Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
apd677

Why has acne hit me now at the age of 20?

Ok I been so fed up with my acne struggles as of late I just need to do a little venting so bare with me. So first off, I'm a guy and I never had acne in my entire life until this year, my sophomore year in college. Before this year, I always had clear skin and never thought twice about acne. I always considered myself somewhat attractive or normal looking as conceited as that sounds. Then all of a sudden I started to break out in college!!!! Something that I have never had to deal with my entire life is all of a sudden happening to me now at the age of 20.

When I first started breaking out I didn't think anything of it because I thought oh it will just go away soon because I previously would have tiny pimples every now and then that would go away within a few days. But it just kept getting worse. So I went to the derm who prescribed me epiduo and then when that wasn't working all that well I tried Dan's regimen. For the most part Dan's regimen has worked pretty well but now I have these damn red marks that look worse than the acne itself.

I feel like all I've been able to think about is how to get my skin back to the way it use to be. The worst part about all of this is that I was always known for having clear skin. I feel like it wouldn't be as bad if this happened to me in my earlier teen years but why is it all of a sudden happening now? And no one in my family has ever had acne like me or have had acne at all for that matter. It just makes me angry because I don't know what was the main cause of it and I'm letting it bring me down. I avoid going out as much as possible and there have been a lot of boring weekends thanks to my acne. I just want it to go away. If any of you have had any similar experiences as me let me know. Thanks.

The same thing happened to me. (Although I had very mild acne as a teenager). But when I was 19 or 20 I started breaking out a lot. And no one else in my family has acne either. I just hope that it is a phase for you and doesn't follow you for too much longer! I kinow how frustrating it is , but hang in there!

Wow, you just wrote the story of my life... Except it all happened about 5 monthes ago, and I'm 21. My best advice is to go buy a drugstore cleanser like clean and clear foaming acne cleanser (that's what I'm using) or anything else that has BHA (Salicylic acid) in it. My cleanser has 2%. I'm also using a toner with 2% SA only at night time, followed by aloe vera gel (evens out complextion very nicely).

Good luck, I know how frustrated you are, trust me.

Wow, you just wrote the story of my life... Except it all happened about 5 monthes ago, and I'm 21. My best advice is to go buy a drugstore cleanser like clean and clear foaming acne cleanser (that's what I'm using) or anything else that has BHA (Salicylic acid) in it. My cleanser has 2%. I'm also using a toner with 2% SA only at night time, followed by aloe vera gel (evens out complextion very nicely).

Good luck, I know how frustrated you are, trust me.

Hey thanks! I may check out that clean and clear foaming acne cleanser. The only thing about SA is that it was what I originally used to get rid of my acne. I used nuetrogena oil free acne wash and it really irritated my skin and felt as though it made my acne worse. But perhaps it was just the nuetrogena wash that was bad and not necessarily the SA itself? Also do you use Bp or follow Dan's regimen? I've been using it for about 2 months now and now i have nasty red marks. I'm thinking about maybe discontinuing the use of Bp because I hear it slows down the healing process which is why the red marks stay for so long. Do you feel like the aloe vera has helped with the red marks? If you have any other advice that would be great! Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I understand how shocking it can be to get acne at 20 years old. Acne is a complicated condition, and it will take a lot of trial and error on your part to keep it under control. I don't think people will judge you for having acne either. No one is perfect, and sometimes things are out of our control. Good luck to you.

As with Polska, you've written the story of my life as well. Only I started having it freshman year of college. SO frustrating. Like you, everyone knows me as someone with clear complexion, having few break outs now and then but nothing serious. Then (lucky me!) it went from mild to moderate, then moderate to severe. Great. Been dealing with it for 4 years now.

Anyway, I suggest you stop the BP. It does make red marks worse. I use Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion. Don't pick on it, hard as that is to do. Use an AHA cream maybe for the marks or to improve skin texture. Most important things: drink plenty of water, get enough sleep. And also, if you can, go to a dermatologist.

Exactly the same history.

Please do not do the sames mistakes i did, the first think you have to do is a research about acne, you will find a lot of interesting facts. You may also think that the acne can be cure by buying creams, lotions and other stuf, but that's not the true.

You need to start to change the way you live, the way you eat (Go to the hollistic forum). It's good idea to go to the dermatologist but you need also to do something by your own. The dermatologist will tell you that food has nothing to do with acne, but obviously that is not true.

Easy steps for a better skin:

- Stop eating fast food. (Pizza, hamburguers)

- Avoid all kind of dairy(Milk, cheese, etc.)

- Try to do exercise in a open place (Park, street)

- Try to avoid sugar ( Chocolates, candies)

- Do not masturbate/ sex to often.

- Drink green smothies.In the hollistic forum you will find about the famous "green smothies".

- If you are taking any protein shakes or something similar please stop doing it.

- Do not eat fried foods ( french fries, fried meat)

- Stop eating trash food ( Coke, lays)

What you should eat:

- Every morning drink your green smothie.

- Drink enought water.

- Fish, turkey, chicken ( all natural, don't go and buy a KFC chicken)

- Fresh salads

- Sandwiches

- Every kind of vegetables, fruits.

- Natural pasta

I guarantee you will be clear in 1 month if you follow your dermatogist intructions and the most important thing changing your diet. I know it will be extremly hard at the beggining but trust me at the end you will be totally satisfy and you will be a more healthy person.

Good luck, if you have any question please do not hesitate to ask me.

Exactly the same history.

Please do not do the sames mistakes i did, the first think you have to do is a research about acne, you will find a lot of interesting facts. You may also think that the acne can be cure by buying creams, lotions and other stuf, but that's not the true.

You need to start to change the way you live, the way you eat (Go to the hollistic forum). It's good idea to go to the dermatologist but you need also to do something by your own. The dermatologist will tell you that food has nothing to do with acne, but obviously that is not true.

Easy steps for a better skin:

- Stop eating fast food. (Pizza, hamburguers)

- Avoid all kind of dairy(Milk, cheese, etc.)

- Try to do exercise in a open place (Park, street)

- Try to avoid sugar ( Chocolates, candies)

- Do not masturbate/ sex to often.

- Drink green smothies.In the hollistic forum you will find about the famous "green smothies".

- If you are taking any protein shakes or something similar please stop doing it.

- Do not eat fried foods ( french fries, fried meat)

- Stop eating trash food ( Coke, lays)

What you should eat:

- Every morning drink your green smothie.

- Drink enought water.

- Fish, turkey, chicken ( all natural, don't go and buy a KFC chicken)

- Fresh salads

- Sandwiches

- Every kind of vegetables, fruits.

- Natural pasta

I guarantee you will be clear in 1 month if you follow your dermatogist intructions and the most important thing changing your diet. I know it will be extremly hard at the beggining but trust me at the end you will be totally satisfy and you will be a more healthy person.

Good luck, if you have any question please do not hesitate to ask me.

Hey thanks carlitosbernal! I have actually gone to the derm but they really havent told me much other than to keep doing what I'm doing. They gave me epiduo with .1% adapalene and 2.5% bp which i still use and they gave me an antibiotic pill called doryx but I mainly focus on the regimen. I'll definitely take the diet thing into consideration. I've already cut pop out of my diet for the most part but I still need to make changes to my diet. Also the thing is I'm clear for the most part with the exception of one tiny bump on my cheek that's slowly fading but I have the dreaded red marks that look ten times worse. Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of those? Also thanks to everyone else who has responded!

Hi there apd677!

wow! I'am another one that fell peril to adult onset acne! I'm also 20 & after suffering mild pimples here and there during my teens, my acne literally exploded leading up to my 20th birthday. how cruel! like you, i have managed to get my acne under control (currently on accutane & trimethoprim) BUT i have horribly awful red marks all over my cheeks which is so hard to cover because it is scar tissue and make up just draws attention to the fact!

Ugh, sorry for the rant, i guess i just wanted to lend some support and tell you your not alone.

p.s ummmmm no sex/masturbation?! just curious to know what the correlation is between sex/masturbation and acne?

Hi there apd677!

wow! I'am another one that fell peril to adult onset acne! I'm also 20 & after suffering mild pimples here and there during my teens, my acne literally exploded leading up to my 20th birthday. how cruel! like you, i have managed to get my acne under control (currently on accutane & trimethoprim) BUT i have horribly awful red marks all over my cheeks which is so hard to cover because it is scar tissue and make up just draws attention to the fact!

Ugh, sorry for the rant, i guess i just wanted to lend some support and tell you your not alone.

p.s ummmmm no sex/masturbation?! just curious to know what the correlation is between sex/masturbation and acne?

Hey thanks for the response Frida! It's always good to rant. I just don't understand how you can all of a sudden break out at 20. It just doesn't seem fair. I thought I already got past that stage in my life! But are you doing anything for your red marks? I've been trying to do a bunch of stuff like ACV and AHA which has had some success but very little. I actually just started this stuff called meladerm that you might want to check out. Anyways let's hope we can fight these red marks and acne for good!

Wow looks like I'm not alone.. I started breaking out at 18 so I know how it feels too. All I know is that I'm sick of it controlling my life and having to stay home while my friends go out and have fun but I can't because I know I wont be able to have a good time. A year has gone by so it seems like it's not going away.. No one in my family has acne either, my brother will get one pimple like every 3 months and none of my friends seem to deal with acne as much as I do and it drives me insanee.

We are all in this together!

I'm glad I found this post because it's nice to have someone to talk bout all this crap. Yourowndisaster i too am surrounded by perfectly cleared skin individuals (b/f, brother, friends...) I think one of the worst things about suffering from acne for me is the lack of understanding by the people around you. They just have no clue how acne affects every aspect of your life. Sometimes my b/f tells me that I am too 'weak' or I should 'toughen up'. Ugh, if only he knew how spirit breaking it is to have people act/look at you different when you have severe acne!

Hi again apd677!

I know whats up with that? Acne when you should be having the time of your life in your 20's! Currently Iam on accutane (bout 2 weeks in) and am fairly restricted in what I can do for my red marks (apparently accutane makes it worse too :( ) But I do use emu oil mixed in with a moisturiser that contains olive oil, almond oil and apple cider vinegar. I think much too early to tell if it works though. But if I have improvements you will be the first to know :)