Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stephen01

Cooking with EVOO at high heat

I was reading the food and recipe sticky at the top of the forum and I've got a question about using EVOO for cooking. Does it become rancid or harmful to cook with at higher temperatures or does it just lose it's health benefits when heated but it's still fine to use? I'm not really worried about it losing it's positive benefits from heating it, just wondering what negatives there might be if any. I try to avoid plant oils like canola oil and I can't stand coconut oil in my food so I buy EVOO.

Cooking Oil - Now this is controversial. But just for preventing foods from sticking when sauteing, grilling, broiling etc, I say the most important thing is to use an oil with a high enough smoking point and NOT a highly processed fat like margarine or crisco. Oils with high smoking points are animal fats like butter or ghee, coconut oil, grape seed, canola, peanut oil, non EV Olive Oil.

But then there's the controversy over the healthfulness of some plant oils. You really don't want to consume a lot of polyunsaturated fats which means most vegetable oils and includes canola oil, corn oil, generic vegetable oil. Read more about cholesterol, cardiovascular disease, and cooking oils.

And there are some oils that should be heated very little to not at all such as EVOO, walnut oil, flax seed oil, sesame oil. These are used in salad dressing or added after cooking. EVOO can be used in low heat cooking but it reduces the nutritional benefit.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...43#entry2383543

For the love of god, stick with SATURATED FATS like butter and coconut oil when cooking. And even then, add some BHT to it to reduce the oxidation caused by elevated temperatures.

For the love of god, stick with SATURATED FATS like butter and coconut oil when cooking. And even then, add some BHT to it to reduce the oxidation caused by elevated temperatures.

Could you please tell me what bht stands for?

Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT).

These are food additives that are used as a preservative to keep food from spoilage. BHT can be found in butter, meats, chewing gum, snack foods, dehydrated potatoes, and even beer.

These additives are approved by the FDA as safe for human consumption .

However, they are proven carcinogens. There is proof that some people have difficulty metabolizing BHA and this can result in health and behavioral changes. :)

ADD BHT?! LMAO! Wow that has to be one of the craziest things I've ever read on this forum and that says a lot...

No... just no.

Cook with coconut oil, not olive.

Edited by DejaClaireVoyant