Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
juellz_72

Pimples bigger and stronger

hi guys, i'm new here so sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

i have been using dan's regime for nearly 3 years now. the first year was great, totally clear. the second year was fine as well but i would have an odd pimple occasionally but i would just spot treat it with bp. this year got trickier, i developed sweat pimples on my forehead that i have never had before and everytime i did get a pimple it was bigger and a lot thicker than i ever had. it was like my skin was getting used to bp and it was fighting back. the pimples were so big that they would leave a crater-like scar for months!

mind you, i have never changed my products that i use. which is cetaphil cleanser, bp, cetaphil moisturiser and a bp oxy concealer for breakouts for these years. only suddenly, my skin has been 'rejecting' it.

my questions are after a while, can your skin get use to bp 2.5% and 'fight back'? should i move to 5%? and is this normal? am i the only one who's experiencing this? and how long does this regime recommend us to use for?

thanks for the help!

From the FAQs:

Q: Will my skin become resistant to the beneficial effect of BP?

A: Propionibacterium Acnes (P. Acnes), the bacteria in acne lesions, can not survive in the presence of oxygen. BP creates oxygen. Therefore, it is physically impossible for this bacteria to develop a resistance. If the Regimen works at first, it should always work.

oh that info made me feel a lot better now. i'm not sure what's changed so much in my life, but i'll have a look at those factors you pointed out.

thank you heaps!

eventually skin rejects anything foreign such as chemicals like benzoyl peroxide, it can take days, weeks or several years but eventually skin will get angry and retaliate with a vengence. so i dont know what to say what you can do, maybe lessen the amount until you stop using it hopefully your skin will react.

Adam, acne bacteria isn't going to become resistant to death any more than you or I are.

If P. Acnes can't survive in oxygenated environments, it can't survive in oxygenated environments. And since BP creates oxygen, it's going to keep on killing P. Acnes.