Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamuser304

How hard is it to get on accutane?

I have had mild to moderate acne since I was 12 or 13. I am now 24. I have used retin-a, differin, minocycline, and every over the counter medication there is. I am currently on Differin .3 and 100mg of minocycline twice a day. It has helped, but I am still getting random cysts and breakouts. My skin has always been extremely oily. I could wash my face, and within an hour, there are dots of oil coming out of my pores on certain parts of my face. I currently have 1 cyst, one cyst that is fading away, and one cyst that is forming. Along with maybe 6-7 small pimples. It doesnt look bad at all, but the current cyst is painful. I am beginning to think that accutane is my only option. Before I went on differin and minocycline, my doctor mentioned accutane, but claimed I would have to go through some tests. I just had a blood test 2 weeks ago because of the minocycline, and everything turned out fine. If I go to the dermatologist, how hard would it be to get on accutane? What kind of hoops do I have to jump through? And do you think I would eligible?

It depends on the dermatologist. Some are more reluctant to prescribe Accutane than others. Your doctor may be hesitant at first, since you don't seem to have the "severe, recalcitrant nodular acne" the drug is designed for. That being said, acne doesn't have to be severe in order to get you Accutane. Dermatologists sometimes prescribe Accutane for "persistent" acne, meaning your acne has lasted for many years and no other treatments have worked. It sounds like you could fall into this category. You can strengthen your case by putting together a list of all the treatments you have tried. I brought a typed, two-page document to my new dermatologist, listing the dozens of creams, antibiotics, etc I had already tried. That was kind of overkill, but she immediately suggested Accutane (my acne was also quite severe at the time).

And yeah, there are unfortunately a few hoops to jump through. You have to take monthly blood tests to make sure your liver and triglycerides are ok throughout the treatment. If you're female, you'll also need regular pregnancy tests, and you'll have to wait an extra month before starting your treatment, just to make extra sure you're not pregnant. (I know, it's kind of a pain in the butt, but they're going with "better safe than sorry" when it comes to birth defects.) Plus you'll need to stock up on moisturizer, chapstick, and sunscreen, lay off the alcohol and strenuous exercise for awhile, and really pay attention to your body for a few months. It's a serious drug, but if you acne bothers you a lot, it may be worth it. It was worth it for me.

Whatever you choose, good luck! You can look around these boards if you're hoping to find other ways to treat your acne (might as well kill time while you're waiting for the Accutane paperwork to check out!).

It depends on the dermatologist. Some are more reluctant to prescribe Accutane than others. Your doctor may be hesitant at first, since you don't seem to have the "severe, recalcitrant nodular acne" the drug is designed for. That being said, acne doesn't have to be severe in order to get you Accutane. Dermatologists sometimes prescribe Accutane for "persistent" acne, meaning your acne has lasted for many years and no other treatments have worked. It sounds like you could fall into this category. You can strengthen your case by putting together a list of all the treatments you have tried. I brought a typed, two-page document to my new dermatologist, listing the dozens of creams, antibiotics, etc I had already tried. That was kind of overkill, but she immediately suggested Accutane (my acne was also quite severe at the time).

And yeah, there are unfortunately a few hoops to jump through. You have to take monthly blood tests to make sure your liver and triglycerides are ok throughout the treatment. If you're female, you'll also need regular pregnancy tests, and you'll have to wait an extra month before starting your treatment, just to make extra sure you're not pregnant. (I know, it's kind of a pain in the butt, but they're going with "better safe than sorry" when it comes to birth defects.) Plus you'll need to stock up on moisturizer, chapstick, and sunscreen, lay off the alcohol and strenuous exercise for awhile, and really pay attention to your body for a few months. It's a serious drug, but if you acne bothers you a lot, it may be worth it. It was worth it for me.

Whatever you choose, good luck! You can look around these boards if you're hoping to find other ways to treat your acne (might as well kill time while you're waiting for the Accutane paperwork to check out!).

Thanks a lot. After so many years of acne, I have done lots of research for it. I was originally put on Differin .1 and 100mg of minocycline once a day until I asked my doctor if he could up my prescription. He didnt even think twice. He has mentioned accutane a few times, but said that I would have to go through some tests before hand. I am male, so I dont have as many hoops, but my biggest hurdle would be to convince a dermatologist to prescribe it. My acne may be just mild, but everything I have tried only seem to work off and on. I want something more substantial. Im going to call for an appointment tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Right now would be a perfect time to get started because my college finals end this week, and I have all summer until September.