Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
atliens81

suggestions

Hey all,

I'm looking for new suggestions here. After what I did this past week, I'm actually now completely out of ideas to try. I'm gonna give you the run down of what products and programs I've tried. If you don't see something on there, please offer it up for a possible suggestion. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I'm male

had acne moderate to severe acne (with occasional cysts) since I was aprx 15

started with the standard otc products like oxy and other benzyl products, clearisil, salyclic products, proactive etc etc you name it. always giving more than (in most cases double the time) enough time to expect improvement. and always following directions.

around age 16-17 began working with dermatologists going through a plethora of antibiotics doxy, mino, clindo, just to name a few. used this with topicals ranging from tazorac, retin a. retin a micro, differin, benzaclin, etc etc. finally ended up on accutane. that cleared me until age 20.

at age 20 i flared back up and got back on the cycle of retinoids and anti biotics for another 2 years. no respone. around age 22, went through second round of accutane and got results for about 1 year.

around age 23 acne came back. i decided i wanted to try a minimalist approach and go back to the otc methods. i tried asprin masks, proactive and murad style regimines. no response. age 25 was looking REAL bad and went with accutane again. this time it was barely even worth it. they pulled me off do to a cholesterol rise after 2 months and i got about 3-4 months of remission.

i tried accutane again one more time with lipitor about a year later and got the same 3-4 month remission.

then i tried dan's regimine for about 6 months. no luck there.

then i've just recently shelled out aprx $1,400 for 4 blu-u treatments. im not about 2 months out of having completed that and am mid way through age 27. no results there. im currently back on an antibiotic and finacea (which is a rosacea med). this is a complete waste of time and money.

im in the middle of trying a dr natura colonix and parasite program as we speak. i seem to be having a particularly bad breakout reaction to this so im wondering if thats good or bad.

anways, back to the original point. this past week i finally decided i would see if there was something else wrong with me internally. diabetes runs in the family, allergies, thyroid issues, ANYTHING honestly would have made me feel better so we could just say well THAT might have something to do with it. lets work on that. so i have a whole bunch of blood tests run to see if i had a thyroid or gland issue, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, the works. well... i turned out to be great in all categories. im in perfect health and my diet and excersize is relatively good. im not stressed in the least in my life, and the only health issue i have is some insomia which i treat with ambien. so im left baffled as to how someone in such good shape can have such a bad skin organ.

so thats where im at now. im 27, tried everything known to man with no results and me and my dr's are out of ideas. truth be told i've been the one carrying all that weight for many years now though. i go in and suggest to THEM what i'd like to try next. my doctors anymore are embarrassed to talk to me because i know more about the meds available than they do and my derm is the top rated in the 4 closest states. so since im now at a complete loss, id love any suggestions (futile as they may be) of things to try just for the sake of keeping me busy! lol

sorry for the length here but i didnt want to waste your time suggesting stuff i've already tried.

atliens81, I don't have any suggestions, but am touched by your post. I can only imagine the frustration after having tried so many things, even the last resort drug Accutane. I hope you find relief and I hope someone comes along this thread with some suggestions. Take care.

I am sorry to hear the frustration in your post. This is the right place to share your story and experiences and to take heart in that of others, if only to know you're not alone. :comfort:

My suggestions are:

try an elimination diet (look in nutrition and holistic health for information). It is possible that you have a sensitivity to a food that you are regularly consuming; an elimination diet could assist. Gluten is one common allergen. So is dairy. I would not stop all potential allergens at once; I'd eliminate them one at a time to see which one *if any* are your triggers.

Stop using fabric softener. Use as close to hypoallergenic laundry detergent that you can.

Supplement with zinc and fish oil.

or see if your doctor would be willing to prescribe spironolactone. You could be one of the men who is extremely sensitive to androgens. If you monitor yourself closely for side effects (and your doc does too), spiro is completely safe and ok for men to take. It is first and foremost a blood pressure treatment.

You might need to go back to trying other things in the past that had worked before; sometimes it seems that a few years' break can make some things work again. Retinoids come to mind in that respect.

The above are merely some ideas I had while reading your post. Please do not give up hope, there is ALWAYS something else to try.

Oh, you could also check with Face Reality Skin Care, one of our moderators goes there and has had good success with their program. They are based in San Francisco but they do a long-distance program as well.

hey there. FIrst of I love people like you , instead of being all depressed I can snese that you still have hope. You are facing life with such strength and you will be rewarded for that. Dont lose faith because you will be cured. There is one thing that you have not tried and it is working for me. Ask God to cure you. Seriously, from what it seems all the meds you have tried have not cured you permentalty ,,,just take 10-15 mintues and express yourself to him,,cry if you want but ask for it a cure and you will recive it.

anways, back to the original point. this past week i finally decided i would see if there was something else wrong with me internally. diabetes runs in the family, allergies, thyroid issues, ANYTHING honestly would have made me feel better so we could just say well THAT might have something to do with it. lets work on that. so i have a whole bunch of blood tests run to see if i had a thyroid or gland issue, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, the works. well... i turned out to be great in all categories. im in perfect health and my diet and excersize is relatively good. im not stressed in the least in my life, and the only health issue i have is some insomia which i treat with ambien. so im left baffled as to how someone in such good shape can have such a bad skin organ.

I'd try an elimination diet to determine any food intolerances. Not all show up on typical allergy tests. And have you tried avoiding sugar and hydrogenated/trans fats, preferably by avoiding processed foods in favor of real, nutrient dense foods?

See my sig for what worked for me and links to what do including more about food intolerances.

Wow you really have tried so many things! I really feel for you mate and good luck for the future.

Don't think i've got much knowledge that would help you really but i would agree with others look at your diet closely could be something there that may help. Also do you drink alcohol? Personally i find that when i drink alcohol i get breakouts but if i don't drink my skin can be pretty clear. Good luck though hope you get results soon!