Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
konichiwa5

ACNE CURED at 39! NO SH**!

January 2011 Update:

This was originally a posting about how taking niacin quickly eliminated my chronic cystic acne. I had been plagued by skin problems for more than 15 years. No treatment would help and no logic could explain how my complexion could get better some weeks, and then get seriously worse others. Even less helpful were the 7 physicians, including a dermatologist, with whom I spoke over the years in efforts to find a solution.

I will just give the major details to keep this from turning into a blog, but the real cure follows. Rather than disparage physicians at length, I will just say that they are worthless, except perhaps when you have been pulverized in a car accident. At that point they could hardly do worse. Anyway, I started having problems when I was about 24 in the form of itchy patches on my face and neck. They were not visible, but itched terribly. That got worse over the years and became in some parts cystic acne that was very stubborn and resistant to all imaginable treatment.

Originally, taking the niacin eliminated my problem within a week. That made me very excited. Unfortunately the results only lasted about 7 or 8 weeks and then it started to come back even though I continued taking niacin.

Out of desperation I continued doing my own research to try to find a permanent solution. While looking into candidiasis as a cause, of which I was completely skeptical, I found Dr. Whiting's website and his videos about this disease that most doctors don't believe in. You can easily find this website with a search for 'Dr Whiting Candidiasis.' I even spoke with Dr. Whiting himself on the phone. His website is mostly about yeast infections, and he does not believe that acne is related to candidiasis even though he says it has hundreds of possible symptoms. However the causes and symptoms of candidiasis described on his website completely explained my acne, such as the original cause (I was once prescribed an antibiotic when I was 24, the same time this all started) and why it varied from week to week (in response to the carbohydrates in my diet and as the infection developed resistance to different treatments), and why it only affected some areas of my face while others were fine. I tried Dr. Whiting's own candidiasis treatment for several months, but it did not work.

Let's just skip to the good part. My problem was that I had a yeast infection on my skin. I am not in any way medically trained, but in Theoretical Physics if you have only one theory that fully explains certain events, then it is a valid theory, regardless of what the doctors tell you. It really irritated me to listen to two different doctors (one of them a dermatologist) tell me that there was no way I had candidiasis, and yet they could not offer any explanations or solutions of their own, other than to try using a gentler soap.

The simple way to check if you might have the same type of acne that I had is: 1. you score very high on Dr Whiting's Candidiasis Test, which is free on his website, and 2. your acne gets somewhat better with the "Candidiasis Diet." (No Carbohydrates)

A few months ago I applied some stuff I got at Walgreens called "Bye Bye Blemish." It worked so well on one cystic infection that I started using it more and more over larger areas of my face. I applied it whenever I was staying home and even made an effort to sleep on one side so it did not rub off at night. After 6 weeks all my itchy areas and chronically infected areas were gone. That is the cure: sulfur, which is the ingredient in "Bye Bye Blemish." Before you decide that I am a salesman for this stuff, the online vitamin store I use also sells the same thing called, "Platinum Skin Care Drying Lotion." Either one is about $10. Each of these is marketed only as a drying lotion, but you will see from your own results that the sulfur gradually wipes out the candidiasis or yeast bacteria on and inside your skin.

Almost as important as the sulfur is the near elimination of carbohydrates from your diet during the treatment. This keeps the candidiasis on the defensive and you will notice a stagnation of the treatment's effectiveness during periods when you eat carbs. What I did was harder than the Atkins diet, because you cannot even have milk or cheese, since any lactose seemed to send the candidiasis into a drunken rage on my skin. Also stay away from sugar alcohol (a common ingredient in sugar-free candy) because that will do the same. You have to stick with meat, eggs, nuts and vegetables for at least 6 days per week while you are also wearing the sulfur treatment for as many hours a day as you can. Doing that, I noticed results within a few days, and it just kept getting better week after week. When I was finally sure it was all gone I was able to eat whatever I wanted with no acne. 100% cured. I also take some pro-biotics to make sure that it never comes back.

My recommendation is that if you score high on Dr. Whiting's Candidiasis Test, then by all means spend the $6 at Walmart to get some niacin. If that starts to work for you, then don't wait until your acne develops a resistance to niacin. Start hammering it with the sulfur lotion and low carbs right away. The three working together may make it go away even more quickly. It felt great after 15 years to finally have to confidence to go out and talk to people without feeling self-conscious about my complexion. I wish you the same.

Edited by konichiwa5

I feel like I have just broken out of prison to find the sky blue and the birds singing. My face is finally clear, six months before I turn 40. I have had acne since 1982, and it just got worse as I got older. In the last two years, it had really become horrible. I had cystic acne on my cheeks and nose, with some of the individual blemishes lasting for six months each. I also had hair follicles below the surface of my skin that would become encased with cysts, particularly when I ate fast food. I am very sympathetic to all the posts of people who understand how depressing it is go have to go to work, let alone any social event, with a bad complexion. I have felt that way for decades.

I have learned through experience that doctors have no idea what they are talking about, so I never bothered with a dermatologist. What I have tried includes the following: a low vegetable oil diet, antibiotics, AcnEase, Acnezine, Vitamin B5, Vitamin E, the 3-day apple diet, lots of other pills and of course all the soaps and creams you can think of. I also got my own prescription online for Differin gel, and have been using that every night for the past 6 months. To be fair, the AcnEase, Acnezine, and Differin were somewhat effective at reducing my acne, and the other stuff helped too, but up until last week I could never make it go away 100%.

8 days ago, in my usual desperate attempt to search the internet for a solution to my acne, I read that NIACIN "may be helpful at reducing acne." Continuing on my desperate and endless quest to find a natural solution, I strolled down to the store and bought a bottle of niacin. I took the first dose at 3 pm that day. In the middle of that same night I woke up and I could tell that my skin felt different, like it was somehow much less sensitive than usual. It felt like normal skin. I have been taking niacin all week, and you are simply not going to believe the results. I am telling you the 'acne' was gone in less than 24 hours, and the following 7 days was just a matter of the existing blemishes I had healing faster than I have ever seen before. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I have been eating fast food most of the week with no outbreaks. Now I love going to work and even have enough ambition to go to the gym. It has been a miracle! And it was all in a niacin bottle that you can get at Wal-Mart on the vitamin isle for $5. Tell that to your dermatologist! (but it will cost you $300 to do it) How much? Get the largest amount available and take the dosage recommended on the bottle. I did it with 400mg/day.

I really do not care if anyone believes me. This is my one and only post to this site. Maybe niacin only works for some kinds of acne. I don't know. I am still taking all the ingredients of Acnezine just in case. I nearly start to cry when I see others with a bad complexion because I know how awful they feel. Sometimes I just wanted my life to be over. That is what has driven me to post this, so that someone else might stumble upon it and finally get the results that I did after trying for so many years. Take Care.

It was great of you to come on and share this man, thanks.

Thanks for sharing. I completely agree with everything you have written about how bad it feels to still have acne at age 40.

Interesting, my skin is ok, but still not 100%. I think Ill try this. Have you had any issues with flushing? Do you take it at night?

Thanks for sharing. :)

I am also curious about this too. My mom used to take this a long time ago and she always took it at nite because of the flushing. Don't really know why she took it and can't ask her about it as she is no longer alive. Just wondering if you get an IB with this or any other side affect. What is the dosage? Thanks, Elf

This is why there are acne medications containing niacinimide called Nicomide. It comes as a topical or a pill. Also contains zinc.

Which is why many people get results from Zinc and a b-complex. I did. And why people get results from nutrition, which cleared me.

And you want Niacin in the form of Niacinimide to avoid the flushing.

Im gonna go pick this up tomorrow, Niacin is what people use to pass drug tests, its supposed to detoxify your body. I think you have to drink a lot of water with it too to get the full effect.

Im gonna go pick this up tomorrow, Niacin is what people use to pass drug tests, its supposed to detoxify your body. I think you have to drink a lot of water with it too to get the full effect.

Can anyone help with the suggested dosage of Niacin? Not mentioned here, and other places I've researched give conflicting answers. What has worked for people here? Thanks so much!

I read that you should start out with a small dosage and slowly work you way up to bigger dosages. I started taking niacin yesterday and I started with the 100mg dosage which is 500% of the daily value. Ill probably do 100mg for a couple days before I go to 200mg.

I found this googling. Apparently this person takes niacin with MSM, kind of interesting.

http://yarchive.net/med/niacin.html

Newsgroups: sci.med

Subject: Re: Question about Niacin (Vitamin B3)

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:18:34 -0800

Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Kiddo wrote in message ...

>Well, as helpful as this reply was. Its not what I'm looking for. First of,

>I'm not using Niacin to lower my cholesterol. I'm using it to combat acne,

>and its doing a damn good job, first time since I was 12 that I haven't had

>a single new spot in over a week. This MUST be due to the more efficient

>exchange of nutrients/toxins between the cells of my skin and the blood

>(Dilated capillaries, more blood flow to surface of the skin = takes more

>toxins away, gives more nutrients). So, basically I WANT the flush. Its

>helping my face to wonders. Combined with MSM (MSM causes your cell walls to

>"put out" toxins easier, and "take in" nutrients easier) this is the best

>cure for acne I have ever tried (and believe me, I've tried a lot of them,

>almost everything except Accutane, yuck cant believe that shit is legal).

>

>Regardless, so what I need to know is:

>

>Will my capillaries stay dilated even after (example, guess) 3 grams doesn't

>cause a flush?

Short answer: I don't know. Longer answer: I'm not sure that knowing

matters. Don't assume that even if niacin has an empirically salutary effect

on your acne, that that has *anything* to do with the flush or the histamine

release. In fact that last has to be somebody else's *assumption*; it's not

a fact you can get out of the medical literature. There may be no

association between the two effects. Acne is not just an infection-- it's

also an autoimmune reaction which is damped by immune modulators, and also

it's very responsive to things that change the texture and content of sebum

(oils in the diet, dietary B5 and biotin, etc). Niacin may be doing

something on its own in that direction.

Beware of quack explanations. They'll fasten onto the one thing they know

about a vitamin (dilates capillaries) and then use that to "explain" every

other use they want to put the stuff to. I've seen niacin recommended for

brain aging on the assumption that perhaps it increases brain blood flow

because of capillary dilation!

I suggest only that you don't go too far over 500 mg a day of niacin without

regular blood checks for liver toxicity, exactly as if you were using the

stuff for cholesterol inhibition.

Interesting. Do you guys know if it's okay to take Niacin with Accutane? My face is totally freaking out from an IB and I would to have something that would help clear it up, as I doubt my derm will give me prednisone (which I'm not sure if I even want with its numerous side effects).

Ask your derm.

im thinking of trying this but i'm already on 100mg of zinc so i dont want to piss off my liver. does anyone have any experience with niacin and taking other vitamins/minerals?

edit-

ok i gave in since i had a recent breakout and i really wanted to do something about it. i reduced my zinc dosage to 50mg a day and now im taking niacin. i bought 500mg tablets, but at the moment im splitting them into thirds so im taking somewhere around 150-175mg right now. ill be posting my results here.

one thing that i can say about niacin so far... it makes you itch

I feel like I have just broken out of prison to find the sky blue and the birds singing. My face is finally clear, six months before I turn 40. I have had acne since 1982, and it just got worse as I got older. In the last two years, it had really become horrible. I had cystic acne on my cheeks and nose, with some of the individual blemishes lasting for six months each. I also had hair follicles below the surface of my skin that would become encased with cysts, particularly when I ate fast food. I am very sympathetic to all the posts of people who understand how depressing it is go have to go to work, let alone any social event, with a bad complexion. I have felt that way for decades.

I have learned through experience that doctors have no idea what they are talking about, so I never bothered with a dermatologist. What I have tried includes the following: a low vegetable oil diet, antibiotics, AcnEase, Acnezine, Vitamin B5, Vitamin E, the 3-day apple diet, lots of other pills and of course all the soaps and creams you can think of. I also got my own prescription online for Differin gel, and have been using that every night for the past 6 months. To be fair, the AcnEase, Acnezine, and Differin were somewhat effective at reducing my acne, and the other stuff helped too, but up until last week I could never make it go away 100%.

8 days ago, in my usual desperate attempt to search the internet for a solution to my acne, I read that NIACIN "may be helpful at reducing acne." Continuing on my desperate and endless quest to find a natural solution, I strolled down to the store and bought a bottle of niacin. I took the first dose at 3 pm that day. In the middle of that same night I woke up and I could tell that my skin felt different, like it was somehow much less sensitive than usual. It felt like normal skin. I have been taking niacin all week, and you are simply not going to believe the results. I am telling you the 'acne' was gone in less than 24 hours, and the following 7 days was just a matter of the existing blemishes I had healing faster than I have ever seen before. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I have been eating fast food most of the week with no outbreaks. Now I love going to work and even have enough ambition to go to the gym. It has been a miracle! And it was all in a niacin bottle that you can get at Wal-Mart on the vitamin isle for $5. Tell that to your dermatologist! (but it will cost you $300 to do it) How much? Get the largest amount available and take the dosage recommended on the bottle. I did it with 400mg/day.

I really do not care if anyone believes me. This is my one and only post to this site. Maybe niacin only works for some kinds of acne. I don't know. I am still taking all the ingredients of Acnezine just in case. I nearly start to cry when I see others with a bad complexion because I know how awful they feel. Sometimes I just wanted my life to be over. That is what has driven me to post this, so that someone else might stumble upon it and finally get the results that I did after trying for so many years. Take Care.

I am 41 and just want to advise to be very careful with niacin it will enduce flushing and can lead to rosacea issuess. I avoid niacin at all costs as it makes me flush something awful.

Flushing is when you get a rush of blood to the head, like when you blush or get really out of breath - your face gets red and hot while it's happening.

Note it is also possible to get no-flush niacin ^^

I am 41 and just want to advise to be very careful with niacin it will enduce flushing and can lead to rosacea issuess. I avoid niacin at all costs as it makes me flush something awful.

Which is why you want niacinimide, not niacin.

Hey guys

I went to walgreens to look for a bottle of Niacin and they have a 500mg bottle that is flush-free (wont make you turn red) for $13. I will post my results later in the week.

post-106538-1246398778_thumb.jpg

post-106538-1246398778_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

I went to walgreens to look for a bottle of Niacin and they have a 500mg bottle that is flush-free (wont make you turn red) for $13. I will post my results later in the week.

Thats awesome, if this works for u im defineately going to pick up a bottle and see if it helps my Seb dermatitis.

i actually bought the flushing kind on purpose. technically you want the flush, because it means that theres more blood flow to your skin. its just a natural sign that your body is detoxing.

edit/update

ok its been 3 days since taking my first dose of niacin. right now i upped the dose to 250mg today and since the day i took niacin i have not had a new breakout. my back looks amazing and hasnt looked this good in a while, ive been treating it with head and shoulders for months but now im starting to see results. i stopped using all my products and just letting my skin detox and so far it's been great i'm just waiting for two cysts to go away, but i got those before using niacin.

i also stopped snacking in between meals meaning i havent had chips, chocolate, etc. for a good 3 days, so this might also be contributing to the results.

I hope this works. Ordered today from naturesremedy.co.uk

I am 39 and still mildly plagued.

Still can't confidently plan a social gathering.

Worst thing is having my Daughter suffer and I feel kinda like it's my fault.

I am very pleased for you man but there is no excuse for a diet of junk food!

Can you take this in conjunction with other vitamins? Currently I take Vitamin A, D, C, E and Calicum. I was taking Zinc a few weeks ago but recently stopped.

Thanks!

ok right now im taking 250mg of niacin daily in conjunction with fish oil, vitamin d, and zinc. and so far the results are VERY GOOD. my back has never looked this good ever, everything is fading away. i have no active acne just red marks that are slowly fading away on my face. it seems like niacin tightens your pores because it really does make your face feel a little different.

i would be careful with taking tooo many supplements with niacin because it'll take a toll on your liver. and to start at a low dose like 100 mg, and dont buy the nonflushing kind (niacinimide). i started at 100mg and every 3 days ive been working my way up. last night i did 400mg and i had a pretty intense flush. its a very werid feeling its like your having a sunburn and you can feel so much blood rushing to your head its not too enjoyable. if you have a flush just take a cold shower or do something to keep your mind off of things, it only lasts for 30-60 minutes.

we definately need more people on niacin and i think the mods should move this topic to the nutrition/holistic health forum

**UPDATE JULY**

It has been just over a month since I made this discovery. I have stopped taking all other medication and only take a daily dose of 500mg no-flush niacin that I bought at the grocery store. I have realized that the multivitamin that I have been taking for the last 10 years has 50mg of niacin, so that was obviously never enough. My face now continues to heal wonderfully, including what I thought was permanent scarring. I have been eating lots of pizza and french fries lately. I guess I am making up for all the years when I could not touch that stuff without dire consequences. I even have a lovely girlfriend now who is considerably younger than I am. Two months ago I would not have had the confidence or the inclination to even talk to girls because I felt like a monster. I am glad to see that a few people have also had positive results from taking niacin.

Interesting that you are using the no-flush variety. Could you tell us what brand of niacin you are using and what the actual ingredient is on the side since Niacin seems to come in several forms?

By the way, has the niacin affected the oiliness of your skin at all?