Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

- Hey everyone. I've been an active acne sufferer for 7 years now, It started when I was 12 and I now am 19. I used to break out terribly along my jaw line and mouth area. I know it's hormonal because I break out terribly a week in half before my period. Other than that I'll have many white heads and blackheads that turn into pimples through out the course of the month. Anyways, I've been doing a lot of research regarding Spiro and I have an apt with my dermatologist on Tuesday. He but me on Neostrata facial cleanser and duac at night...It seemed to help somewhat the first month and half however this month I noticed I started getting cyst like pimples that I haven't had in awhile. In fact, I've been on yaz for a year and I haven't had any really like that until now. I know yaz has 25 mg of spiro in it and I was wondering the dosage that I should suggest to my derm. I weigh 110 5'3 and I work out everyday. I have been on oral medication before and he wanted to put me on some other form of antibiotic however I don't want to put my body through a medication and have to change it if it doesn't work. I don't really like to put anything into my body, I don't even take Advil. However, I truly believe spiro will help me because I have all the symptoms...excess facial hair oily skin breakouts along jawline and before yaz my acne was way worse. That gives me another indication that spiro will def help me. If anyone has any information regarding my situation I'd highly apperciate it!

P.S. Anyone have any tips of convincing my derm that I'm a good candidate for spiro? I'm thinking of bringing in research. He's a really nice man who works in Beverly Hills...I hope he's open minded. eeek.....

- I went to the derm today and he was really upset and aggravated that I showed up with research about spiro and that I was suggesting I think it would work wonders for my body. He said he had never heard of spiro being used to treat acne. Instead I got a few cortisone shots and an antibiotic called "Doryx." I don't want to be on an antibiotic that may or may not work and then have to switch to another antibiotic. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE! Does anyone live in the LA AREA and knows where someone will prescribe me spiro? He suggested accuntane if this medication didn't work and in my head I was thinking....accutane, from what I read seems to be harder on your body then spiro.....SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

Please help. I've suffered from acne for 7 years. I can't tale it anymore. I let it destroy my life completely. Please. I live in the santa monica area, California. I need to see someone who agrees that spiro is a good drug not the devil....anyone?~!?!?!

An endocrinologist would incline more toward prescribing Spironolactone. If all succumbs, one can duly secure a prescription intraweb with relative ease. =]

I get a kick out of your posts for some reason. Your language is different and kind of ethereal. The endo I took my daughter to was an idiot and would not listen to us at all. He said he never had any luck with Spiro. Also, our first derm was a knucklehead. The second one listened and prescribed. Now he prescribes it for lots of people I hear. Sometimes it take a couple of docs to get what you want.

An endocrinologist would incline more toward prescribing Spironolactone. If all succumbs, one can duly secure a prescription intraweb with relative ease. =]

I get a kick out of your posts for some reason. Your language is different and kind of ethereal. The endo I took my daughter to was an idiot and would not listen to us at all. He said he never had any luck with Spiro. Also, our first derm was a knucklehead. The second one listened and prescribed. Now he prescribes it for lots of people I hear. Sometimes it take a couple of docs to get what you want.

Does anyone live in the Santa Monica/ California area? That knows someone who will prescribe it for me?~?~?

- Anyone know of anyone that will prescribe me spiro for acne? I've suffered for 7 years and I've had it. I went to the derm today and he said he had never heard of anyone using spiro for acne. He prescribed me doryx which I really don't know if it will work or not.....PLEASE HELP. DEAR GOD. PLEASSE/

Switch Dr.'s! Especially if he acted like he did and never has heard of spiro. Some dr.'s are old school and might not be up with the times. I've been on this medicine for 8+ months and it's ben a miracle drug for me! :lol:

Switch Dr.'s! Especially if he acted like he did and never has heard of spiro. Some dr.'s are old school and might not be up with the times. I've been on this medicine for 8+ months and it's ben a miracle drug for me! :lol:

I agree, even if he is not covered by insurance, find one until you get what you want. Lips could call around and just ask the receptionists or their nurses if they incorporate spiro into their treatment program.

Kathy, how long before it kicked in for you? My daughter has been on a lower dose of spiro and now on 100 mgs + yaz for about 7 weeks and she is very broken out. The kind that's hard to cover. She was crystal clear last winter when she decided maybe she had outgrown acne and quit everything. Sometimes I think it will never clear up again or that the acne gods are angry now and that it won't work again.

Hey lips, just wanted to tell you not to panic. The Doryx will probably clear you up in the amount of time that spiro would anyway. In the meantime, you can concentrate on finding a doctor who will prescribe it. The last time my daughter was on this combo she was not completely clear until about the 5 mos. point. Either way it can be a slow process that requires patience.

I agree, even if he is not covered by insurance, find one until you get what you want. Lips could call around and just ask the receptionists or their nurses if they incorporate spiro into their treatment program.

Kathy, how long before it kicked in for you? My daughter has been on a lower dose of spiro and now on 100 mgs + yaz for about 7 weeks and she is very broken out. The kind that's hard to cover. She was crystal clear last winter when she decided maybe she had outgrown acne and quit everything. Sometimes I think it will never clear up again or that the acne gods are angry now and that it won't work again.

It kicked in right about 7 to 8 weeks, so hang in there! When I 1st started, OMG! I was breaking out twice as much but I kept with it becuz of reading these forums and trusting my derm. I started with 25mg 2x a day + Tazorac topical, and after the 1st month, she put me on Doxycline (anti-biotic) but then switched me to 50mgs 2x a day about month 3 and I really saw a change! Like I don't have break outs, the cyst are gone and haven't had one in months, even my blackheads! I LOVE this medicine. Hang in there :dance:

I talked to my parents and such....They are worried because of the pottasium levels which means you have to worry about your heart....but im desperate...everyone keeps saying its really not that big of a deal...but it is to me....it has overtaken my life and im so sad cause of it....I don't want to get on antibiotics because theres a chance that it wont work and you cant be on it forever...spiro seems liks a good option for me because I know its hormonal acne....and im extremely oily all the time...I hate this. I hate waiting. I hate crying over it. I hate wanting to go out but at the same time I can't because of my stupid acne. ughl....im so frustrated. He prescribed dorxy but i dont know if that will work for me...I'm going to hawaii in a week and I don't want to break out even more....i hate being sad.

I talked to my parents and such....They are worried because of the pottasium levels which means you have to worry about your heart....but im desperate...everyone keeps saying its really not that big of a deal...but it is to me....it has overtaken my life and im so sad cause of it....I don't want to get on antibiotics because theres a chance that it wont work and you cant be on it forever...spiro seems liks a good option for me because I know its hormonal acne....and im extremely oily all the time...I hate this. I hate waiting. I hate crying over it. I hate wanting to go out but at the same time I can't because of my stupid acne. ughl....im so frustrated. He prescribed dorxy but i dont know if that will work for me...I'm going to hawaii in a week and I don't want to break out even more....i hate being sad.

Have you talked to your parents about other options, like laser treatments. There is a new laser called Isolaz that is being offered in Santa Monica. Dr. Ava Shambam or something like that is the doc. You should check out the thread over in the laser light treatments forum. I think it can be a viable option, just kind of spendy and not a permanent solution as you have to keep up with it. As for the spiro, once you find a doc, he will check your blood levels for the potassium issue. I still freak out about it occasionally concerning my daughter. She does too as she is a nurse. I feel your pain. I so wish you the best. I got some very good advice once from my esthetician. She said, "so you're breaking out, so what, just put more makeup on". I was just like you, freaking out and upset. This is temporary - you will get through it. Think positively. I bet the sun and salt water in Hawaii will help you. I hope you have a fab trip.

It kicked in right about 7 to 8 weeks, so hang in there! When I 1st started, OMG! I was breaking out twice as much but I kept with it becuz of reading these forums and trusting my derm. I started with 25mg 2x a day + Tazorac topical, and after the 1st month, she put me on Doxycline (anti-biotic) but then switched me to 50mgs 2x a day about month 3 and I really saw a change! Like I don't have break outs, the cyst are gone and haven't had one in months, even my blackheads! I LOVE this medicine. Hang in there :dance:

Yeah, she is pretty "cysty" right now. She has really big bumps. It's so amazing what hormones can do. Last winter she was clear as a bell with not even a red mark. She is pretty sure it's going to work again since it worked the first time. This time she is on more spiro. It's just taking it's sweet time this time. Acne gets pretty stubborn. As a derm once said to us "it's a tough problem". Not something you want to here from your derm actually. My worst nightmare is that it will not work this time. I such a worry wart. We are looking into laser treatments to hurry up the process. She is an amazing kid and it makes me love and admire her all the more for her amazing attitude toward it.