Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John and Sowet,

Maybe the natural form of vitamin A is helping to force out the synthetic vitamin A you overdosed on and these are detox symptoms. I'm not a doctor, but I just don't see how there can be any long-lasting harmful effects from eating carotenoid rich foods. If it were me, I would hang in there for at least a few weeks (despite chapped lips, drier skin, etc) to see if in the long-run, I got better. Anyway... just throwing in my two cents. :)

Have either of you ever tried fasting for 2 or 3 days? I would think that would be a powerful step in detoxing from an overdose as well.

Unfortunately, I can't treat myself as a normal person anymore. =/ I've gone three days with lots of kale and spinach, and I had the worst case of rashes ever that took over a month to clear. My skin was literally peeling, scabbing, and cracking; note that I don't have acne anymore, lol.

I'm not sure what Sowet needs right now. Just offering my two cents in light of my situation. But it's quite logical if you think about it. If high beta-carotene foods really help with oily skin and are effective treatments for acne, and I already suffer extremely dry skin due to vitamin-a, it's pretty logical that those foods will aggravate my situation. Again, everyone needs to find what works for them.

John and Sowet,

Maybe the natural form of vitamin A is helping to force out the synthetic vitamin A you overdosed on and these are detox symptoms. I'm not a doctor, but I just don't see how there can be any long-lasting harmful effects from eating carotenoid rich foods. If it were me, I would hang in there for at least a few weeks (despite chapped lips, drier skin, etc) to see if in the long-run, I got better. Anyway... just throwing in my two cents. :)

Have either of you ever tried fasting for 2 or 3 days? I would think that would be a powerful step in detoxing from an overdose as well.

hmm, I guess I should buy some GLA 6 oil stuff and take that.

I was bout to buy some carrots but I have scaly peely flaky skin and lips forever now.

I remember taking Cod oil and vita A and B and actually, I use to take like 17+ pills at once (supplements)

I just take Calcium with Vita D.

Every once in awhile take some B complex and naicin.

But I just don't understand why I have such a shitty dry face.

Actually I do know why. It's because I used shaving cream many many years ago and left it on my face. The foam seemed to die from a pimple and I thought maybe that would help me.

I really wish I can go back in time by 10 years. But I thought for sure that my face would have healed by then. Maybe it's not from that.

But I'll buy some EPO or Borage oil. I never used borage before, only EPO. Didn't really do anything, felt like it was for women though.

I also hardly ever see the sun. So I don't really have any sun skin damage. (worked nightshift for 5 years and generally avoided the sun anyways)

Has anyone tried to blend chicken?

With pee???

Edit: oops, sorry, wrong thread :D I thought I clicked the urine therapy thread...

Edited by AKL

hahahaha, I thought I posted in the "FABULOUS SKIN..." thread.

Has anyone tried to blend chicken?

With pee???

Edit: oops, sorry, wrong thread :D I thought I clicked the urine therapy thread...

AKL,

LOL! And, your avatar scares me!!!!!!! hahahahahah :lol:

hesitation,

Well, first off, I try to only eat chicken that is free-range, cage-free, etc., as I don't want to contribute to factory raised chicken (very sad). :( Having said that, I think if I were making a veggie soup, chicken would blend just fine. Actually, I've probably had blended chicken before, as my mom has made me chicken soup in the past before, and when making soups, she often blends. You could even "pulse" the chicken in some broth so that it would get blended into chunks rather than just all pureed. As for putting one in a smoothie.... well, I guess if it was a veggie based smoothie it might be okay! haha :)

One thing I noticed everytime I have a green smoothie is that before I even finish my first glass I have to run to the bathroom and I don't mean to be repulsive, but my excretes are beautiful. I like this effect because its a type of flushing and its very healthy for the colon once in a while. I intend to have a green smoothie 2-3 times a week. I like to have them for breakfast.

One thing I noticed everytime I have a green smoothie is that before I even finish my first glass I have to run to the bathroom and I don't mean to be repulsive, but my excretes are beautiful. I like this effect because its a type of flushing and its very healthy for the colon once in a while. I intend to have a green smoothie 2-3 times a week. I like to have them for breakfast.

i love having them for breakfast. i usually just eat some cereal, down a smoothie, and im so full that i can skip lunch and i'll get hungry just in time for dinner. i bet you could loose some serious weight with this stuff if you just drank it 2-3 times a day and avoided food.

Sowet, do you really have to "run" to the bathroom? haha It might be that the greens are an irritant to your digestive tract. This seems to be rare, but it does happen to some people. I don't want to advise you here, as I don't know the best thing for this, but what I don't want is for you to cause irritation to your digestive system, as I wonder if this could lead to things like irritable bowel syndrome? I almost wonder if you're displaying symptoms of IBS? If caught early, I'm pretty sure it's not too hard to get over. Anyway, your post just concerned me a bit. Hopefully I'm just over-reacting here though. hehe :)

Sowet, do you really have to "run" to the bathroom? haha It might be that the greens are an irritant to your digestive tract. This seems to be rare, but it does happen to some people. I don't want to advise you here, as I don't know the best thing for this, but what I don't want is for you to cause irritation to your digestive system, as I wonder if this could lead to things like irritable bowel syndrome? I almost wonder if you're displaying symptoms of IBS? If caught early, I'm pretty sure it's not too hard to get over. Anyway, your post just concerned me a bit. Hopefully I'm just over-reacting here though. hehe :)

Thanks for the concern Fairy... sorry I didn't answer sooner but I've been trying to stay off the forums and today I decided to leave a post because I felt it would be rude not to reply and such. The smoothie makes me go to the bathroom after I finish about a cup... it doesn't hurt or anything and it feels nice....not sure about IBS. I haven't had one of those smoothies in a while as I try to have my veggies whole now. Other than that....im doing fine....hair is growing longer... but what I noticed for a while now is that even though my hair is fairly long... the strands that come off after I swipe my hand through my hair after a shower...are maybe 1/6th the size of my actual hair.....and they are always that length... all of them... so im guessing the hair that is starting to grow is too fragile to reach the length of the others and so there is this thinning hair appearance. On a good note, I am going for a blood test next week and hopefully all my values turn out normal this time!!!! I have my eye on bilirubin levels!!

hesitation,

Well, first off, I try to only eat chicken that is free-range, cage-free, etc., as I don't want to contribute to factory raised chicken (very sad). :( Having said that, I think if I were making a veggie soup, chicken would blend just fine. Actually, I've probably had blended chicken before, as my mom has made me chicken soup in the past before, and when making soups, she often blends. You could even "pulse" the chicken in some broth so that it would get blended into chunks rather than just all pureed. As for putting one in a smoothie.... well, I guess if it was a veggie based smoothie it might be okay! haha :)

Free-range chicken is a bit of scam. During a chickens short life on "the range" they are only actually allowed to "go outside" for 2 weeks and most actually never do. (I'm reading Omnivore's Dillema right now and it's really messing my food world up and I feel pretty helpless, but I just wanted to share that tidbit of info) But what can you do? I eat "free-range" meat too...

Back on topic:

I take beta carotene in pill form. It's just extract from food sources. And I've read many places it's incredibly difficult (some say impossible) to OD on. Not that I take a ton (25,000IU 2x daily with meals)

I am in the long process of really changing my entire diet because I do believe if you eat correctly you shouldn't have to take supplements. But they help so much right now that I am not ready to give them up.

homelessdan,

Do you remember what type of chicken we're supposed to look for? It's hard to keep straight with all the deceiving goes on these days, and I can't remember the last time I actually bought chicken.

About beta-carotene, please see the below. Instead of supplementing with beta-carotene, have you considered just going green smoothies everyday? They are a great source of bc, and you get all the other carotenoids and phytonutrients that are contained in the greens.

Isolated Beta-Carotene Increases Cancer Risk

The precursor to vitamin A, beta carotene was once regarded as a safe and beneficial antioxidant and even recommended as an anti-cancer vitamin, but it has recently been shown to increase the risk of certain cancers when administered as an isolated supplement. Scientists now suspect that problems may result when beta-carotene is ingested without other carotenoids that would have been present had it been ingested from real food. Beta-carotene is only one of about 500 carotenoids that exist. Beta-carotene supplements are poor substitutes for the broad assortment of carotenoid compounds found in plants.

Researchers thought that beta-carotene had a powerful anti-cancer effect because they had found that populations with high levels of beta-carotene in their bloodstream had exceedingly low rates of cancer. Recently, it was discovered that the reason these people were protected against cancer was because of hundreds of carotenoids and phytochemicals in the fruits and vegetables they were consuming. It wasn't that beta carotene alone was responsible for the benefit; it was merely that it had served as a flag or marker for those populations with a high fruit and vegetable intake. Unfortunately, many scientists confused the flag for the ship.

In Finnish trials, using beta-carotene supplements failed to prevent lung cancer, and there was actually an increase in cancer in those who took the supplement.6 This study was halted when the physician researchers discovered the death rate from lung cancer was 28 percent higher among participants who had taken the high amounts of beta carotene and vitamin A. The death rate from heart disease was also 17 percent higher in those who had taken the supplements compared to those just given a placebo.7 Another recent study showed similar results, correlating beta-carotene supplementation with an increased occurrence of prostate cancer.

As a result of these European studies, as well as similar studies conducted here in the United States, articles in the New England Journal of Medicine,8 the Journal of the National Cancer Institute,9 and the Lancet10 all advise people to stop taking beta-carotene supplements.

Source:

For chickens...your best bet is befriending a farmer that you like and buying from them, otherwise it's hard to know...

For beta cerotene...honestly, I find it hard to completely believe someone who is trying to sell a product. There may be problems but the vast majority of info I can find (by people not selling anything) is positive.

Regardless, as I said before, I'd like to eventually not take any vitamins, but I can't see myself doing it now. I make almost nothing so taking a pill that costs me cents a day compared to spending more than I have on a smoothie everyday is not a hard choice for me.

Edited by homelessdan

homelessdan,

Below are all studies, from credible sources, that reveal the harmful effects of isolated beta-carotene. These studies aren't trying to "sell" anything. You've made it more than clear where you stand, but you can buy frozen, bagged spinach for about a dollar that'll last a week if used in smoothies - about 15 cents a day. Anyway... just trying to help here. Good luck.

Kolata G. Studies Find Beta Carotene, Taken by Millions, Can’t Forestall Cancer or Heart Disease. New York Times, Jan. 19, 1996.

Rapola JM, Viramo J, Ripatti S. et al. Randomized trial of Alpha-Tocopherol and Beta-Carotene supplements on incidence of major coronary events in men with previous myocardial infarction. Lancet. 1997. 349(9067): 1715-1720.

Mayne ST. Beta-carotene, carotenoids, and disease prevention in humans. FASEB. 1996;10(7):690-701.

Goodman GE. Prevention of lung cancer. Current Opinion in Oncology 1998;10(2):122-126.

Kolata G. Studies Find Beta Carotene, Taken by Millions, Can't Forestall Cancer or Heart Disease. New York Times, Jan 19, 1996.

Omenn GS, Goodman GE, Thornquist MD, et al. Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. New England Journal of Medicine 1996;334(18);1150-1155.

Hennekens CH, Buring JE, Manson JE, et al. Lack of effect of long-term supplementation with beta carotene on the incidence of malignant neoplasms and cardiovascular disease. New England Journal of Medicine 1996;334(18):1145-1149.

Albanes D, Heinonen OP, Taylor PR, et al. Alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene supplements and lung cancer incidence in the alpha-tocopherol, beta-carotene cancer prevention study: effects of base-line characteristics and study compliance. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1996;88(21):1560-1570.

Rapola JM, Virtamo J, Ripatti S, et al. Randomized trial of alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene supplements on incidence of major coronary events in men with previous myocardial infarction. Lancet 1997;349(9067):1715-1720. D

Bjelakovic G, Nikolava D, Gluud LL, et al. Antioxidant supplements for prevention of mortality in healthy participants and patient with various diseases. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008;16(2):CD00776.

Omenn GS. Goodman GE. Thornquist MD. Et al. Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 1996. 334(18): 1145-1149.

Just to keep you guys updated... I recently went for another blood test to see how my hyperbilirubimia is going...hopefully my levels have gone down.