Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
electric_feel

I see SOME improvement!

It's been one month since I was prescribed minocycline and clindamycin, and my skin has improved but there are still bumps and uneven texture. My acne is not severe anymore, it's now moderate with tons of red marks.

My follow-up appointment is tomorrow morning, is there something specific you guys think I should ask for, or continue on the same regimen? I know my derm wants to wean me off the antibiotics so she'll probably prescribe a lower dosage of mino. I'm curious to know what your suggestions are by looking at my progress with these photos:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/led...rogress-001.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/led...rogress-002.jpg

Do you guys see any scarring in these photos? I don't think the lighting captured everything accurately, when i'm under certain lighting you can see some indentation right where that persistent cyst is in the middle of my cheek.

I don't see any scarring. I do see red marks. Ask your doctor about the advisability of beginning a topical benzoyl peroxide wash; there are clinical studies that show BP can help prevent bacterial resistance when used in conjunction with topical and oral antibiotics.

A topical retinoid would help with fading the redmarks and it would help with unclogging pores via exfoliation so you'd possibly have fewer outbreaks in the future.

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html

I don't see any scarring. I do see red marks. Ask your doctor about the advisability of beginning a topical benzoyl peroxide wash; there are clinical studies that show BP can help prevent bacterial resistance when used in conjunction with topical and oral antibiotics.

A topical retinoid would help with fading the redmarks and it would help with unclogging pores via exfoliation so you'd possibly have fewer outbreaks in the future.

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html

Thanks Wynne,

I just got back from my follow-up appointment. On my last visit I told my doctor that I was allergic to benzol peroxide because my skin is sensitive, but I have been experimenting with a very thin layer of it for the past two weeks and I have not experienced any major irritation. When my skin starts to get dry I reduce the application to every other night. I guess my skin can tolerate BP in very small increments, but who knows...it has only been two weeks.

My dermatologist did mention a cleanser with glycolic in it, however, she knows that my skin is sensitive so she said that I should start with something milder such as a Neutrogena face wash with salicylic in it. I think I will do that, and when I go back to see her in another month, I will ask her for the glycolic cleanser.

That neutrogena cleanser made my skin worse. I dont know what your dermatologist was thinking recommending that cleanser to you. Most acne prone people cannot use that cleanser without problems. The cleanser in my signature is a cleanser my dermatologist gave me and I absolutely love it! This is my third or forth tube of it. It is 20 some bucks for five oz but it should last two or three months. Go on line and research that cleanser. I also have ultra sensitive skin

That neutrogena cleanser made my skin worse. I dont know what your dermatologist was thinking recommending that cleanser to you. Most acne prone people cannot use that cleanser without problems. The cleanser in my signature is a cleanser my dermatologist gave me and I absolutely love it! This is my third or forth tube of it. It is 20 some bucks for five oz but it should last two or three months. Go on line and research that cleanser. I also have ultra sensitive skin

How is your skin now? Are you seeing any improvement with your regimen? I really don't like having sensitive skin, mostly everything irritates it but sometimes I use products that i'm sure will irritate the crap out of my skin, only to be pleasantly surprised by little to no irritation. Neutrogena's pore refining toner is one of the products I thought would totally irritate my skin, but so far it hasn't really.

I like Neutrogena's pore refining toner. It's a nice product. It has both AHA and BHA, probably very small amounts of both though :)

How is your skin now? Are you seeing any improvement with your regimen? I really don't like having sensitive skin, mostly everything irritates it but sometimes I use products that i'm sure will irritate the crap out of my skin, only to be pleasantly surprised by little to no irritation. Neutrogena's pore refining toner is one of the products I thought would totally irritate my skin, but so far it hasn't really.

Ive seen a lot of improvements in my skin lately and it really does help my redmarks fade. I also recommend the one part sea salt three parts water compress. It dried up one of my pimples over night! Ive done this several times and its helping me tramendeously. I still have a long way to go but I am seeing improvment in my skin compared to how it was during the winter. I freaking hate winter!

i'd recommend a retinoid like tazorac or retin-a. also if you think your skin is really under control or when that time comes, i'd ask about a laser. i've gotten one fraxel treatment done and it's worked wonders. i plan on going back for 2 more. DON'T get the smoothbeam though i had FIVE treatments with that and saw almost no improvement. my mom even commented on how my PRIMER did better things for my face than the smoothbeam did. so disappointing.

I also recommend the one part sea salt three parts water compress. It dried up one of my pimples over night! Ive done this several times and its helping me tramendeously. I still have a long way to go but I am seeing improvment in my skin compared to how it was during the winter. I freaking hate winter!

I have one pimple that is starting to emerge right underneath my bottom lip, it's the first one I have had in weeks. Most of the other lesions are healing or already flattened. I think I will try your sea salt and water compress. Do you apply it to a washcloth and apply it to the pimple that way?

i'd recommend a retinoid like tazorac or retin-a. also if you think your skin is really under control or when that time comes, i'd ask about a laser. i've gotten one fraxel treatment done and it's worked wonders. i plan on going back for 2 more. DON'T get the smoothbeam though i had FIVE treatments with that and saw almost no improvement. my mom even commented on how my PRIMER did better things for my face than the smoothbeam did. so disappointing.

I think retinoid use is my next step. I will ask my derm about it next month on my follow-up appointment. I can't get in sooner.

also i just have to comment that your face looks great with makeup on. i wish i could do mine nearly that well lol. what kind do you use?

also i just have to comment that your face looks great with makeup on. i wish i could do mine nearly that well lol. what kind do you use?

Thanks! I use Revlon Colorstay in "Buff" it's the formula for oily skin. I don't have oily skin, I have the opposite but I find this formula to work better than the one for dry skin. It dries faster, so it's easier to apply pressed powder to set it. When I was using the formula for dry skin, it would not dry completely and it would be sticky. When applied pressed powder over it, the powder would stick to the foundation it was a mess!

I can't believe it's now June! Almost time to see my derm again on the 13th for my monthly check-up.

My skin has definitely improved a great deal, but it's nowhere near what I want it to look like. The way my skin was before I got on the antibiotics i'm just happy for what little progress I have made.

I am going to get off of the minocycline this month, but i'm using clindamycin as well. Isn't that just as harmful as the antibiotics in pill form? I mean, it's still an antibiotic it's just not a pill. Should I start reducing the application for that and ask my derm for a retinoid as an alternative?