Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rob2686

Tooth Abscess

Two years ago I had a tooth Abscess and I had it professionally dealt with. (was insured) Lately I've had a tooth ache, and it got me thinking.

How do you holistically deal with something like a tooth infection? It's pretty minor now and my dentist wants $100 just to look at it. My plan is to coast it out a week, since it doesn't hurt and looks superficial. Anyone dealt with something like this holistically?

Yeah that and my recommendation for anyone who is cavity prone and has tooth absesses, dont drink carbonated drinks. They wear off the enamel on your teeth in case you didnt know that

I've heard that oil pulling can really help with this. Here are some links discussing it - hope you find something that helps!! http://www.google.com/search?q=tooth+absce...;rlz=1I7GGLL_en

:D A few days after posting I could tell it was an abscess for sure.

I started to used Garlic, coconut oil, and probiotics. In a few days the inflammation completely disappeared! It was truly amazing! And a complete relief considering my last root canal / crown was like $1,000-$1,500 while I was double dental insured!

That is so awesome Rob!!!!!!!!! What a relief for you! Did you swish your mouth with any of those things, or did you just take it all internally?

I cooked almost everything I was eating with coconut oil and took like a tablespoon before going to bed. I'm glad I caught it early. :D

Probiotics and garlic were ingested too, although I read about a man who applied the garlic directly on the gums. (If anyone tries this be careful garlic directly on gums can burn them)

:boogie:

Very cool! Who suggested the coconut oil? I hadn't thought of that, I'm impressed!

Yea, I'm not sure how it happened. I brush twice a day and floss twice a day, and I avoid sugars and processed food.

I think I just scraped my gum on some sort of food. I should remind myself to brush gently, I try to do so but sometimes in a hurry I might be a tad too harsh. :shifty:

I got the toothpaste Ayla recommended, I like it a lot. :cool: Thank you, for the great tips guys and gals! :wub:

Very cool! Who suggested the coconut oil? I hadn't thought of that, I'm impressed!

Who knows how it happened... could have even been something internal?

On the topic of keeping teeth clean, I like to time myself to make sure I brush at least one minute, but I've always heard two minutes as the recommendation. Also, I've heard those electric toothbrushes are supposed to be the best when it comes to really getting your teeth clean.

Who knows how it happened... could have even been something internal?

On the topic of keeping teeth clean, I like to time myself to make sure I brush at least one minute, but I've always heard two minutes as the recommendation. Also, I've heard those electric toothbrushes are supposed to be the best when it comes to really getting your teeth clean.

You are right, could of been lots of things. :D

I use a Sonicare and love it.

^I have a sonicare too, :wub: it. Glad you like the toothpaste, it'll probably make our teeth whiter too.

Interesting site, thanks :)

Two years ago I had a tooth Abscess and I had it professionally dealt with. (was insured) Lately I've had a tooth ache, and it got me thinking.

How do you holistically deal with something like a tooth infection? It's pretty minor now and my dentist wants $100 just to look at it. My plan is to coast it out a week, since it doesn't hurt and looks superficial. Anyone dealt with something like this holistically?

Hi Rob,

I am a little concerned that you have a something you are calling an abscess and have decided to skip a professional diagnosis and treat it on your own. I am a firm believer in holistic medicine and conservative treatments but you really need a professional to see you and get a diagnosis before you can properly treat your lesion. What you are calling an abscess could be anything from an abrasion to cancer. If the abscess originates in the nerve of a tooth, the only way to know is with xrays. Abscesses are nothing to mess with, if it is in an upper tooth you are inches from your brain, this needs to be taken care of with antibiotics and eliminating the source of infection. I don't mean to frighten you, this probably can be dealt with in a very safe straight forward way, see your dentist.

By the way I am a dentist

Good luck, let me know how you are doing.

Pugglelover

I saw this thread and wanted to give a word of caution. I have been in the medical / dental field for 15 years now. An abscess is a sign of infection with an underlying cause. Cavity in a tooth, possible need of a root canal (sensitivity of hot / cold is a symptom of nerve damage), etc.

Five months ago at Mountainside Hospital in Montclair, NJ a young man age 25 came in complaining of pain in his leg. My best friend is an ultrasound tech and was asked to evaluated the patient. Long story short, there was no findings on the ultrasound. The patient continue complaining of pain, a surgeon open his left leg and found gangrene which also spread to his right leg. Both legs needed to be amputated one above the knee and the other underneath. Two weeks later the patient passed away. The cause a tooth infection. The bacteria traveled within the blood stream down to his leg. Also, patients have had heart complications due to bacteria in the mouth. Many of us are still blow away by this young patient and how a simple thing caused him his life.

I understand that you may not have insurance, however, any local dental school can treat anyone for very little money. A cleaning and x-rays are around $20. One x-ray & exam is around $5. http://www.ada.org/ - will have vital information.

You maybe able to relieve the discomfort, however, it will appear again at some point in the future.

I know this is an extreme case, however, it can be a life lesson to some. Just be careful & be well.

Thanks guys and gals.

My friend was telling me his dentist will do a cleaning / x ray / evaluation, for 50 dollars. I'm going to set up an appointment for sure, especially after reading your posts. :D

Thank you so much for your concern and taking time to post! :wub:

I understand that you may not have insurance, however, any local dental school can treat anyone for very little money. A cleaning and x-rays are around $20. One x-ray & exam is around $5. http://www.ada.org/ - will have vital information.

I know this is an extreme case, however, it can be a life lesson to some. Just be careful & be well.

Thanks guys and gals.

My friend was telling me his dentist will do a cleaning / x ray / evaluation, for 50 dollars. I'm going to set up an appointment for sure, especially after reading your posts. :D

Thank you so much for your concern and taking time to post! :wub:

Thank you. :D

PS: There are no signs of it superficially atm, gums are looking / feeling better than ever. :D I still think an X-ray is a swell idea though (and a cleaning.) :D

No problem thank you for being open to some heartfelt advice! Let us know how you are doing.

Good lord, scary stuff. Lexie and puggle - do you two work at the same dental office? I notice you're both in the Wichita area.

Good lord, scary stuff. Lexie and puggle - do you two work at the same dental office? I notice you're both in the Wichita area.

Hi Ayla,

I am a Southern Californian born and raised, no where near Witchita! Infections are nothing to mess with, especially in this day and age considering "super bugs." I don't know Lexie but I agree with her advice. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and invest in professional advice to protect our health. As a dentist I have seen the result of treatment delayed or home remedies gone terribly wrong, much more expensive to correct a problem farther down the road. My advice is to find MD's and DDS's you trust and with who you feel comfortable.

Pugglelover

Hi Ayla,

I am a Southern Californian born and raised, no where near Witchita! Infections are nothing to mess with, especially in this day and age considering "super bugs." I don't know Lexie but I agree with her advice. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet and invest in professional advice to protect our health. As a dentist I have seen the result of treatment delayed or home remedies gone terribly wrong, much more expensive to correct a problem farther down the road. My advice is to find MD's and DDS's you trust and with who you feel comfortable.

Pugglelover

Your IP info:

IP address [?]: 173.60.218.140 Copy [Whois] [Reverse IP]

IP country code: US

IP address country: ip address flag United States

IP address state: n/a

IP address city: n/a

IP address latitude: 38.0000

IP address longitude: -97.0000

ISP of this IP [?]: Verizon Internet Services

Organization: Verizon Internet Services

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexie's IP info:

IP address [?]: 173.54.205.187 Copy [Whois] [Reverse IP]

IP country code: US

IP address country: ip address flag United States

IP address state: n/a

IP address city: n/a

IP address latitude: 38.0000

IP address longitude: -97.0000

ISP of this IP [?]: Verizon Internet Services

Organization: Verizon Internet Services

--------------------------

How interesting that you and Lexie are posting at the exact same lat & long, just outside Wichita, and BOTH in the Dental profession, and on the same service provider. More amazing still is that you're California, resolving to Kansas. Some space-time continuum I'm sure.