Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittiesgorawr8521

Does Accutane cause pock marks and other deep scarring?

I'm on the thirty day waiting thing, since I'm a girl, and I'm hoping that Accutane will cure my acne, since I'm pretty resistant to anti-biotics. I do get the pesky red/dark marks after a zit goes away, but I don't get pock marks or ice pick scarring and such. Will Accutane cause me to get deep scarring if I start taking it? I'm really freaked out about that right now!

Unfortunately, it does contain the scarring risk. As the course progresses, the skin thins and heals very slowly. This can lead to indented and other forms of scarring since the healing process is hindered. Not everyone goes through this and I only experienced 1 dented scar on a 4 month course, but yes, the risk is definitely there.

I'm on the thirty day waiting thing, since I'm a girl, and I'm hoping that Accutane will cure my acne, since I'm pretty resistant to anti-biotics. I do get the pesky red/dark marks after a zit goes away, but I don't get pock marks or ice pick scarring and such. Will Accutane cause me to get deep scarring if I start taking it? I'm really freaked out about that right now!

Ahh I see. Thank you. Do you know if there's any way to prevent scarring like that?

the red marks and stuff present when a pimple goes away may take 6-8 months to go away, if you get cuts and stuff on the medication they take forever to heal, and redness will stay behind for awhile also, my skin got cut up doing mixed martial arts, and a small rash from rubbing against someone has taken over a month to heal.

Im nearly a year post accutane and i still take forever to heal. I got road rash on my forehead over a month ago and its still red. About a week ago my friend got some road rash on his forehead (lol) almost identical to mine and It has almost completely healed.

Guest Timehealsall

bump

does this apply to VERY low doses of accutane as well (10-20 mg even 40 mg)?

It's the cumulative dose that matters. You reach a maximum dose based on your body weight. It doesn't matter what strength you take each day just that you reach the maximum dose for it to be effective. I think 1-2mg per kg for total dose.

bump

does this apply to VERY low doses of accutane as well (10-20 mg even 40 mg)?

hmmm there is a possibility but id like to think its low in this case.