Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I.AM.AN.IDIOT.

I wish I never stumbled upon this forum because all of the information on this forum has educated me. With education comes knowledge and being the person I am I have tried many different methods to cure my acne that I have read from this forum. Not putting blame on the forum, sorry if it sounded that way. I just personally just feel that if I were ignorant like my silbling... I would be clear and healthy by now.

I have taken b5 at anywhere from 2-4g daily for months = hair thinning

-Not going to start listing all the other stuff i've taken cause I dont want to bore you guys with multivitamins

I have taken large doses of Vitamin A... at some points over 100,000UI for about a couple months. I realized what a stupid mistake that was and I stopped. About a few months later I started again because the results were great. This time I used about 20-50,000UI daily... for a few months.. and then stopped and started using cod liver oil about 6 times daily for a few months

After year of struggling with acne I have made matters worse:

I have lost my hair. I had the most amazing thick hair... I don't mean to brag but everytime I would go get a haircut I would ALWAYS get compliments.

I have the thinnest hair imaginable now and I am forced to keep shaving my head.

God knows what other internal problems I might have. I currently feel fine but my skin isn't too great. It's just not skin...

I hope that I can somewhat reverse the damage... I pray to have my hair back but if I don't.... there isn't anything I can do about it. I hate having to deal with such a reality at such a early age in my life. I am going to hope for the best.

My face developed some form of dermatitis and butterfly like rash that might be caused by Lupus.

My face peals and has a yellow/scaly tint. (the peels)

My face was bad before... but I wish I never started this 2 year campaign with vitamins.

I am 18 and I would give anything to go back 2 years and have my nasty acne but atleast my face was normal and my hair was extremely beautiful.

As of today I have quit using all forms of vitamins. I occasionally take 25mg of Zinc and ONE Fish Oil pill....

I have made this threat to warn people so they don't make the same mistakes I did.

Best advice I can give you: Stay away from b5 and Vitamin A. Please. I beg of you.

- For the sake of others and to help myself I will try and Document a recovery if it is even existent. The next few months of my life will be incredibly hard. I am most likely going to see the return of hardcore nasty whiteheads.... And I am talking about double-headed whiteheads... fu----n disgusting. Oh well....I can kiss my already shitty social life goodbye for a bit.

I'm like you, except that I'm anti-pills in general. I don't take any forms of pills. I've had bad experiences with them (anti-depressants and sleeping pills didn't work for me. They made me worse).

Your looking at the biggest anti-pill person in the planet..... BEFORE I got acne. Even when I got sick I would never take any medication or anything. The year I got acne everything changed. I started taking antibiotics, vitamins, you fuken name it. I am ashamed of what i've become. Screw acne...

Sorry for my rude language but I honestly feel it expresses my feelings in a more real way. If it offends anyone please let me know, I will gladly edit my post.

It's alright, I totally understand. I was like you. I did whatever it takes to get rid of my acne as well. They all didn't work. I wasted so much money on all those junk. So, what I did was stay calm and live a healthy lifestyle. You know what, it worked. I haven't gotten a pimple in a very long time. My face is clearing up as well. So, I joined this site because I want to help people.

If you read some of my posts, you'll see that I always mention living a healthy lifestyle (eat lots of fruits and vegetables, excercise, etc) and cleaning your face with cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. It works wonders.

Don't worry, everything will get better soon. But I understand how you feel right now. It definitely hurts......

I've been living a very pro-health lifestyle since the beginning of the year. I eat a lot of fruits, veggies and try to limit my carbs. I also eat a lot of fats.

I have not used any topicals besides water and the acne.org cleaner. I've started this 4-5 months ago.

I'm glad you stopped taking the supplements. Now you can get your health back on track...you should definitely talk to a doctor if you haven't already, about getting some of those issues sorted out.

By the way, your hair just might grow back. People who experience hair loss from isotretinoin (which is a vitamin A derivative) often find that it grows back when they stop the medication. Check the Accutane forums if you want to read more about that.

Your post is a really useful one, because people need to be careful! There's a lot of fear surrounding Accutane, particularly on the nutrition board, and people sometimes conclude that vitamin A should be safer because it's "natural." As your post shows, natural is not necessarily better. Natural vitamin A is actually quite a bit more dangerous than Accutane, and taking it without a doctor's supervision, without the monthly blood tests or prescriptions or anything...that's really scary. Guys, check with a doctor before getting too supplement-happy! :shifty:

I understand what you mean. I hear about so many people on here religiously taking supplements, and it's just silly. I do take a multi-vitamin, C, and fish oil, but that's it. I believe that the bulk of our nutrition should come from diet alone, and healthy lifestyle. Too much of anything is not going to turn out well, like you experienced. I live on the belief of a healthy, carefree lifestyle. I avoid certain foods, of course. Why? Because I feel happier, healthier, and more energetic when I eat well. I also believe that many other illnesses would never exist if everyone followed a healthy lifestyle and avoided prescriptions and drugs. In fact, I hardly even need pills since I've started living healthier. A Motrin for a headache? I hardly get headaches anymore? Allergy medicine? I'm rarely sniffly the way I used to be, even now in spring when EVERYTHING is in bloom. I haven't yet gotten sick. Heck, I hardly get cramps, fatigue, mood swings, or any other menstrual symptom anymore. I fervently believe that pills will never solve problems. They're a ploy, a scam. Don't waste your money.

:)

Yup, I totally agree. I had always believed that but somewhere down the road lost track. Depending on the day/diet I'll take <25mg of zinc and only one fish oil. I do not take these everyday but only when it seems appropriate.

Its very interesting because I was looking at some pictures of myself from last year when I was on the b5 pills and I noticed my hair even then was thinning and looked awful. Of course I didn't pay attention because my face was cleared. I credit the b5 for thinning my hair and the Vitamin A for the hair loss.

I will be patient and give my body as much as it takes to get back on track. If it doesn't happen 100% then I will have to deal with that. Wish me luck guys.

don't blame vitamins. YOU decided to not follow the rules and have the healthy doses. over over 100,000UI of vitamin a? you are crazy. get your blood tested

Ignorance truly is bliss. As for a remedy to your hair problem, you can always wear a toupee, or continue what you're doing, shaving it military style.

Ouch. I am sorry to hear that. I have also lost ALOT of hair in the past year. My hair is about to my chest now, but it is very thin, especially when I compare it to how it used to be. How many of these pills did you take? I have been taking one multi vitamin a day, and if that really does add to hair loss, I might stop taking them..

Getting the proper amounts of Vitamin A is essential to your body and Vitamin A plays an important role in preventing a lot of diseases as well as it's important to the health of your skin in the case of acne. What you did though was go far and above the dosages you should of been taking. Just because you read about it on the forum doesn't mean their recommended dose is safe. Taking 20,000-25,000 IU from a fish oil derived source would of been just fine. That's how much I'm taking now myself even though I did try as much as 40,000 IU off and on for a few weeks but I never really saw a difference and I backed off because I knew that was probably a higher amount than I needed to be taking after doing more research. But 100,000 IU for a prolonged period is no doubt ignorance at it's best.

So it's not that people need to quit supplementing with vitamins. It's that you need to do your research about how much to actually take because some vitamins like Vitamin A have severe side effects when you overdose for a period of time. Whereas other Vitamins like Vitamin C you can take in mega doses without any serious side effects at all for most people. When you've reached the point of taking too much Vitamin C you'll just probably get diarrhea until you back your dose back down lol. I know I've been taking 5,000-6,000 mg of C a day without any effects at all. And I never get sick even when the rest of my entire family does so I do attritube that in part to me building my immune system higher with supplements.

If anyone comes across a thread where a poster is encouraging others to take a suppliment well beyond the recommend dose, please report it. We'd like to make those types of posts invisible because following those recommendations can be very dangerous as you can see!

sowet, I hope everything works out for you and that you remain in good health. This is a useful thread. Thank you for starting it.

You might want to look up vitamin A hypervitaminosis and get yourself to the doctor.

Taking that much Vit. A is bad news.... its probably worse than accutane, where did you read this information?

I have a feeling its from an old thread some one started where I got into a heated discussion about why OD'ing on Vit. A is bad lol.

Ouch. I am sorry to hear that. I have also lost ALOT of hair in the past year. My hair is about to my chest now, but it is very thin, especially when I compare it to how it used to be. How many of these pills did you take? I have been taking one multi vitamin a day, and if that really does add to hair loss, I might stop taking them..

You are probably getting all you need from your diet anyway, if it's balanced.

You might want to look up vitamin A hypervitaminosis and get yourself to the doctor.

Taking that much Vit. A is bad news.... its probably worse than accutane, where did you read this information?

I have a feeling its from an old thread some one started where I got into a heated discussion about why OD'ing on Vit. A is bad lol.

Well Vitamin A OD'ing is going to be entirely dependent upon the person because some people can handle large doses of Vitamin A whereas others cannot. I just did a Google search a minute ago and I've seen tests where they've given patients as much as 200,000-300,000 IU a day for treatment while most others stick with 50,000 - 100,000 IU. But I would say for most people 25,000 IU is going to be a pretty safe dosage because I'm not seeing hardly any reports of people reaching toxicity levels with a dose that low. But I also wouldn't start exceeding that level too far unless you consult a doctor who can monitor you.

Here are just a handful of articles that I pulled up real fast:

Recommended Daily Requirements :

* Infants - 1,500 I.U.

* Children - 3,000 I.U.

* Adults - 6,000 I.U.

* Supplemental Dosage - 10,000 I.U. / day for continuous intake, 5,000 I.U. /day is recommended or 10,000 I.U. every other day.

* Therapeutic Dosage - 25,000 to 100,000 I.U.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Health_Benefits_of_Vitamin_A

Acne disappeared in from two and a half to six months under treatment with large doses of vitiamin A, according to an article in the Journal of the Indian Medical Association, March 1954. In all, seventy-five patients were treated. All other kinds of treatments had failed, even those continued over long periods of time. During the time the doctors gave vitamin A, they gave no other treatment. The dosage was 100,000 units of vitimin A. All patients could be "regarded as cured".

It is the belief of the authors of this article, K.D.Lahiri and F.J.Scandrett, that the vitamin A is effective not only because of direct action on the skin, but also, they feel, because of it probably has some effect on the lack of balance of the sex hormones, which appears to be characteristic of acne ,coming at the time of puberty. Perhaps, say these researchers, large doses of vitamin A may eventually restore the proper ratio of androgen and estrogen--that is, the male and female sex hormones.

http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1121071

Conclusions: The vitamin A doses of 50,000 and 75,000 IU/day for 1 year proved safe and equally more efficacious than the 25,000 IU/day dose and can be recommended for future skin cancer chemoprevention studies.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/...tract/10/6/1875

Condition Suggested Dosage

Acne, eczema, psoriasis 10,000-50,000 IU

Cancer prevention 10,000-50,000 IU

Skin problems 10,000-25,000 IU

Enhancing immunity 10,000-50,000 IU

Gastrointestinal ulcers 10,000-50,000 IU

HIV/AIDS 5,000-25,000 IU

Polluted air 5,000-25,000 IU

Respiratory problems:

allergies, asthma, bronchitis,

emphysema, sinusitis 15,000-50,000 IU

http://www.best-vitamin-supplements-guide....a-carotene.html

Vitamin A Toxicity and Overdosage

Acute toxicity in infants or children may occur with a single dose of 25,000 IU per kilogram of body weight (the conversion is 2.2 pounds per kilogram). For example, a child weighing 22 pounds (10 Kg.) would have to take a single dose of 250,000 units to manifest an acute toxic reaction. A dose of 2,000,000 IU or greater in adults may cause acute toxic symptoms. Most of the reported cases of vitamin A toxicity and overdosage has been from arctic explorers who consumed livers of polar animals, polar bears and seals in particular. There have been very few reports of fatalities from high doses of vitamin A.

Supplemental doses of 10,000 IU of vitamin A daily or greater have been reported to increase the risk of birth defects when used by pregnant women.

Subjects in the EUROSCAN study were given 300,000 IU/day of vitamin A for one year followed by 150,000 IU/day for the second year. Typical side effects were mucocutaneous ones including dryness, desquamation, itching, bleeding and hair loss. Hepatotoxicity has been reported in one patient who took 25,000 IU/day of vitamin A over a six-year period.

Symptoms of Vitamin A Toxicity

Signs and Symptoms of Vitamin A Toxicity include:

* Blurred vision

* Bone pain

* Diarrhea

* Dryness of the skin and mucous membranes

* Fatigue

* Headache

* Liver damage and liver enlargement

* Loss of hair

* Nausea

* Skin rashes

* Small cracks and scales on the lips and at the corners of the mouth

* Vomiting

* Irritability

* Pseudotumor cerebri (benign intracranial hypertension)

* Elevated serum liver enzymes

* Reversible noncirrhotic portal hypertension

* Hepatic fibrosis and cirrhosis

Vitamin A Dosage

From research studies and numerous anecdotal reports, it appears that short term use of high doses of vitamin A may be helpful in boosting immune function and increasing resistance to a number of diseases. It appears that many adults may be able to take 25,000 to 50,000 IU of vitamin A for short periods with little or no risk of toxicity. I once met a doctor who took 50,000 IU per day for 25 years without apparent adverse effects. He was a large bodied man. His opinion was that vitamin A is a very important nutrient for health and disease resistance and that the RDA is ridiculously low. I also found one study of a small bodied female who developed symptoms of vitamin A toxicity after taking 25,000 IU per day for two years. In order to achieve single dose vitamin A toxicity, similar to the arctic explorers who ate polar bear liver, one would have to swallow from one to five bottles of vitamin A all at once.

I personally take 25,000 to 75,000 IU per day for weeks at a time during cold season. With this and other supplements to support my immune system, I rarely catch any cold or flu bug, even though I am exposed to patients with the sniffles daily. I also go off of the increased vitamin A supplements and drop down to intakes in the RDA range for one to three months or more at a time. I am not recommending that anyone follow my example.

http://www.advance-health.com/vitaminA.html

Thanks a lot for the research and input guys. I sorta knew what I was getting myself into. I had done a lot of previous research on Vitamin A. To be honest I was rather immature and naive to think that everything would be fine at such high doses. Things were fine while I was supplementing, however it is now 5 months since my vitamin A overdose and the effects have started to show about 2 months ago. My skin flakes are very yellow in color... my hair is very thin... and I have a butterfly rash.

I appreciate the support from the forum.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks a lot for the research and input guys. I sorta knew what I was getting myself into. I had done a lot of previous research on Vitamin A. To be honest I was rather immature and naive to think that everything would be fine at such high doses. Things were fine while I was supplementing, however it is now 5 months since my vitamin A overdose and the effects have started to show about 2 months ago. My skin flakes are very yellow in color... my hair is very thin... and I have a butterfly rash.

I appreciate the support from the forum.

Keep up the good work.

If your skin or eyes are yellow as you said, get to the doctor immediately...that could be a sign of liver problems!

Ive been taking 225,000 - 250,000 UI of vit A for 3 weeks, nearly 4 now. and my acne is starting to go away, becoming alot more clearer. The general redness on my face is totally gone, i can see my normal skin. The usual side effects chapped lipps/etc

But one thing i did notice in the first week of taking it was my liver hurt like s**t. but after that it was fine. I went and got a blood test today because my derm put me on accutane, but i doubt ill pass the initial blood test cos of the high vit A im on. hopefully i will.

After reading sowet's experience iv considered stopping the vit a as of today.

First of all, it's recommended to take vitamins and minerals FROM FOOD, not from supplements. AND vitamins don't work in isolation, zinc alone will not help you, vitamin A alone will not help you, etc; you must take them together. I've read on acnevitamin.org that vitamin A works very well together with zinc and vitamin E. And you must not take more than 20.000-30.000 IU/day(Vitamin A), 50mg Zinc and 400 IU(Vitamin E).

WHO TOLD YOU IT'S WISE TO TAKE B5? Nobody I guess. You can't just take supplements because another person did this and he was clear after that.

I take vitamin A but only 8,000IU...why in gods name would anyone take over 20,000? Or why take B5 that is known to fuck people up.

Just make sure your body has the right stuff int he right amounts. I take vitamin A and my hair is strong, my face is clear for the most part. i do feel a little more tired, but that's because I work hard.

sowet, if you decide to visit a doctor (which is probably a good idea, as others have said...you can at least make sure your liver is ok), could you report back and let us know how it went? It would be useful for other people who are looking into supplements to weigh their options.

In general, getting your vitamins from food is safer and more effective than trying to get the proportions right all by yourself. The immense world of supplements can be confusing and honestly, pretty dangerous if you don't know precisely what you're doing (and few people do; even the best nutritionists aren't sure about this stuff). If you really want to go the "high doses of Vitamin A" route, take Accutane under the supervision of a dermatologist.

Guest missyjean130

Anyone can write anything on the internet and claim it's fact.

I get IDEAS from this site and then at least try to research the information elsewhere.

Check your resoures! There's only a select few people on this site whos info I can safely say is well researched,a lot of other people on this site don't know wtf they're talking about.

Megadosing vitamin A IS dangerous since you're not even being monitored by a doctor.

Be careful guys....=(

Sowet,

I am so sorry for your current struggles. :( Vitamin A overdose is definitely dangerous. I'd advise sticking to plant foods for now, as you cannot overdose on vitamin A from plant foods, and you need to avoid the forms of vitamin A that can build up and become toxic. Stop taking any multi-vitamin that contains it. I don't know much at all about vitamin A overdose, but I would think flooding your body with good nutrition from plant foods, to allow your body to heal, would be your best bet for now, and I'm assuming that you're also consulting professional sources on vitamin A overdose. I wonder if a fast might help as well? They are great for eliminating toxins from the body as well as other ailments. You need to do it safely, however. Dr. Fuhrman M.D., has a great book on fasting: http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/books.aspx. He is a very credible medical doctor and well respected by top doctors like Dr. Mehmet Oz (one of the Discovery Channel docs, and he's often on Oprah as well). Hang in there - I'm sure that with time, things will get better. Good luck. :)