Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZaDude

Drinking water causing breakout ?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if you anyone can offer some guidance on this interesting post ? :)

Over the past year or so I've experienced really bad breakouts from drinking tap water in other cities - for example when I go on holiday.

Initially drinking the local tap water does not have an affect on my skin which is normally pretty clear - on the second day of drinking the water my skin breaks out in dozens of tiny white pimples. My skin also becomes extremely oily. If I continue to drink the water my face is covered in what can be described as a rash of white pimples ranging in size which gets worse the longer I stay in that city.

After returning home, the pimples clear up after a week or so and my skin returns to normal.

I've noticed this reaction is worse when drinking tap water at the coast as apposed to tap water inland; but does not occur if I stick to drinking bottled water (prepared/spring water).

Could it be an allergy of sorts ? I'm 29 now but have only noticed this problem in the last couple of years.

Regards

I'm curious why you think it's the water? There are so many factors that could be involved when you travel, including stress, food, environment, etc.

Is there a reason you think it has to be the water?

I'm curious why you think it's the water? There are so many factors that could be involved when you travel, including stress, food, environment, etc.

Is there a reason you think it has to be the water?

I was wondering that too.

But if you're sure it's the water, then your problem is solved...just drink bottled water when you travel, or pack a water filter. I suppose there could be something in the tap water your skin doesn't agree with.

Yes, you can be allergic to water. There was a girl in my high school that was allergic to it. And I've known people allergic to grass and something else that I can't think of right now but something you can't avoid and/or is essential.

Is it even possible to be allergic to water?

No, it's not.

I've known someone who is. Now it might not be the actual H2O they are allergic too but maybe the minerals, chlorine, flouride or whatever else commonly in water.

if you were actually allergic, your body would be in horrible pain. i read an article on a girl who was allergic to water and she had sores and rashes all over her body. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8009219.stm

now for acne, the water might be flushing on the "toxins". you can always get a water filter too

Wow that is crazy, cant go out in the rain, cant wash, cant brush your teeth, loads! wow I really feel for her :/

if you were actually allergic, your body would be in horrible pain. i read an article on a girl who was allergic to water and she had sores and rashes all over her body. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8009219.stm

now for acne, the water might be flushing on the "toxins". you can always get a water filter too

Not necessarily. Allergic reactions vary a great deal. Although it did show on the skin of the girl I knew in high school when she didn't take medication.

Is it even possible to be allergic to water?

No, it's not.

I've known someone who is. Now it might not be the actual H2O their are allergic too but maybe the minerals, chlorine, flouride or whatever else commonly in water.

I thought that you could only have allergies to proteins, or contaminants that contain proteins.

You can be 'allergic' to water, yep. Extremely rare though.

I posted a big post about acne and health etc and I mentioned water - my naturopath wanted me to try drinking bottled water for a while and man did I notice a difference!! My thinking was clearer, I couldn't taste the water (good sign!), I was less thirsty so now I don't have to drink as much (was having to drink 3 L a day, seriously)... it made such a difference, helped with my food intolerances too and my acne... so now I drink almost exclusively bottled water. Costs me about $20 a week. Pricey but worth it. The tap water in my area, and especially at my house, is awful.

Not exactly sure what was irritating me in it but a fairly good idea - the chlorine and the copper from copper pipes. Also steel works nearby so apparently there's trace amounts mercury and arsenic in the water... yuck. Oh and flouride too, doubt that was affecting me tho but I'd rather not take it. Pls don't anyone tell me my teeth will fall out, I've been told it before! :-p

Best of luck! Try only bottled water for a while and see what happens!

Well it's impossible to be allergic to filtered water, you probably have a bad reaction to some of the crap found in tap water. just buy a filter and use bottled water when you can't use the filter

I doubt it's the water, hun. Water is honestly the best thing for your face! There are so many other factors such as climate, diet, environment etc... so i think it's safe to say water is NOT the issue!

Agreed with a lot of the posters. It's funny because I literally just got done chugging down 3 glasses and have a glass right beside me.

And yes, it is tap. I used to not care for tap, but now I just don't care in general :P

Besides if for some reason water doesn't help alleviate acne in the slightest, it is very good for you in general. I would recommend taking in a decent amount of apple cider vinegar. Internally, preferably. Its very strong non-diluted so drink it like you do with chasers. Bam, hit the ACV then right after swig some coke or water or w/e you want to chase the flavor away with.

I think you should do what a lot of acne sufferers have to do. Trial and error. For a few days (preferably a week, though) stay on a very consistent diet of what you are eating. It works even better if you eat things that you know don't make you break out. During this time, drink only water and see how it effects you. If it makes you break out, no harm done, move on to the next thing to test out. If it makes it better, then :) that's what we're aiming for. Good luck!

Acne will never in any case occur from drinking water.

LOL...

I'm sorry, but are you a scientist???? Can you predict the future?

Are you an omnipotent being?! You're GOD aren't you!

If the water contains trace elements of mercury or arsenic (which most, if not all, tap water can) and if there is a lot of copper in it (if you have copper piping, this will likely be the case), and if you have a sensitivity to amines (chlorine, in all tap water, is an amine) then acne can result from drinking this water.

I don't understand where people get off spouting universal statements all over the place based on.... what, their own personal experience?

No offence, it's nothing personal... I actually find it pretty funny.

LOL...

I'm sorry, but are you a scientist???? Can you predict the future?

Are you an omnipotent being?! You're GOD aren't you!

If the water contains trace elements of mercury or arsenic (which most, if not all, tap water can) and if there is a lot of copper in it (if you have copper piping, this will likely be the case), and if you have a sensitivity to amines (chlorine, in all tap water, is an amine) then acne can result from drinking this water.

I don't understand where people get off spouting universal statements all over the place based on.... what, their own personal experience?

No offence, it's nothing personal... I actually find it pretty funny.

water has all sorts of terrible contaminants! she's right!

and the air! oh the air! terrible particulates, pollen, lead, and sulfur oxides! to avoid all those things, i stopped drinking water and stopped breathing! period!

to be serious....municipalities all treat their water differently. some use chlorine to kill bacteria outright and then the water continues to be treated by chlorine later as the water gets delivered to the customer. however, some areas will use filtration instead of chemicals to clean the water. im guessing you dont react well to water that ISNT chlorinated.

does swimming in a pool make you break out?

to avoid all those things, i stopped drinking water and stopped breathing! period!

hmm, you really needn't... a decent filter or drinking bottled spring water will do just fine.

I think you're addressing me with those questions? I'll take it as you are addressing me, anyway... I feel so much better not drinking tap water, the change is remarkable. However, as I've said in other posts, the tap water here is pretty bad. You can taste it. My guess is the combination of copper, mercury and chlorine irritate me in different ways. I think the copper, since it leads to a deficiency in zinc which is widely known to cause acne, is probably what caused breakouts (my chiro told me I was deficient anyway but the problem was never really fixed until I switched to bottled water)... however chlorine just makes me feel off. Last time I went swimming it was at a public pool and the chlorination got to me, yes. I didn't break out though but it took about half an hour after I left for the mild headache to go away... I'm used to being sensitive to most things, though.

there is nothing wrong wioth tap water. seriously. My grandma drank tons of just regular old tap water and she had beautiful skin and lived to be like 101.

plus bottled water = bad for enviornment.