Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plissken

Retin-A after accutane?

I'll probably be using Retin-A after my course, but how long should I wait before using it? I know that you should wait at least 6 months for scar treatments (because the skin still sucks at healing itself post-accutane). Is it the same for retinoids?

Not at all. Some people on very low Accutane doses used Retin A throughout the Accutane course.

But if you have any remaining redness or irritation you'll likely want to wait until that dissipates. It might be a week or two, or maybe a month.

Your derm will probably prescribe you some retinoid if you request it. Or they'll just wait till you come back asking for one. The latter is preferable to them.

Guest tofupup

I waited a month after stopping accutane before using Retin-A, but only because that's how long it took the insurance company to get its head out of its ass and agree to cover the prescription.

My derm, however, said I could start using it after a week.

I'd say a week or two, depending on how your skin feels. Be sure to ease into it slowly! Here's the schedule I generally recommend for getting accustomed to retinoids:

First week -- 1 out of 3 nights

Second week -- 1 out of 2 nights

Third week -- 2 out of 3 nights

Fourth week -- Nightly

If at any point your face gets red, sore & irritated, STOP using Retin A until things go back to normal ... then pick up the schedule where you left off.