Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SClippers

Can you pass on the side effects of Accutane?

As stupid as this sounds I was wondering, I googled my query to no avail. Say I, as a result of Accutane had x, x, and x side effects. Somewhere down the line I plan on having a child and was wondering if I could pass on the side effects I inherited as a result of being on the meds. From what I've read on here Accutane manipulates or changes your DNA or something to that effect, does that also mean you'll be passing that on?

For example, hair loss.

Thanks in advance.

For a woman, I'm inclined to say no because females are born with all of the eggs they'll ever have (which is now under scrutiny). For men, this is a great question since DNA replication is continuous. I'd love to see what biology junkies have to say about your question (there are a few floating around :) ). Fascinating stuff, and again, good question!

Yeah you can provided the stem cells in your sexual organs had been mutated by accutane. However it remains to be seen on whether accutane causes mutation, there hasn't been much study done so till than I would say no, its is highly impossible.

Also there is the process of meiosis, a human body has approximately 30000 genes and during meiosis, there is constant process of genetic recombination whereby genetic material is exchanged between the paired chromosomes. This will result in gametes(sex cells) or sperms that are totally different from each other. The mutation will most probably be lost in the thousands or even millions of the sperms produce( 1 sperm to many other sperms that do not carry the mutation). So what are the chances of of you passing down the side effects? Very little. Most of the time people with genetic diseases tend to have half/ entire chromosome mutated, however due people marrying outside the family, genetic diseases are getting less mainly due to this genetic recombination.

You have to consider also on where the gene is being mutated. Supposedly its being mutated in the recessive gene of the chromosome and by chance, this mutated sperm happens to be the one that fertilises your wife's egg. Your wife will carry a similar gene but in this case, hers is dominant. Thus your child will therefore express your wife's gene instead of yours because hers is dominant over yours. As a result, that mutation will be supressed as well.

I hope its not too complicated to understand. There are more to this meiosis stuff but I want to tried to keep it as simple as possible.

^ Thanks for the above, really insightful. But isn't 2-butoxyethanol and ethylene glycol monobutyl a teratogen that targets the testes and reproductive system?

^ Thanks for the above, really insightful. But isn't 2-butoxyethanol and ethylene glycol monobutyl a teratogen that targets the testes and reproductive system?

Surely we should be able to see some stats on this. This drug has been in the market long enough for some users to have had children.

Retinoic acid does not cause mutations.

It affects gene expression which is directly related to transcription and translation.

Surely we should be able to see some stats on this. This drug has been in the market long enough for some users to have had children.

With all the stress of iPledge maybe women are too scared to have kids even AFTER the drug haha

Edited by paparazzi25

As stupid as this sounds I was wondering, I googled my query to no avail. Say I, as a result of Accutane had x, x, and x side effects. Somewhere down the line I plan on having a child and was wondering if I could pass on the side effects I inherited as a result of being on the meds. From what I've read on here Accutane manipulates or changes your DNA or something to that effect, does that also mean you'll be passing that on?

For example, hair loss.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - My daughter finished a course of accutane at the beginning of April - she started to increase weight and had quite a lot of rosacea even though we watched her diet at the time. Try to cut down on any foods high in cholestral as it seems to send levels high. Follow the instructions and watch your diet! However we did get good results but her acne started coming back again so determined for her not to go back on it I was convinced there must be another way of handling it. Have a look at my post just now - Chitty - cut out Evian water if you are drinking it a lot and have 1 or 2 cups of green tea, up your protein intake with every meal, cut out milk and butter, up the good omega fats!! Buy some essentials mineral makup - wont clog pores. brilliant results!

For example, hair loss.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - My daughter finished a course of accutane at the beginning of April - she started to increase weight and had quite a lot of rosacea even though we watched her diet at the time. Try to cut down on any foods high in cholestral as it seems to send levels high. Follow the instructions and watch your diet! However we did get good results but her acne started coming back again so determined for her not to go back on it I was convinced there must be another way of handling it. Have a look at my post just now - Chitty - cut out Evian water if you are drinking it a lot and have 1 or 2 cups of green tea, up your protein intake with every meal, cut out milk and butter, up the good omega fats!! Buy some essentials mineral makup - wont clog pores. brilliant results!

I dont mean to be rude - but Im curious...are you saying accutane didnt work, THEN you tgot your daughter to drink green tea, change her make up and - poof - acne no more?? If this is the case, did you honestly not think about making dietry changes and make up changes BEFORE letting her take a serious drug??? I dont mean to sound patronising, Im not against accutane at all, but I think making changes as simple as the ones you have described are standard things EVERYONE tries to do to 'cure' their acne.....not wait til after accutane to try something simple?!?!?