Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xLKphotox

Can BP wash cause irritation?

A couple of months ago I was prescribed a BP cleanser along with Retin A. I started off by using the cleanser every morning and night and the Retin A about 3 times a week. I started to feel like my skin was reacting very poorly to the BP as in it would get really red and sting and my active pimples started turning a purpley red. So I switched to using a gentle cleanser (Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser) and my face automatically started to feel much better. I started getting less frequent breakouts and the Retin A started to work its magic. Every now and then I would throw in the BP wash in the morning and my face would automatically start to look bad again and I would get at least one new pimple.

I feel like I am going against doctors orders with not using the BP cleanser but I feel like I get better results without it. Or was I experiencing an initial breakout from it? Is this possible with just a BP cleanser? Can anyone help? Has anyone ever experienced this from BP? :think:

Tell the dermatologist that the cleanser is irritating your skin. BP is known to break you out more in the beginning... until like 6-8 weeks after you start noticing results.

Make sure you are not being rough when using that cleanser, and try leaving it on your skin for 2-3 minutes to kill the bacteria. Follow up with a very nice moisturizer like Dove Sensitive Skin Day Lotion/Cream or CeraVe.

IMO do not use the cleanser and Retin-A at the same time... use a gentle cleanser before Retin-A, and use the BP Cleanser on the days you wont be using Retin-A, but make sure you use a moisturizer that prevents irritations such as the Dove Sensitive Skin day lotion.

Using BP + Any other acne medication... you will most likely irritate your skin, avoid! Do not use more than one acne product at a time.

Tell the dermatologist that the cleanser is irritating your skin. BP is known to break you out more in the beginning... until like 6-8 weeks after you start noticing results.

Make sure you are not being rough when using that cleanser, and try leaving it on your skin for 2-3 minutes to kill the bacteria. Follow up with a very nice moisturizer like Dove Sensitive Skin Day Lotion/Cream or CeraVe.

IMO do not use the cleanser and Retin-A at the same time... use a gentle cleanser before Retin-A, and use the BP Cleanser on the days you wont be using Retin-A, but make sure you use a moisturizer that prevents irritations such as the Dove Sensitive Skin day lotion.

Using BP + Any other acne medication... you will most likely irritate your skin, avoid! Do not use more than one acne product at a time.

Yes BP is harsh and can definitely cause irritation in skin. BP is not a safe for skin, it is known to cause skin "mutations" which can change skin cells or moles cancerous. Look it up. I use Lerosett for spot treatment. It is mud and work quite well.

I feel like I am going against doctors orders with not using the BP cleanser but I feel like I get better results without it. Or was I experiencing an initial breakout from it? Is this possible with just a BP cleanser? Can anyone help? Has anyone ever experienced this from BP? :think:

I think it's pretty common to have irritation from a BP wash in the beginning, especially if you're also using Retin-A.

I started using a BP wash on my chest a couple of months ago, and it was pretty rough going in the beginning - red, itchy, dry. After a couple of weeks, though, it was fine. It doesn't bother me at all when I use it daily now. I think your skin just has to build up a resistance to it. Maybe try doing it once a day every other day, and then working up to once a day, to twice a day, etc.

OR if you think the Retin-A is doing a good enough job on its own, I don't think it would be the end of the world to ditch the BP altogether. I know that using both RA and BP on my skin would rip my sensitive skin apart.

Thanks so much guys for your comments. I think I am gonna give the wash a rest and just use a gentle one :)

Hey Girl, I don't even know y I didn't mention what I use for cleaning! It's called vetiver by the river soap company. It's a vegetable soao which sounds funny, but it's awesome!!!!!!!!!! 10+ years of acne just found it and started using emu oil, as well. Skin is doing well! Give one or both a shot, I think you'll be happy! btw, how do i get a pic on my profile...it says its too big and i dont know how to get it small enuff???

Thanks for the info Ckko! I will definitely check it out. I just used a small pic that I had on my computer. I shrunk it in photoshop then uploaded it. I may be the wrong person to ask cuz I am technology illiterate

Thanks so much guys for your comments. I think I am gonna give the wash a rest and just use a gentle one :)

I think this is the right decision.

Some people may be able to use both BP and Retin A in their regimen, but all I can think is ..... ow.

Also, I hope your derm mentioned that you should not use the two products on your face at the same time? BP oxidizes Retin A.