Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kairasa

My experience going off of Doxycycline.

Hello all. Considering the amount of information about antibiotics, both informational and misleading, I thought I would keep this miniature log of my gradualstop of the anti-biotic Doxycycline.

Some facts:

- I've been on it for 18 months.

- My dosage was 100mg twice a day. This seemed quite strong considering the other dosages I have read about for people half my size. (I'm 5'6 and around 114 lbs).

- I had moderate acne beforehand, but now have mild.

- I have been using Duac gel for 2 years now as a spot treatment in the mornings and Differin .1% for almost a year at night.

- I wash with Cetaphil daily facial wash (not the gentle version). I moisturize with a 50/50 mixture of Cetaphil moisturizing cream and 100% Aloe Vera gel.

My strategy to completely stop this antibiotic:

I have given myself one month. This means 14 days of lowering the dose to once a day (100mg insted of 200mg). Because I forgot to order probiotics I am eating a cup of yogurt every evening, to hopefully replenish my body with good bacteria.

After the first two weeks, I will be taking doxy every other night, and continuing the yogurt use. I have also started taking 1000mg of Vitamin C once a day, because my immune health isn't as great as it could be.

Anyways, I thought this mini-log would be handy for those of you considering going off your anti biotics. Honestly, if I knew now what I knew then, I wouldn't of went on them. I had no adverse side effects, but it's not a long term solution, and I realize that now.

Days 1-3

So far, so good. It's too early to tell if I am going to have a breakout or not. Let's see what happens from here!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for creating this thread!

I'm in the same boat as you with the antibiotics, I am being weaned off at my request. I started taking antibiotics on 4/13/2009. My goal is to be completely off by the end of this month.

A couple of questions for you.

I'm in the first week of June and i'm taking one pill 50mg every night. My derm said if i'm feeling really good about my skin I can start taking one every other night. I am feeling pretty good about my skin, good enough to take one every other night. Should I start doing that next week?

Also, i'm using clindamycin as a topical. Isn't that an antibiotic too? Does that have the same harmful effects as an antibiotic in pill form?

I will stay tuned for more entries in your log. :)

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * Check out Bee's site- read it and try it.

Seriously I'm having good results with this website/diet. I've been on and off antibiotics for 5+ years (bactrim, doxycycline, kephlex, minocycline). Some I've been on for one or two weeks to kick out my infection/acne and the longest I've been on an antibiotics is 5 months. I just quit friday may 29th and started the diet the same day. I slowly weened off all carbs/sugars/dairy. It's 7 days into the diet and I have no new spots on my face. My face is healing and less red. I'm not a bs(er) this is the best thing I ever did for myself. Even though I do want to eat donuts and cake and bread, but it's not worth it in the long run.

I'm in the first week of June and i'm taking one pill 50mg every night. My derm said if i'm feeling really good about my skin I can start taking one every other night. I am feeling pretty good about my skin, good enough to take one every other night. Should I start doing that next week?

Also, i'm using clindamycin as a topical. Isn't that an antibiotic too? Does that have the same harmful effects as an antibiotic in pill form?

I will stay tuned for more entries in your log. :)

You are on a pretty low dose, so I think you will be fine to start taking it every other day. I'm on four times that amount (only twice now).

Yeah, it is a type of antibiotic, but it doesn't work in the same way. I'm not completely sure if it has the same effects, but I'm pretty it doesn't.

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/ Check out Bee's site- read it and try it.

Seriously I'm having good results with this website/diet. I've been on and off antibiotics for 5+ years (bactrim, doxycycline, kephlex, minocycline). Some I've been on for one or two weeks to kick out my infection/acne and the longest I've been on an antibiotics is 5 months. I just quit friday may 29th and started the diet the same day. I slowly weened off all carbs/sugars/dairy. It's 7 days into the diet and I have no new spots on my face. My face is healing and less red. I'm not a bs(er) this is the best thing I ever did for myself. Even though I do want to eat donuts and cake and bread, but it's not worth it in the long run.

Thank you for this, but I honestly am not giving up food I want to eat. Life is too short.lol

I'm terrified to go off of mine. If I try, after like 4 days I break out :(

Good Luck

Aw wow, I'm sorry. And thank you!

Day 4-6

So far I've had the normal amount of acne, with the exception of one larger pimple on my forehead, but I'm pretty sure it's been in the works for a while, so I don't think it has to do with the antibiotics.

I think it will take another week to start to see if it has any adverse affect. I'll keep you all updated.

Days 7-8

Well, a week has officially passed. Unfortunately, the situation isn't looking too bright, but I'm not entirely sure if it's because of the antibiotics, or me being an idiot.

My best friend's 21st birthday was last week, and I celebrated with him on Friday/Saturday combo. No, alcohol was not involved at all, but making crazy amounts of baked goods was, and also...I drank milk for the first time in ages. I have no idea if milk is an irritant for me or not, but I was really thirsty and decided to drink a glass. Wow, it's just as disgusting as I remember. Kudos to you all that love milk. Even 100% fat free leaves this wretched coating and aftertaste in my mouth. World of no.

I will post some pictures later, but I have about 4 new pimples, and I'm not sure the cause of them. I have also been using Differin a bit more liberally, so I suspect that the closed 'bumps' that have been surfacing and staying on my face for ages now are finally emerging. It is very strange, considering I've been on differin for a year, but what I have learned is that unless you apply the exact same amount on your entire face consistently, it's not very effective. At least not for me.

Another minor issue is that I need a new refill of my Doxy, just to finish the next three weeks, but I run out this week and my derm (who I haven't seen since November) said I have to have an office visit first. Great. We'll see how that will go considering she's only in her office once a month and I work 5 days a week 45 minutes away.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'll keep you all updated. Here's to hoping it improves!

Yeah it might suck not eating what you want or what you like. However, our western society is addicted to many hazardous foods/ingredients (processed foods, perservatives, hydrogenated oils, high fructose sugar, aspartme, saccharin, etc...). Most of the American diet is Carbs, sugars, and omega 6. Hmmm.... Houston we have a problem. Honestly I think that is the cause of many illnesses/diseases. Sugar supresses the immune system. Carbohydrates turn into sugar if not used by the body which suppresses the immune system. Omega 6 is pro-inflammation.

My overall health now from the diet after 8 days is FANTASTIC. I can still eat things I like, like: most meats, vegetables, eggs, and fish. So what if I can't eat a piece of cake or bread or an oreo. Those things are way more dentramental to your health than you might realize or that I may realize.

This is my opinion and I respect yours!

You already know about my son, was on Doxy twice a day 100mg for 2 months, then for 2 weeks 100mg once a day, had to stop due to sinus infection and took Spectracef for 10 days, he has been off all antibitotics for 14 days, he has not broken out yet, will update in acouple of weeks.

I beleive Diet is also the key to everything going wrong in the body, I never had acne just the ocassional pimple here and there many years ago, my problems is that I always feel fatigue, a doctors I went to many years ago told me to follow the diet Nightdiguise is doing. they tested my hair and told me I had to much yeast. unfortunately I was not able to do the diet thats why I always feel like crap! I have to do more research on the types of foods allowed and maybe one day I will change my eating habits.

Kairasa please keep us updated, good Luck!

Here's to hoping it improves!

Wow, i'm so sorry to hear about your 4 new pimples, keep moving forward though. I suspect it's the milk that brought this onset of new lesions. You may have an intolerance to it.

Next week is my last week on minocycline and i'm scared to death! This morning I noticed my skin is a bit bumpier and more uneven than before. I think it's because of the BHA I am using, I bought Paula's Choice BHA 1% lotion and have been wearing it for about a week. I don't apply it every night if I notice that my skin is too dry I won't use it. Anyway, I hope that it's just exfoliating my skin and that I won't break out in horrible cysts like I did from too much BP. I am trying to slowly incorporate it into my regimen.

Please keep us update on your progress, I hope things get better for you!

Thanks guys, and I didn't mean I wouldn't modify my diet, but I"m not changing it extremely. For one, it is too hard considering I currently live with people and they decide my meals. Two, in the fall I have college and I honestly try to buy as healthy foods as I can on a budget. Plus, I don't eat meat so cutting out even more food makes getting necessary nutrients almost impossible.

OH, and bad news. :mad: My derm is on vacation this week so I have to wait until Monday to call back and MAYBE see if they'll do anything. If not, I have to wait until June 25th!!! Yes...might as well of quit antibiotics cold turkey. I just hope nothing too bad happens. :(

Ive been weaning myself off of Doxy 75mg. Its been a little more than two weeks of taking it every other morning and so far my skin has been fine. I think my birth control is helping.

i've been on doryx since aug 2008. hasn't helped one bit. idk what the point is in staying on it if if doesn't even work. and wouldn't you think being on long term antibiotics would cause the bacteria in your body to mutate and become stronger? (kinda like MRSA? methicillin resistant staph aurius)

idk. i'm no doctor, but that's just how i feel. the bacteria in my body just got stronger because i never had this problem of pustules until i started seeing a dermatologist and she put me on all kinds of meds.

Days 9-10

My earlier breakouts seem to be clearing up, which leads me to believe it was something I ate that caused them. I do have these small, non-inflamed bumps emerging in several spots, but that happens quite a lot and most of the time they don't become anything.

Unfortunately, instead of 30 days to wean off this medication, I get 11. :( After tomorrow I have no more pills, my doctor refuses to give me a prescription until I schedule an office visit (she's on vacation this week and she only has office hours once every two weeks on a thursday!). I personally think that's very rude of her to do this to me, considering she was the one who said that I didn't have to visit again until I felt the need to. PLUS, if she is going to say I need to schedule an appt before getting my prescription refilled...why the heck is she on vacation? That makes is quite near impossible.

Oh well, at this point I can only hope for the best.

Days 9-10

My earlier breakouts seem to be clearing up, which leads me to believe it was something I ate that caused them. I do have these small, non-inflamed bumps emerging in several spots, but that happens quite a lot and most of the time they don't become anything.

Unfortunately, instead of 30 days to wean off this medication, I get 11. :( After tomorrow I have no more pills, my doctor refuses to give me a prescription until I schedule an office visit (she's on vacation this week and she only has office hours once every two weeks on a thursday!). I personally think that's very rude of her to do this to me, considering she was the one who said that I didn't have to visit again until I felt the need to. PLUS, if she is going to say I need to schedule an appt before getting my prescription refilled...why the heck is she on vacation? That makes is quite near impossible.

Oh well, at this point I can only hope for the best.

Can you change derms, or are they pretty scarce where you're located?

I am down to taking 50mg of minocycline every other day. So far, no major break outs. I did get three tiny pimples, one on my chin, one on my forehead by my eyebrow, and the other on my left cheek. They are small and i'm applying tea tree oil every night so that they won't get any bigger. They are nothing to complain about, considering I was battling cysts not too long ago.

Good luck, I hope neither of us gets any major breakouts!

Im on day 20 and I plan on doing the every other day thing till I see my derm about possibly starting a low course of accutane.

Still no major breakouts.

Day 11

Well I took my last pill today. It's been almost two weeks of cutting the dose in half, and honestly, I think my face is okay, for now.

If I start to get major breakouts within the next few days, I will make a visit to my derm ASAP. I am calling monday to try and arrange an appointment. I am really nervous about all of this because I have heard horror stories of acne going frIom mild to severe, but I've also heard stories of people being completely fine. Let's hope I'm the latter!

Oh, and my breakouts are clearing up. I've been drinking a lot of water and I started working out on the treadmill yesterday.

Get your buns to a health food store and get some probiotics! Seriously, that was a very strong dose of doxy for your size - a good probiotic has helped my acne more than anything else. I use theralac - but it's expensive, about $40 a month. Other good ones are Enzymatic Therapies Pearls Immune or IC, and DDS Plus.

GOOD LUCK! :wub:

Day 11

Well I took my last pill today. It's been almost two weeks of cutting the dose in half, and honestly, I think my face is okay, for now.

If I start to get major breakouts within the next few days, I will make a visit to my derm ASAP. I am calling monday to try and arrange an appointment. I am really nervous about all of this because I have heard horror stories of acne going frIom mild to severe, but I've also heard stories of people being completely fine. Let's hope I'm the latter!

Oh, and my breakouts are clearing up. I've been drinking a lot of water and I started working out on the treadmill yesterday.

I'm glad your breakouts are clearing up! The pimple on my chin is redder and getting bigger, i'm starting to panic because I don't want it to get any bigger. I'm eating pretty healthy right now, so I really can't attribute these small breakouts to anything other than the tapering off of antibiotics or the BHA 1% I started using. I only use that every other day though, and it's only 1% sheesh.

Anyway, keep us updated on your progress. I still have like 3 more pills left, and my clyndamycin is on its last drops.

Hey guys/ladies,

I've been off Minocycline 50mg. for 13 days so far and I'm glad I chose to do it. I was suppose to be on it until the end of June/early July. I was on it for about 4 1/2 months. Before that I was on the same prescription for 3 months. That's too many antibiotics.

I am following a pretty strict diet right now. No sugar, no dairy (except butter), no breads/pastas/baked goods/etc (basically no high carbs)... All I am consuming right now is meat,fish,eggs,vegetables,butter, and cocnut oil/extra virgin olive oil.

I take some supplements... vitamin c, b-complex, nacin, calcium, magnesium, cod liver oil, soon will be taking vitamin a&d... Thats helping build up my immune system.

My skin is looking better everyday. I do have the occassional breakout, but right now everything is healing up. The breakouts are just toxins coming out through the skin. So in the process of healing and ridding myself of toxins these breakouts will continue for a little while. Nothing to worry about. I'm seeing better results than any antibiotics I've tried along with any topical stuff I tried.

Thats just my update on things.. Good luck kairasa!

Thanks for your suggestion, yet again Night Disguise, but like I said before, I'm not willing to cut all that out of my diet. I don't eat fish and many meat products as it is. I would have little to eat.

Oh, and

Day 12-14

It's not looking very good. I just signed up for paypal so pretty soon I should be receiving probiotics. That should help the situation, but right now i'm breaking out more than I have in a long while. It'll take some time to see if it's permanent or not. Or progressive.

I'll post pictures soon. =)

Thanks for your suggestion, yet again Night Disguise, but like I said before, I'm not willing to cut all that out of my diet. I don't eat fish and many meat products as it is. I would have little to eat.

Oh, and

Day 12-14

It's not looking very good. I just signed up for paypal so pretty soon I should be receiving probiotics. That should help the situation, but right now i'm breaking out more than I have in a long while. It'll take some time to see if it's permanent or not. Or progressive.

I'll post pictures soon. =)

Are you using anything else for maintenance since your tapering off of the antibiotics?

I still have about 4 pills left, I thought I had less. I am taking one every other day. The angry pimple on my chin turned into a whitehead and popped a few days later. All the gunk came out. Now there's another lovely red mark. Yay.

I'm still using a thin layer of Acne.org BP and I feel like it's helping with my inflammatory acne, but it does zilch for my comedonal acne. I have comedonal acne right now, with the occasional whitehead. I get to see my derm again for my check up this month on the 24th. I think I may ask her for a retinoid, although i'm dreading the IB. I don't know if I can handle it.

Wow. My acne is coming back. :(

I noticed a pimple forming underneath my skin on my cheekbone, for some reason pimples always form on my face where an old pimple used to be. I also noticed the comedonal acne I have is starting to become inflamed.

I am pretty depressed, i'm anticipating my acne to become as bad as it was when I had that terrible cystic breakout two months ago!

Well, it was nice to have clear skin while it lasted. I only had one month where I had almost no new pimples forming. My skin is so lame for doing this to me. Ugh.

Wow. My acne is coming back. :(

I noticed a pimple forming underneath my skin on my cheekbone, for some reason pimples always form on my face where an old pimple used to be. I also noticed the comedonal acne I have is starting to become inflamed.

I am pretty depressed, i'm anticipating my acne to become as bad as it was when I had that terrible cystic breakout two months ago!

Well, it was nice to have clear skin while it lasted. I only had one month where I had almost no new pimples forming. My skin is so lame for doing this to me. Ugh.

Sorry to hear that Electric_feel. I hope whatever you do next for not only your skin , but your overall health helps clear you up. Never stop searching for ways to heal naturally.

Jeff

Sorry to hear that Electric_feel. I hope whatever you do next for not only your skin , but your overall health helps clear you up. Never stop searching for ways to heal naturally.

Jeff

Thank you for your sympathy. The reason I am getting off antibiotics is because I know they are not a long-term solution and they are not good to take for non-threatening conditions as Wynne always warns. I don't really think anything is a long-term solution though, until I grow out of acne. I will be 25 in two months so who knows when i'll grow out of it.

I’m on day 26 and I’m still okay. I’m also taking 8 (not sure of mgs) tablets of Fish oil everyday and I just finished my 5th month of Ortho Tri-Cyclen BC and will be starting my 6th this coming Sunday.

I still have about 17 pills left....maybe 20. I took 75mg of doxy for 3 months and started weaning myself off at the end of the 3rd month and into my 4th. I should probably start taking them every 2 days now.

I started taking antibiotics for this crazy breakout I had about 6 months ago (out of nowhere) I seriously went from 0 to about 30 pimples in two months time.

I believe I developed intolerance to soy. A vegan diet along with a crazy hormone imbalance (I was getting my periods for two-weeks) is what I believe caused me to breakout the way I did. This was way too much of a coincidence.

I completely stopped eating soy and started taking birth control pills. I really think this is helping along with the antibiotics, and a regimen similar to acne.orgs.

I use BP generously twice a day. I read (from one of Wynn's post) that using BP when taking an antibiotic can help stop the development of bacterial resistance.

Im still concidering a low dose course of accutane to help my insanely oily skin.