Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omgu8myrice

Should I just give up on Retin-A micro?

I've been taking Retin-A Micro since about January now.. I had a super, SUPER bad breakout back in Jan-Feb which resulted in me getting put on Benzaclin in addition to the RAM. I put on Benzaclin in the morning w/ lotion, and then at night just wash and put on a bead of RAM before bed.

Anyways, 5 months later.. I WILL admit that I haven't been breaking out as much I used to. However, none of my old acne has healed yet and I still do break out a little. My acne is probably as bad as it was before I started RAM, just not as much new stuff coming in. However, nothing seems to be healing and my skin is so god damn oily. I'm thinking about getting off this stuff and going to accutane as the oil bothers me more than the acne does. Should I give RAM anymore time or has its time come and gone?

As far as I know the skin doesn't build a resistance to retin-a like it does to a topical antibiotic like Clindagel with prolonged use. If you're seriously considering Accutane, it's common to be prescribed an after-course topical for maintenance which can include retin-a. If it's not making your acne worse after all this time (even though it's not getting better either) then definitely bring it up with your dermatologist. To a dermatologist (IMO, of course), 5 months is plenty of time for you to come to a confident conclusion that you're ready to try something else.

Just out of curiosity, are you using the 0.04% or the 0.10%? Is your acne cystic? I remember the RaM, Benzaclin, and antibiotics not doing squat for the cysts (although I could see benefits elsewhere). Accutane was the only thing to get rid of those for me.

Mine is .04%. My acne isn't really cystic. I have one cyst on my face right now.. big pimple that has been there since July :( ughh

My main problem is I just have a lot of "dead" acne on my face that never freakin heals. I don't pop my pimples, but they just never heal. It really frustrates the helll out of me.

I have cystic acne and remember Retin-A not doing anything for me. Now im on Epiduo which works very very well I must say. It sucks because I switched HMO's and my current provider does not prescribe Epidue so they gave me Retin-A lol. Im going for o2 Laser treatment this month and have enough for this month and mid next month. Although it might be best to use the Retin A since it helps build collagen. I will post in regards to that. Epiduo might be an option for you.