Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonic999

Noobie questions on IPL laser treatment for rosacea

I made an appointment to get a laser treatment on my face in 3 weeks' time. The doctor explained the procedure, showed me pics of other patients he treated (with very good results) and then suggested I should use sunblock for a full three weeks before the operation. Apparently, the machine is a Lumenis Quantum. The goal I'm after is the reduction of redness on cheeks, forehead and nose, and hoping also that the procedure will normalize my sebaceous glands' daily excess oil production which clogs each and every one of my pores. I've white heads on nose, cheeks and forehead.. and a couple of blackheads on my nose. I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. I forgot to ask what could be done about that. My hair looks healthy though, and I shower every day, but if I scratch my scalp, I can pick up little white "gunk" (dandruff like, but oilier) with my nails. No biggie, I'm more concerned about my face.

During my daily morning shower (or "showers" if I take another one before going to bed) I use a sponge on my face and regular Dove soap to exfoliate, to try to remove the gunk in my bigger pores (on nose, around nose and on cheeks)... they're so hard to get, I have to use my nails carefully not to damage the skin. The ones on the side of my nose are specially big and hard to get. Right after getting out of the shower, my face looks red, but ok... then the redness sort of settles to a lighter colour (much like a light suntan) and the pores tend to close and you can barely notice I've whiteheads all over. But after half an hour if I go back to a mirror, I can see tiny little oil drops in my pores. A few hours later (maybe 6-7 hours), my face looks oily again and if you look closely, many of the pores are bigger and carry once again more "white gunk".

The general look of my face is that of a guy who went skiing and used goggles. The skin around my eyes looks white, with a weird semicircle near my cheekbones, and the rest is reddish. It'll look a lot red when running, practicing sports, right after a shower, also under stressful situations (e.g. an oral exam - good thing I'm through with those) and also while eating hot or spicy food. Same ol' triggers for anyone with rosacea.

I'll be posting good quality pics later on tonight or tomorrow.

But I've been reading a lot on this subforum, and was wondering if any of you guys/gals who are more experienced on this subject, could tell me if there's any difference between all these lasers... Fraxel, Lumenis Quantum, Lumenis One, CO2... cause it seems lots of people are using them for practically the same purpose, but I haven't seen a discussion about the pros and cons of each one, or a "vs." comparison... or simply put, which one's better for a rosacea treatment.

My doctor said that what I have is mild rosacea, I guess it's type 1 according to what I've read here... and that the laser will take care of it in 2 to 3 procedures (US 600 each - I'm in Argentina). But all these different lasers have me puzzled... even more now that I've read that Lumenis One is supposed to be a "fourth generation laser", whereas the Quantum is a "third generation" one (hence older and... not so advanced and accurate?).

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

P.S.: I've just finished uploading the pics in my gallery. Dunno when they'll be available, I guess in 24hs pending approval.

^ Sonic, I also have enlarged pores on my face and have that white gunk (near and on the eyebrows only). After a shower, when the air is humid I can scrape off this white gunk off with my fingernail. Do you or anyone know how to stop this? It's creating eyebrow hair loss.

^ Sonic, I also have enlarged pores on my face and have that white gunk (near and on the eyebrows only). After a shower, when the air is humid I can scrape off this white gunk off with my fingernail. Do you or anyone know how to stop this? It's creating eyebrow hair loss.

No, I'm sorry (have you asked a derm?)... I've had my 1st IPL session, and the gunk's still there, though the doctor said the IPL would stop the sebaceous glands oil production (maybe it'll go away with some more sessions, who knows?)... anyway, it appears to me that my pores are smaller and there's less gunk inside. I can remove it easily when I shower, by looking closely at a mirror... it's scary how you can see all the pores with this stuff inside.

I would suggest you repost this question on http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_Forum/. No offense to acne.org, but it is a way better forum for rosacea specific questions.

Absolutely, I agree this forum has very few rosaceans, so I moved my questions to rosaceagroup as well. Thanks Maver1ck!

You sound like you have sensitive skin along with acne, I've been there. Try this: Get Sheseido facial brush, use with foaming cleanser or Dove, circular motion on bar, circular motion on face, rinse well, rinse brush also. If you used make-up, clean brush on Dove or cleanser again, hang to dry, keep out of puddles in shower. Use gently to exfoliate, a bit harder to get out grime. Gets rid of whiteheads/blackheads.

For those with sensitive skin it works as well. Wait a few minutes for face to dry then also use witch hazel, don't worry I look 10 years younger and I've used it for years, works great after wash. Pat gently only. Then go to your Gen Med doctor get sulfacet r with tint instead of make-up and use it 3 times a day, washing your face when you can before. Use before bedtime too. Insurance covers most of it, 10-12 dollars a jar w/insurance. Use one or two jars a month.

GUYS USE NO TINT SULFACET R.

(Sulfacet r is mainly used for rosacea, but is wonderful for acne)

After washing, pat skin dry. Do not rub, constantly touch or pick at your face.

No more acne...stop eating junk food, you are what you eat...cheating sometimes is okay, but be careful. Everyone in my family cleared up this way. We ranged from cystic acne to teeny pimples all over.

Clear skin finally!!!!

Sheseido brush, I forgot go to Sephora in store ordering to get your facial brush. It will really help clean out your pores. Do it morning and night, not too hard in shower. Unfortunately, I too had white gunk on my nose. The facial brush went deep and cleaned it out, but you must do it daily. I'm a female, and I wear makeup sometimes, that's how many females keep their face clean and not gunked up with make-up and oily glands. Get a good facial brush, be careful not to get to tough of a brush though. Be kind to your skin. That's why I suggest Sheseido facial brush.

Hey! I have a question about IPL laser...does it treat red marks, lef after acne?

Which laser does that anyways? I have so many of them...:(

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been following a similar exfolliation treatment, along with IPL and a lotion (erythromicine 4% and salicylic acid 2%). I'm happy to inform that it has helped a lot in reducing the oil and pores... now my skin is very soft and the redness has toned down a lot.

Anyway, I'm looking at some pics of that shiseido brush, and I'm under the impression that it's way too light for the kind of problem I had with my pores... I needed something stronger (I'm using a mild sponge anyway, but it's hard enough to clean the pores effectively). Maybe I'll get the shiseido for my skin now, that it's softer and may need a gentler brush.

rjavolaska, laser or IPL may be the best answer to red marks. I don't exactly have red marks, just plain redness all over (rosacea, the permanent kind)... and IPL along with the treatment I followed has helped a lot in reducing the redness I have.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been following a similar exfolliation treatment, along with IPL and a lotion (erythromicine 4% and salicylic acid 2%). I'm happy to inform that it has helped a lot in reducing the oil and pores... now my skin is very soft and the redness has toned down a lot.

Anyway, I'm looking at some pics of that shiseido brush, and I'm under the impression that it's way too light for the kind of problem I had with my pores... I needed something stronger (I'm using a mild sponge anyway, but it's hard enough to clean the pores effectively). Maybe I'll get the shiseido for my skin now, that it's softer and may need a gentler brush.

rjavolaska, laser or IPL may be the best answer to red marks. I don't exactly have red marks, just plain redness all over (rosacea, the permanent kind)... and IPL along with the treatment I followed has helped a lot in reducing the redness I have.

Thanks for the answer :)

I am defenitely going to pay for IPL laser treatments, after I am done with ~tane course.

I can't wait! But I still have 6 months to go...-.-

can somebody tell me the estimated cost for both a derm visit and per IPL treatment? (in the united states in south florida area)

Edited by IamPi