eliminating dairy and peanuts for six months plus working out hard 6 days a week cleared those areas. Even with all of that effort, I was still breaking out in horrible, inflamed, ugly, painful acne on my cheeks.

I'm sorry the pictures are kind of bad, but the only time during the day that I don't have my foundation on is first thing in the morning, and unfortunately, I don't have any other makeup on then either :)

I've attached a few pictures. The first (with my eyes blocked out) was after the first morning I took Niacin. Take my word for it, it was even worse the day before. I took a picture of my left side and right side of my face. The right side is the worse side.

The last two (where I'm actually showing my whole face) were taken this morning, on day five.

I think it's pretty obvious my acne has cleared, my skin tone is more even and less red, and all I really have left are healing pimples and red marks, and even they are going away quite nicely.

I didn't change anything else at all, and in fact ate cheese over the weekend, as well as had coffee and a brownie, which I usually have to avoid. I am also using a BP spot treatment (clearasil ultra) and dove soap only. I hope this isn't just a fluke and continues to work for me.