Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyanRude

Acne alot worse after improving my diet :(

I was having a bunch of bakery buns every day, maybe 5 buns, maybe some tast or sandwiches, if not buns. I was drinking alot beer, I'm canadian and i love my beer but mayb ethe yeast effects me. Typically I will eat a couepl eggs scrambled for breakfast, yesterday I had some oatmeal. I cut out milk even though I'd love a bowl of cereal. I take almost every vitamin there is, I might eat a chicken breast with a potato for diner, maybe soup, maybe some pasta, whatever I feel like, usually with a salad as well. The last couepl days i broke down and had some cookies, it was killing me. I drink alot of water, for 3 weeks the only beverage I had was water but the last couepl days I had some weclhes grap juice, couldn't take only water anymore. I use to eat alot, now I'm oretty damn hungry , being paranoid of what I can eat is tough. ...

I could handle the breakouts if my skin woudl heal like it use to, even a year ago my scars woudl fade in days, now I have aome scarring form acne a month ago that is still there, jsut as red, that is the main difference I'm notcing. MY diet is the same, as last year, I dont see how in only a few months my skin woudl start to heal slower, the whole thing is beginning to really confuse me

Well, it's a struggle interpreting what you are saying, but it sounds like your acne worsened before you started your diet changes 3 weeks ago? And the increased breakouts and inflammation and slower healing started at least a month ago?

You also didn't mention much in the way of nutrient dense veggies unless these are much better than average salads and soups. Do you make it? Because the salads at many chain restaurants are notorious for being the worse things on the menu, just as an example. And if it's mostly iceburg lettuce, it has no value.

And don't drink just plain water if it's going to make you binge. Drink tea, water with lemon, even water with a splash of grape juice...

Also, food sensitivities can start at any time. Especially in time of stress or any other situation that causes you to have poor digestion. Like maybe consuming massive amounts of something you've had an intolerance for without knowing, like the other poster who started chugging milk. Or binge eating as a habit.

Have you tried avoiding gluten? Gluten intolerance is especially problematic because it damages the intestinal lining letting undigested food particles get into the blood stream leading to more allergies.

What about probiotics? Digestive Enzymes? Chew your food well? Avoid overeating?

Late last year is when i got a couepl big zits out of nowhere, but i got the flu/cold so i assumed it was jsut my imune system weakened cause that alwasy happened when i woudl get sick, I woudl normally get a few zits but they were gone within a week, scarring adn everything. That was at the beginning of December. hose zits went away completely but a coupel weeks later i got this big zitabove my lip but closer to my nose by my cheek, it was really red, quite painful and ti went away and the another one came right under it, then it went away, then they came back, red and inflamed but they woudl slowly go away ina few days but left some redness, this happened for a few weeks, every few days id get one there and they wodul be extremely painful, felt liek i had a headache for hours then id wake up with big zits. Those slowly went away but then i got one a bit higher up, beside my nose inbetween the bottom of my nose and my cheeck, in the worst spot, thast wher emy face or skin creases, the smile like, it was all big and red, now my problem is, those red marks arent goign away, there raised red bumps, i got a couple more of them days later and those are still quite red as well. This is what I don't understand. How coudl my acne get out of control like this all of a sudden, I hadnt changed my diet at the time, I hadn't done anything differently. How coudl one stressfull weak change my acne months down the line? I take every single vitamin now, i sleep 8 hours, i do dep breathing, i work out. I want to try a liver or colon cleanse but not if it's not gonna help. Maybe there's a chance my hormones changed over night and became unbalanced but how is that possible? How can my skin be fine fine fine boom bad, all in a couple days?. I tried the lemon juice with a cotton ball before bed every night for over 3 weeks and nothing, if anythign it got worse but that coudl have been a coinsidense as well. I have baking soda but I'm paranoid to use it, my skin is EXTREMELY sensitive, even 2% salycilic acid cause those worst redness I ever had, skin was red for an hour, burned and stung like crazy. I also have skin type 1, can't tan, only burn so I get paranoid to try all these home remedies. I did however buy some extra virgin olive oil and might give that a go but so many ppl on here are reporting that there redmarks are still the same, that's what I'm concerned withthe most right now, my skin isn';t healing like it once did. Acne is leaving red bumps and it never use to do that, that's what I'm confused about acne didnt btoher me before cause it would go away and leave no sign of it, now it looks like it's still there weeks at a time. Teh red bumps on my fae are still there, never in 29 years idd I have a zit last soo long, maybe its in the healing process but why woudl my skin change all of a sudden?

This is what I don't understand. How coudl my acne get out of control like this all of a sudden, I hadnt changed my diet at the time, I hadn't done anything differently. How coudl one stressfull weak change my acne months down the line? ...

maybe its in the healing process but why woudl my skin change all of a sudden?

Because you could have developed a food intolerance you didn't have before. And it sounds like you have increased inflammation causing more inflamed acne and leaving redmarks. If you have this while reducing the most inflammatory foods which are sugars and refined carbs and hydrogenated/trans fats and getting anti-inflammatory nutrients as supplements (since you don't seem to be eating many), then I'd say it's likely you have a food intolerance/allergy.

You could also have poor functioning adrenals from your former lousy diet/habits plus stressful week that hasn't had time to heal recover yet. Because it takes more than a few weeks.

So what exactly woudl you recommend that I eat more of? Kepe in mind I'm having a really hard time being so damn strict on this diet. It's been 4 months now so thats what I don't get, even if it was adrenals, things shoudl be back to normal by now you would think. I cut out dairy and bread (yeast), even though I'm craving some milk, ceral, especially some Mcdonalds. I do take alot of vitamins, do you recommend anything specific for inflamation, green tea maybe? I've heard alot about that stuff, I don't think I'm gonan enjoyit muhc at al but willing ot try it. What else helps the inflmation and redness? Would you recommend a colon or liver cleanse?, maybe to balance my system out or clean it first? I'll listen to pretty muhc anything at this point

I'm confused. It's been 4 months now? Your first post from less than a week ago, says it's been a few weeks. And I thought you said you've been eating bread. If you haven't tried avoiding gluten/wheat, it's a good one to try.

Lots of 'what to eat' discussion threads: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2356573 And lists of foods people rarely have an intolerance to.

I also recommend you try making Green smoothies if you don't like eating vegetables: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FABULOUS-...-G-t108917.html Dark greens are high in sulfur which is anti-inflammatory plus used by the body to make things needed for the liver, adrenals, health and thus, acne.

Yes, green tea is anti-inflammatory. Almost every colorful, dark or bright, flavorful plant food, herb, spice and tea are very anti-inflammatory. Things high in vitamin C, beta carotene, A, E, sulfur, zinc. Also, fatty fish such as salmon or sardines. Good things for inflammation

I've never done or looked into any such cleanses. Do a search for discussion to see how they work out for others.

My acne started getting bad 4 months ago, its been a few weeks since I eliminated some foods from my diet. Ive also been taking zinc since december but it hasn't helped whatsoever. I'll try darker greens, do you mean dark green letuce, green peppers, etc? anythign green? I'll look for osme green tea as well. I stopped eating bread , I'll kepe it up fo ra bti longer, see who things go

Alternativista,

Did dietary changes stop all your acne? I'm a little bit skeptical that changes in my diet will decrease my acne break outs - I never had a terribly unhealthy diet - but I have eaten whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted these past few years, and I've never had an issue with acne. I would eat lots of dairy, have lots of carbs / wheat / cluten - healthy foods, but a lot of 'acne-causing foods'. But now, at the age of 25, I've been getting break outs on my face, in places I never had pimples before!

After trying a bunch of antibiotics and topical creams, I decided to take a more 'natural' approach to my acne by changing my diet - kind of. Dietary change include no dairy, no chocolate, no fried greasy foods and no sweets. And when I mean 'no', i mean decreased amounts. I'll eat foods with a little bit of dairy, like a protein bar with some dairy-based shell - but I won't have a salad with lots of cheese, or pasta with cheese. Do I have to completely cut out all these 'acne-causing foods"?

ALso, what are some other 'acne-causing foods'? When you say gluten, what does that include? It seems wheat, gluten and dairy include many of the foods I love to eat - what does that leave me with? What does your diet consist of ? On an average day, what do your meals consist of?

I'm confused. It's been 4 months now? Your first post from less than a week ago, says it's been a few weeks. And I thought you said you've been eating bread. If you haven't tried avoiding gluten/wheat, it's a good one to try.

Lots of 'what to eat' discussion threads: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2356573 And lists of foods people rarely have an intolerance to.

I also recommend you try making Green smoothies if you don't like eating vegetables: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FABULOUS-...-G-t108917.html Dark greens are high in sulfur which is anti-inflammatory plus used by the body to make things needed for the liver, adrenals, health and thus, acne.

Yes, green tea is anti-inflammatory. Almost every colorful, dark or bright, flavorful plant food, herb, spice and tea are very anti-inflammatory. Things high in vitamin C, beta carotene, A, E, sulfur, zinc. Also, fatty fish such as salmon or sardines. Good things for inflammation

I've never done or looked into any such cleanses. Do a search for discussion to see how they work out for others.

If diet was such a major contributor to acne, then wouldn't we have had horrible acne for the last couple years? If you woudl have seen my diet last year, then I shoudl have been a pizza face. Last year I ate mcdonalds everyday for lunch, I had alot of dairy every morning, milk fo rdiner, milk at night, sugar, anything and everything but yet my skin was fine. SO if diet caused acne as much as everyone claims then it should ahva ebeen bad then, diet shouldnt cause acne to be bad bad a year down the road, that doesnt make sense. tahts what I don't get. But yet nobody ever try's to explain that. They say cut out dairy, cut out sugar, cut out yeast, etc but I didn't do that for 28 years and my acne was completely controllable, now all of a sudden I'm suppose to starve myself of the foods I enjoy? I woke up this morning with a sore zit on my right side and I havent drank a glass of milk in 3 weeks, I had a couepl cookies a few days ago and piece of pie but comon, thats such a small amount, especially compare to how I use to eat. I read contently to every single worse of advice on hear, all i want to kow is the how part, ppl say well sugar increases sebrum prpduction, well who is saying this? How do you kow this for certain? Last year I ate more sugar in my life than I ever did and my acne was completely fine. Mayb eI have my system so clogge dup form the years of a poor diet, but shodul that cause breakouts in areas I never had before? I keep getting them in teh same area, but yet i rarely every get one on the left side of my face, ever, it's alwasy been relatively clear, but my right side, especially by my nose, get's 90% of all my acne, I'v never understood that either. I know nobody hear is a doctor and I also understand becasue of that, everything here is a theory, and don't ge tme wrong I love to read abotu what helps one person and what might help the other and I make a strong attempt at doing what hey do to help control my situation but how these food make acne worse, I jsut don't get it. My acne shodul have been out of control for the last 29 years, not just 4 months :(

My acne started getting bad 4 months ago, its been a few weeks since I eliminated some foods from my diet. Ive also been taking zinc since december but it hasn't helped whatsoever. I'll try darker greens, do you mean dark green letuce, green peppers, etc? anythign green? I'll look for osme green tea as well. I stopped eating bread , I'll kepe it up fo ra bti longer, see who things go

Dark lettuces like Romaine, spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli. If you don't like to eat these things, look into the smoothies. You can easily make them with bagged baby spinach and frozen fruit. And try to make your salads with these darker greens.

Do you cook at all? Make stir fries. Keep bags of frozen greens on hand to throw into stir fries and soups.

Alternativista,

Did dietary changes stop all your acne? I'm a little bit skeptical that changes in my diet will decrease my acne break outs - I never had a terribly unhealthy diet - but I have eaten whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted these past few years, and I've never had an issue with acne. I would eat lots of dairy, have lots of carbs / wheat / cluten - healthy foods, but a lot of 'acne-causing foods'. But now, at the age of 25, I've been getting break outs on my face, in places I never had pimples before! ...

ALso, what are some other 'acne-causing foods'? When you say gluten, what does that include? It seems wheat, gluten and dairy include many of the foods I love to eat - what does that leave me with? What does your diet consist of ? On an average day, what do your meals consist of?

For the most part, Acne causing foods only cause acne if you have some kind of intolerance for them. But a steady diet of crappy, processed, nutrient void foods high in sugar and bad fats and lack of exercise and sleep leads to poor blood sugar metabolism, liver function, adrenal function, poor digestion, inflammation, body fat, etc, which leads to hormone imbalances which leads to oily skin, hyperkeratinization and acne. You can have some of the above or all of the above. Your body can deal with crap for a while, but eventually, you are going to have problems, like acne, diabetes, heart disease, accelerated aging and age related conditions, all the metabolic disorders...

I'm not an expert on gluten, as it's not a problem for me. But it is extremely common for people to be intolerant and it probably causes the most severe problems like IBS that leads to other allergies that might go away after you heal it. Some people develop a disease called Celiac disease. Anyway it's in wheat and several other grains. It's the thing that makes bread dough nice and elastic. And it's added to all kinds of processed foods. The easiest way to avoid is to try to make all your meals consist of meat, fish, eggs, fruits and veggies, and gluten free grains and grainlike things like rice and quinoa.

Dairy is a problem for a number reasons from inability to digest, to very common allergy, to containing IGF1 which stimulates hormones as well as affecting hyperkeratinization. Which means you have sticky cells that clog pores rather then get exfoliated properly. This tendency is genetic, btw. One of the ways we are genetically predisposed to getting acne. According to tests, I am allergic to cow dairy, but it doesn't cause any reaction that I can tell. I avoided it for over a month without noticing anything. Still I limit it. I mostly have yogurt and a little cheese. I do have a problem with keratosis pillaris, another skin condition caused by hyperkeratinization.

And yes, my diet changes cleared me in less than 2 months. I have had a rare pimple or two over the last three years since my diet changes cleared my formerly severe acne. But I also have rosacea, which the diet helped as well. My skin is never red anymore. I just get a few small red spots once in a while that could be rosacea, could be acne.

My diet is not strict, I just make it mostly real, nutrient dense foods. Most days, I only eat well. The only thing I'm strict about is never drinking sugar. The thing is, eating like this can heal conditions you never knew you had and prevent development of conditions you don't even know you were going to get. And it's anti-aging and helps with all kinds of hormone related issues like PMS, menopause, enlarged prostrate and male pattern baldness.

As for my daily diet, I eat semi-vegetarian. I don't particularly like meat, and never cook it myself. So I mostly eat vegetarian meals and salmon and other fish or shrimp. Occasionally I buy some sausage, because I do like that. I cook legumes with a lot of onion, garlic, maybe sausage and add greens like frozen collards or spinach, and a lot of spices which are very anti-inflammatory. Like lentils with curry. I also make stir fries with lots of garlic, onion, ginger, broccoli, greens, etc. And have over quinoa. I'm a big fan of big, one pot dishes. And I don't like to cook daily, so usually make enough to have a few meals and freeze some as well. And make soups. You know that popular potato, sausage and kale soup at Olive Garden? I love it. Well, I make that but with kidney beans instead of potato. It's really good.

I also use my broiler to broil fish and assorted fresh and frozen veggies and fruit. You can do it together on one pan and it's done in less than 10 minutes. For breakfast, I eat steamed or baked sweet potatoes or a baked apple and oatmeal thing I make to eat all week long. And occasionally some french toast which is my favorite. I make a lot and freeze to have on occasion. Otherwise, I don't keep bread around. There are many meal suggestions, recipes, ways to get started, nutrient source, determining intolerances through elimination diets and other info here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

I see what your saying about diet catching up to you, makes sense. but how do I reverse it? How do I balance my hormones out? How do I fix the adrenal problem if that is an issue?. DO i have to eat perfect of ra few more months before it starts to improve?

I see what your saying about diet catching up to you, makes sense. but how do I reverse it? How do I balance my hormones out? How do I fix the adrenal problem if that is an issue?. DO i have to eat perfect of ra few more months before it starts to improve?

You eat very well, sleep well, and be active daily.

Jillian Michaels from Biggest Loser has a book out on diet and how it affects hormones and metabolism. Even names acne as a related condition. She's making the rounds of all the talk shows. You can follow her advice if you want. And to think I couldn't stand her. Now I have to give her credit.

Or you can refer to these cliff notes: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...an-t230714.html

Hi,

I am having a similar problem. I have been using proactiv for 3 years now, and my skin has been great up until now. I recently found out i have a parasite, so i have been using a natural herbal remedy to cleanse my body. This has forced me to go on a very healthy diet( nothing crazy, pretty much no processed foods, lots of green veggies, fruits low in sugar, lots of water, fish, etc.) But here is what has happened:

I noticed my skin was getting really dry, so I went off of proactive for like almost 2 days. Then, i started breaking out again, so I went back on. At the same time, my doc gave me two tablets to rid my body of parasite, but this didn't work. At this time I started noticed more red bumps on ONLY my chin area. I was taking more showers than usual at the time, which may have influenced my really dry skin; however, I now only take a shower everyy other day, I am on the natural parasite cleanse, I have an extremely good diet, and NOTHING has changed. I am still getting red pimples after another. I use a lot of BP and this has only made my skin flaky. I started using Jojoba oil, and started yesterday taking Zinc. I have no idea what is going on, my skin has never been then bad.

Not sure if it's the parasite in my body, the cleansing pushing out bacteria through the pores, the diet, hormones, and I am beginning to think the "drink lots of water" theory is making it worse!

Please help, any advice would be appreciated. I really do not know what to do abot it. I really would like to stay away from prescription medication, birth control, accutane, all of that heavy stuff. I feel like something in my body is completely out of wack....because my skin has never reacted in this way before. The flare-ups have been going on for two weeks now.

Thanks!

ALso,

My dry skin is mostly only around my mouth/chin area. Could it be that I have a food allergy?

So the breakouts on the chin is a new thing? Then maybe you have begun eating more or something you have an allergy to. And is the dryness new? Have you reduced the amounts of fats you eat with your new diet? Try drizzling olive oil on your veggies. Are you eating fatty fish like salmon and sardines? Otherwise, the diet sounds good.

What's in the herbal? If fiber is part of it, you do need to drink a lot of water.

alternavistaor whatever is again lol dood, I'm asuming your a man, Ive been eating fuckin pefect bro for weeks and weeks now, salads, greens, water, no sugar, the list goes on, i take all the vitamins, i limit stress, i sleep alot, i cut out dairy, i dont eat yeast or gluten or anything liek that, and my breakouts won't stop, they keep coming back, as soon as one area seem sok, boom, another breakout on that same spot that had a zit weeks before, what do I do at this point? Try tea tree on my skin, acv? what can I do bro?

ALso,

My dry skin is mostly only around my mouth/chin area. Could it be that I have a food allergy?

So the breakouts on the chin is a new thing? Then maybe you have begun eating more or something you have an allergy to. And is the dryness new? Have you reduced the amounts of fats you eat with your new diet? Try drizzling olive oil on your veggies. Are you eating fatty fish like salmon and sardines? Otherwise, the diet sounds good.

What's in the herbal? If fiber is part of it, you do need to drink a lot of water.

yes, the breakouts and dryness are new. It's crazy, because i have severely dry on the chin/jaw area, like peeling, and it is on this area where I have been having my breakouts.

The dryness and breakouts started before i started the cleansing diet and herbal remedy, so i think it must be the parasite?? What do you think??

yes, the breakouts and dryness are new. It's crazy, because i have severely dry on the chin/jaw area, like peeling, and it is on this area where I have been having my breakouts.

The dryness and breakouts started before i started the cleansing diet and herbal remedy, so i think it must be the parasite?? What do you think??

I don't know anything about parasites and what they might do. What kind of parasite? I would try making sure you are getting enough fats and water.

Diet isn't the only part of curing your acne naturally. There are several factors: exercise, sleeping properly, getting sun, having a good mind set.

Changing your diet is only one aspect of clearing yourself naturally and for some people, it's less important than others.

Also, 29 years = 348 months. 348 months of eating bad foods and living a relatively unhealthy life vs 1 month of cutting out all the bad stuff. You can't undo it that fast

Diet isn't the only part of curing your acne naturally. There are several factors: exercise, sleeping properly, getting sun, having a good mind set.

Changing your diet is only one aspect of clearing yourself naturally and for some people, it's less important than others.

Also, 29 years = 348 months. 348 months of eating bad foods and living a relatively unhealthy life vs 1 month of cutting out all the bad stuff. You can't undo it that fast

That's true, except that it is important that everyone improve their diet. Everyone, acne or not. But

Also, if you read his posts, the title of the thread is misleading. His acne did not get worse after improving his diet. His acne got worse months before.

Ok first off I wanna say a lot of anything for you body is harmful including drinking water. Drinking too much water will dilute your stomach acids rendering your body unable to absorb nutrients. There a very common bad habit you see many people do and this is drinking fluids with their meal. You should space the time you eat solids and drink and vice verca about an hour apart if not more. Cutting dairy out of your diet is also unwise unless you plan on taking calcium supplements. The reason your cutting dairy out of your diet if because it makes your sweet greasy unlike when you drink water. Also instead of eating breakfast right away drink a tallglass of oj then wait an hour before eating you want your body to run off the vitamin c and thiamene. Furthermore take acidolphus and hit your local ymcas sauna up so your body can naturaly detoxafy itself. If you ever get horrible results doing the right things to your body question what you are realy doing to your body. I've stuck to a for real healthy dirt and have had awesome result an ontop of that my body is in the best condition its ever been in. Hit the gym EAT RIGHT and cleanse your inards and not only will you lose your acne you will del great

There a very common bad habit you see many people do and this is drinking fluids with their meal.

Heard many times, never found any research to support (in fact, heard one researcher say he didn't see any way it could be relevant). If anybody knows of any research on this point, please share, otherwise I'll keep it in the "Folk Myths About Eating" bin.

My dogs all drink fluids with their meals. I infer it is therefore likely a natural and normal habit among mammals.

Edited by databased

I have found the BEST doctor who specializes in natural acne treatments THAT WORK!!...as well as nutrition/skincare/anti-aging!! Her name is Dr. Fradin-Read at LifeSpan Santa Monica. Her treatment works amazingly well and quick at clearing up acne!! Dr. Fradin-Read is the BEST skin/body doctor around!!! :)