Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

post-103083-1242066740_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242066766_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242066793_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242066856_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242066870_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242067626_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242067640_thumb.jpg I'm so glad I found this site this morning. I didn't have any facial skin problems until I got pregnant with my oldest daughter, almost 4 years ago, when I was 16. I've tried every over-the-counter acne medicine, I've had three different presciption pills and two ointments, plus I've tried every other remedy I've heard about. Nothing has helped. My dermitologist hasn't even diagnosed me, because he said that it could be a number of different things combined. My face is dark-red, dry, it peels, cracked, it has white heads, and nodules. When I wash my face, I can only use warm water, because everything else irritates it, and I can't even use a wash cloth without it making it bleed, I get puss coming out of my sores. My face hurts and burns so bad. It feels like a terrible sunburn that will not go away. I am so self-concious, I can't wear make-up, because it burns too bad and makes it worse, I feel like everyone is staring at my face constantly. I even have little kids come up to me and ask me what's wrong with my face. I just want a good complextion. I don't know what to try. I go to the doctor at 5 today, so hopefully he will give me something that will help my skin. My pictures actually make my face look better than it is. Anyone else have any similar problems, or does anyone have any advice or tips that will help me? Also, I'm allergic to peroxide! :redface:

post-103083-1242066740_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242066766_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242066793_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242066856_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242066870_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242067626_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242067640_thumb.jpg

God I'm so sorry I can't be of much help, that looks so painful. Welcome to the board though, I'm sure if anybody can give you answers, you'll find them here.

I'm off to work right now but I will try to assist in the morning. First thought: have you been using topical steroids? If so, stop. Be back in 13+ hours.

It could be any number of things but the first thing that came to mind was steroid induced rosacea. Your doc might start you on internal (by mouth) antibiotics. You will need a GENTLE cleanser; if you're using topical steroids, STOP using them: they cause that cracked, dry, bleeding appearance with small and large bumps. Another thought is that you're using excessively alkaline products OR you have a contact dermatitis to a product you have been using or even sleeping on (laundry detergent, fabric softener, aloe vera, etc).

Your doctor's appointment probably got you some good help already. If it is indeed steroid induced rosacea, search these boards for other member's experiences at healing their rosacea. A thin coat of petrolatum jelly will help soothe that raw skin. A gentle cleanser is paramount (a slightly acidic one that matches your skin's formerly normal pH, I'm guessing the pH is very much unbalanced right now.) If it is steroid induced rosacea your doctor will prescribe an antibiotic and likely some soothing cream/lotion.

Let us know how you're doing and we're wishing you well!

post-103083-1242133944_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242133930_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242133876_thumb.jpgpost-103083-1242133908_thumb.jpgHere's pictures of my face today, and the picture of my one cheek that looks like I have a glair from flash or whatever, it is actually not, it's a bunch of yellowish-white dots that keep leaking clearish-yellow puss. Well, my doctor told me that since I'm breastfeeding I can't start any treatment, so six more months of messed up skin. YAH! :cry: He didn't even ask me what was going on with my face or look at my face, all he did was ask me if I'm breastfeeding, I told him yes, and he said "well there's nothing you can do." Then of course I broke down in tears. I am so sick of being depressed because of my face. And today, it's hurting even worse. My face has never been this bad. It feels like a horrible sunburn, one that's so red that it's almost purple. My lymph nodes in my face are really swollen from the infection. I just want some type of help. I'm in tears, right now, just thinking about how terrible my face looks and feels, and the fact that I have to go six more months before I can start any type of treatment. He did give me a 'hydrating wash' called ZoDerm, but it has 5.75% Benzoyl Peroxide in it, I can't use it, since I'm allergic to peroxide. I even told him, and all he said was that I can't be allergic to peroxide, and that I obviousely have a allergy to it, but it won't hurt to use this. It's such bull sh*t. The only reason I am able to go to him, is because my Mama does his filing. If I had insurance I would find a new doctor. He didn't even tell me what's wrong with my face. I just wish there was something that I could use. :cry: Oh, and by the way, I tried this stuff called Aloette, and that's when my face got this bad, needless to say I'm never using it again, it's made from Aloe Vera, so thanks Wynne for cluing me in on the aloe. Besides that I haven't used anything but warm water on my face, because everything else irritates it.

post-103083-1242133876_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242133908_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242133930_thumb.jpg

post-103083-1242133944_thumb.jpg

Awww man. I wish you could find a new doctor as there are antibiotics that are relatively safe for use during breastfeeding. All carry the risk of being passed to your infant; even topicals have some risk.

I am so sorry your derm wasn't more helpful. Really do try something more gentle for your skin; purpose gentle cleansing wash is terrific and pretty gentle. You can apply petrolatum jelly for relief from the discomfort, too.

Are there ANY low cost clinics in your area you could try, or call social services and see if they can suggest a low cost way of getting medical care?

You can also put two wet and wrung-out washclothes in the refrigerator (stick 'em in a plastic bag first to keep them from getting in contact with anything in the fridge), let them cool for a half hour or so and then place them gently on your face. You can lie back in a recliner and tip your head back and relax with the cool compresses on your face; it will calm the redness and some of the discomfort, too.

I have not been able to find any clinics near me that I could go to, all of them that are close to me and low cost are just for pregnacy. I'll try the wash cloth tip and petrolatum jelly. What is the purpose gentle cleansing wash?

Hey girl,

If I were you I would take some more control of your life. First and foremost, go find a good doctor. I don't know what your financial situation is but if you could borrow some money from relatives or friends, and see a good doctor however far away, you would already be in a much better position. From your description, your doctor is not worth his name and you will be wasting time with him. Maybe it will take some searching around and facing people but it will be much worth it.

Secondly, I would say forget about breast feeding. My mom never breast fed me because it was too painful for her, but I grew up like everybody else (better!! ;p). The hick up is again a financial one as cow milk is not free. But you should not wait 6 months in such pain in my opinion.

As I know from first hand experience, nodules can scar. And then it will be much more difficult to remove what is left. As I see it, you need some help right now and with little changes can be much better.

Sometimes we take a back seat in our own life. Go find a clinic even if it is far! remember when we persevere, we succeed. ;)

Btw it was very good for you that you found this site. I wish I were your doctor!

Best of luck,

Daniel

A few more questions: did you get any paperwork back from the clinic you went to? Did any of it mention a diagnosis? Were there any numbers written in a format like: XXX.XX or VXX.XX or XX.X or XX.XX? If so, please PM them to me and I'll look up the ICD9 codes for you.

(I'm a nurse but as I am not able to examine you in person and I am not an advanced practice nurse, my suggestions are only suggestions; they are not diagnoses and are not in any way to take the place of an in-person consultation with a licensed healthcare provider...had to add that caveat!)

Well first off, Daniel, I can't afford formula, even if I wanted to use it. I also care more about breastfeeding benefits for my daughter, so I'd rather wait the 6 months, then put crappy formula in my daughters body. Also, I will most likely find some type of treatment, weither it's an old remedy or just some basic herbs and all natural ingredients to try. I've just gotta find someone that has similar skin problems as me. I'm going to start saving money, so I can find me a new doctor to go to and get some help! Thanks for the advice though! :)

Wynne, I didn't get any paperwork from the doctor's office, but since my Mama does the filing there, I can get her to check out my chart tonight and I'll message you the numbers, that's if there are any. Like I said before, the doctor didn't even take a good look at my face. :mad:

In the meantime, use petrolatum jelly to soothe your skin and the cool compresses to also soothe it. (It will help!)

Please keep me updated. :) (well, us!)

Please also check around for low cost clinics in your area; I can only sympathize with your experience and wish you recovery as quickly as possible.

:ninja: Well, of course my wonderful doctor didn't put any diagnosis in my file, so needless to say I don't know what's going on with my skin! :snooty:

Fire that doctor! He sounds so unempathetic

:ninja: Well, of course my wonderful doctor didn't put any diagnosis in my file, so needless to say I don't know what's going on with my skin! :snooty:

Oh poo. That stinks. Where there any notes at all, any progress notes and what did they say (if she could read the writing that is!)

The Aloette use preceded this redness? Could you find the ingredients in the product and post them here, or PM to me? Is that the only thing you've used that might have caused the redness, think hard and try to remember the course of this redness. What have you used to treat this when it first started? Write all of your treatment attempts down. Did you use topical cortisone ever?

Are the cool compresses and petroleum helping any?

post-103083-1242399797_thumb.jpg Well, my derm gave my Mama some samples to give me yesterday. The one is ZoDerm and the other is NuOx. I haven't used them yet, because my face has started clearing up and it's no longer hurtning, and I am afraid that the meds will end up triggering another breakout. But, since I'm off this weekend I thought I'd give the meds a try. On the back of the NuOx package it says that it's for Acne Vulgaris, and it's suppost to make my skin peal even worse, to get all the nasty crap out of my skin, but my skin is already so dry that it peels, so it's gonna suck for it to peel even worse. My Mama asked him again yesterday what type of skin condition I have an all he told her is that it's a form of acne..duh, I already knew that..lol. He also told my Mama that once I stop breastfeeding he can start me on pills and other forms of treatment, but he said that I will have a low chance of being able to have more children, with the medicine that he wants to start me on. I'm scared of that, because I already have a slim chance that I will be able to have any more children, so that's really been bugging me. By the way, I stopped using fabric softener and since then my face has looked alot better. :dance:

post-103083-1242399797_thumb.jpg