Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I'm 13 years old and today I went to a dermatologist for the 1st time today. He prescribed me Differin 0.1 Cream, not the Gel, since my skin is sensitive. I asked him if I will break out worse at first, and he said no, probably not. Anyway, here are my questions:

-How long will it take for me to see results?

-Is the cream gentler than the gel?

-How much should I apply?

-Will it help mild blackheads on the nose?

Thanks!

The website says about 12 weeks for your skin to be clear.

Personally, I've been on differin 0.3 gel since February 5th and my skin hasn't changed much. It has changed a little, some pimples have left my skin; but that's because during the middle of treatment I was also prescribed another topical to help- which has , a lot! It's called Aczone- you might want to ask your derm about it.

Well I'm not sure personally. I'm on the gel, like I said. But I don't think there is a difference between the .1 gel and the .1 cream. I think they are just in different "liquid" forms.

Well it says this on the box and should say on your prescription details. The box says to apply a pea sized amount to wear you need it. Apply it all over where you get your acne. For me, I put a pea sized amount on my forehead, another pea sized amount on my chin, and the same for my nose. Ask your derm for further details.

I am not sure. I have a lot of blackheads, and they haven't cleared up with the stuff. But that's probably because they maybe clear up later? I don't know. Again, I would ask your dermatologist.

Not to discourage you, but Differin didn't work for me. It starts working immediately, but starts showing major improvements around 6-7 weeks.

A lot gentler. I've been prescribed both. I liked the cream because it was like Differin+a moisturizer in one. :]

A pea amount. I usually applied a tad bit more if I felt like I didn't get it everywhere.

It didn't for me. :/. Maybe for you?

Well, I've been using Differin along with taking Minocyclin since November of last year, and I've seen MAJOR improvements. I saw results a couple months in to it. Check out my blog if you want to see my progress and whatnot. :P It may help. Ahh, I'm still using it now, I'm on my second tube of the stuff, and it's working like a charm. I just have some red spots left, and the occassional zit will pop up. But nothing like before.

I wouldn't know. I have only been using the gel. But it's pretty gentle. Well..except for that one time I got a sunburn and it stung like hell. xD So..don't get sunburned and it'll be ok!

Like the others have said, I apply a bit more than they suggest, and it seems to help. Use enough to cover your face in a thin layer of the stuff.

Eh. Not too sure about that. I have some teeny tiny ones, and they're less noticeable. So maybe it'll work for you. I hope so! :D

From my son's experience it took 7-8 weeks to see a considerable improvement then after that things quickly started to look up for him

He's been on 0.03 for about 1 year now. Although he does get an occasional pimple it quickly goes away (he's 16 & the hormones are still raging).

My son's been using the gel.

He does apply a little more than the recommended "pea" size just so he can cover his whole face.

As for blackheads, he still has some on his nose.

Here's another tidbit.....change your pillow case every other day just to keep it fresh.

The pillow case idea isn't really valid...at least I don't think so. Don't judge, but I am in college right now and I probably change my sheets once a month (no, I"m not a guy =P). It doesn't seem to affect me that much, but I do keep my hair up at night and well, you might want to try it but I'm not sure how much that helps.

As for the Differin, I have been using the Differin .1% gel for about 9 months now, and it took about 20 weeks for me to see improvement. My skin definitely got worse around weeks 5-6, but because of the org, I knew that that would happen and it was easier to go through. I use about half of the recommend "pea sized" amount, and it works quite well for me.

I do not have perfectly clear skin, but that is due to hormones I think. It has helped though, and for that I'm thankful. I hope it works for you! =)