Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XYZ1

Use-by date of Accutane pills was "02-2009" - Risky to take them?

Hi,

I had a low dose Accutane treatment 2,5 years ago with 1x10mg pill per day (~160 pills in total) for round about 5-6 months with very good results.

I must say that I had/have a mild acne, but this already for more than 10 years so my derm agreed to try Accutane.

Now I realized that the pimples are coming back and had another appointment at the derm.

I was asking if he can prescribe me accutane again, and yes he did. But only 1 package (contains 60x10mg pills).

The reason was that on the day I had the appointment my skin was much better than the week before I scheduled the appointment.

I still have ~20 pills of my initial treatment at home.

But according to the packaging the use-by date is "02-2009" (=end of February).

Now it's 4 weeks after the use-by date.

Do you think it will be OK to still use them?

Or is it risky? If yes what are the risks?

Or is the only "risk" that maybe they will not work anymore because they expired?

As far as I know Accutane contains the following ingredients:

Active Ingredient: Isotretinoin

Inactive Ingredients: beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

THX