Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amentola33

13 year old Strarting accutant today, wish me luck!!

Hi everyone, i went to the dermatoligst and he said to try it out. so i am taking my first pill tonight.

i am 13 and weigh 180. i am taking 40 mg 2 times a day. i wil be posting every couple of days with my results/ side effects

i hope i dont get anything besides the ordinary dry skin and lips.

wish me luck!!

Hi everyone, i went to the dermatoligst and he said to try it out. so i am taking my first pill tonight.

i am 13 and weigh 180. i am taking 40 mg a day. i wil be posting every couple of days with my results/ side effects

wish me luck!!

Uhm, you are sooo young. Have you tried anything else? You are still growing and this is a powerful and dangerous drug. You may outgrow your acne in time.

I am a little concerned that your derm suggested and prescribed this to you.

i am 13 and weigh 180. i am taking 40 mg a day. i wil be posting every couple of days with my results/ side effects

wish me luck!!

Accutane is consider one of the last resources you can use to treat acne, why going straight to it?

You should first try first other kind of treatments; also take a look at the holistic regimens in this board. You are too young to take such a powerful medicine especially when you are in your growing process. Also consider other dermatologist opinions !!

Good luck, amentola. Please make sure to have good communication with your parents and your dermatologist. Let them know everything you're feeling. It would be good to jot down any concerns and side effects you have to take with you to your next dermatologist appointment. Take care and best wishes.

No I understand. I still believe 15-16 you are mature enough to decide wether to go on Accutane or not. People at that age have to make a whole ton of diffucult decisions anyways, so they've generally had practice. So to speak.

Not at all. 15/16 is still a very young age to be possibly making a life altering decision. People at this age simply cannot comprehend the positives and consequences. Honestly, I believe you aren't really an adult until your early 20's, more so for males.

Iam so happy for you,

I waited until i was 31 to go on it...

Having acne keeps you from being who you want to be at times.

I hope that you clear up fast and never have to deal with this again..

xoxo

No I understand. I still believe 15-16 you are mature enough to decide wether to go on Accutane or not. People at that age have to make a whole ton of diffucult decisions anyways, so they've generally had practice. So to speak.

Not at all. 15/16 is still a very young age to be possibly making a life altering decision. People at this age simply cannot comprehend the positives and consequences. Honestly, I believe you aren't really an adult until your early 20's, more so for males.

i strongly disagree with you on this. one of my very good male friends had such bad acne by the time he was 16, that he couldn't even shave without being in excruciating pain. It would have been life altering had he NOT gone on accutane. He is 18 now and has beautiful skin and does not regret it at all.

My brother was 16 when he went on it. His skin wasn't as bad as my friend, but would have gotten to that point if he had not gone on the medicine. Also, my cousin was a young teenager when he was on the medicine in the early 90s. He is now 30 and has flawless skin.

Being a teenager with terrible acne is more difficult then people realize. While i understand that there are 15/16 year olds who have had a tough time being on the medicine, it has been more beneficial for this age group than it has been destructive.

And a couple of things, for those saying it is a last resort problem, ive been trying things for about a month, my derm prescribed me on 2 antiobiotics, 5 gels, and nothing worked! so i figured i would try. but

WEEK 1-

it has been a weeek, and i have notices a lot of puss filled ones around my mouth (where i typaclly get them)

more on my forehead, which i never get,

and my typical acne near my sideburns.

no side effects, at all.

Well he didn't actually ask whether he's too young to go on accutane. He just said he's 13 and is on accutane. I think there's no point in telling him that he's too young or anything related to that because he's already on it and I doubt it will stop him from continuing the course anyway.

amentola33, you do have a side effect, that is the initial breakout. You are saying that you are getting pus filled acne and on places that you haven't got acne before, that's the IB and its a side effect,

40mg is pretty ok for a 180 pounds male, its not very high but do tell your derm if you have any nasty side effects. I'm guessing you are telling us your height as well because you are happy with it so the side effect of stunting growth won't be affecting you much.

Last of all, what some them said are true, because you took it at a young age, you might need to take it again later some time because the remission stopped. Not many who took accutane are lucky to get cured, some goes into remission for years before acne returns. Most people take it at about 18 because hopefully it will enable them to go into remission long enough till their body itself takes control and no longer have acne which is about 25(unless it adult acne).

I wish you good luck!

So many opinions. But the choice is yours. To add some support, two of my male cousins went on accutane as young teenagers, 15, and they now have baby smooth skin. Acne can change your life. So, I am glad you are seeking some relief. Good luck, and know the road might be a rough one, but hang in there!!

First off, i never asked if i was too young, my dermatologist said it was a good idea. and i was on erythomycilin for a year, and it no longer works. and i have tried over 5 prescribed gels and all burned my skin within a month, so i used each for a month, not all in a month FTR.

but,

i am really starting to get dry skin and lips, went out and bought some vaseline and cetaphil for my skin. it is working.

my IB is getting better, and getting more toward how it was in the begining. hopefully it gets better. and i found out that i am taking 2 40 mg pills a day.

but something to note- idk if this is weird, but everyday i scratch my eyebrows and it seems that a more than normal ammount of eyebrows are falling?

Good luck amentola33,hope it works,

for the falling eyebrows , i am facing the same..so don't worry,accutane dries all

Hey, y'all!

Amentola, I wish you good luck, and if it works, you better tell me!!! (I am also 13). I feel a little shy to ask about getting that stuff from a doctor, cause I went once and they kinda suggested that I was being a bit overdramatic and my acne wasn't 'serious'. Whatever. Any acne is serious, right? Just because its not completely over my face, its clearly not just one or two pimples like other kids.

Guys, if his doctor said he could use it, then I guess he can. Yeah, there will be side effects but this has been taken into consideration I am sure. The doctor doesn't want to be, like, sued by this kid's mom or something. So its fine.

Good luck on your course Amentola and I am going to guess here and say that you have come to find all the accutane haters on the boards, :lol: Everyone is going to be giving you their opinion on what they think of your skin, and how your too young etc... just keep in mind a licensed professional wrote that prescription for you so I am sure they have your best intentions in mind. Keep your chin up and like Siava had mentioned before keep a close eye on any feelings that are out of the ordinary for you. I wish I had gone or even known about Accutane when I was 13, I did not take a course until I was 26 years old and let me tell ya I am super glad I did. My skin is really nice now! Please feel free to message me if you are needing some emotional support. Good luck!

Good luck on your course Amentola and I am going to guess here and say that you have come to find all the accutane haters on the boards, :lol: Everyone is going to be giving you their opinion on what they think of your skin, and how your too young etc... just keep in mind a licensed professional wrote that prescription for you so I am sure they have your best intentions in mind. Keep your chin up and like Siava had mentioned before keep a close eye on any feelings that are out of the ordinary for you. I wish I had gone or even known about Accutane when I was 13, I did not take a course until I was 26 years old and let me tell ya I am super glad I did. My skin is really nice now! Please feel free to message me if you are needing some emotional support. Good luck!

Thank you!!

and btw i dont think anyone is being disrepctful! lol, i actually enjoy reading wut ppl have to say. so dont be afraid to say what you actually feel. it is fine by me!

thanks to all

Hey i wouldnt worry A TON about accutane. yes its strong and serious

but i DEFENTLY wish i would have started accutane earlier then 17.. ive spent so much time being self conscoius and embarassed having acne.

And (i think) ur starting it before u get to high school

tahts amazing becuz u get to start everything new once u get into high school.

Hey i wouldnt worry A TON about accutane. yes its strong and serious

but i DEFENTLY wish i would have started accutane earlier then 17.. ive spent so much time being self conscoius and embarassed having acne.

And (i think) ur starting it before u get to high school

tahts amazing becuz u get to start everything new once u get into high school.

I agree with you tbh. It has its risks but I wish, i'd taken it earlier than now. After a few months i'm far more confident :D Though i'd reccomend to the OP that they stop taking if it becomes too much for them.

Hey man I just read your post on my log,

I'm glad to hear you've started your accutane journey. As long as your prepared for the ups and downs, it is all completely worth it in the end. I've been off the tane for about a month now and I'm doing great...the side effects (chapped lips, dry skin, back pain) have all subsided back to normal. My hair even has a little (good, natural) oil in it (was extremely dry during treatment).

I wouldn't worry about all the people warning you about how "dangerous" this drug is. I guarantee 90% of these people have never actually taken it and have no idea what they're talking about. Yes it comes with risks..but those very severe ones (depression, moodswings, etc.) have about a 2% chance of occuring (a lot of people don't understand that). Plus I'm sure you've done plenty of talking with your derm and parents about what your starting so dont be put off by whatever these people tell you.

I am a 14 year old accutane success story. Anyone that says your too young is crazy.

Best of luck, and if you need any help/advice feel free to ask

It was known decades before Accutane was released onto the market that vitamin A toxicity can cause premature growth plate closure in children and adolescents......13 is way to young

Hey, y'all!

Amentola, I wish you good luck, and if it works, you better tell me!!! (I am also 13). I feel a little shy to ask about getting that stuff from a doctor, cause I went once and they kinda suggested that I was being a bit overdramatic and my acne wasn't 'serious'. Whatever. Any acne is serious, right? Just because its not completely over my face, its clearly not just one or two pimples like other kids.

Guys, if his doctor said he could use it, then I guess he can. Yeah, there will be side effects but this has been taken into consideration I am sure. The doctor doesn't want to be, like, sued by this kid's mom or something. So its fine.

If u live in the U.S. you sign a papers, so if you get permanent sides there is no suing ur doctor. So really the doctor doesn't worry to much about that anymore.

Oh, right. Well, still, the doctor still wants what is best so its okey-doke.

There are side effects with everything!! Like, did you know that if you put two mobile phones on either side of an egg and call them both at exactly the same time, the radiation produced is enough to boil the egg? So, yeah..DOWN WITH CELLPHONES!! Lol. :P Joking. I <3 my iphone. :P

And, guys, consider: maybe if he doesn't take accutane he'll get even more acne and get depressed and start taking REAL drugs (like, illegal ones) and, well, think of the side effects and strength of THEM, eh?

Hey man I just read your post on my log,

I'm glad to hear you've started your accutane journey. As long as your prepared for the ups and downs, it is all completely worth it in the end. I've been off the tane for about a month now and I'm doing great...the side effects (chapped lips, dry skin, back pain) have all subsided back to normal. My hair even has a little (good, natural) oil in it (was extremely dry during treatment).

I wouldn't worry about all the people warning you about how "dangerous" this drug is. I guarantee 90% of these people have never actually taken it and have no idea what they're talking about. Yes it comes with risks..but those very severe ones (depression, moodswings, etc.) have about a 2% chance of occuring (a lot of people don't understand that). Plus I'm sure you've done plenty of talking with your derm and parents about what your starting so dont be put off by whatever these people tell you.

I am a 14 year old accutane success story. Anyone that says your too young is crazy.

Best of luck, and if you need any help/advice feel free to ask

It is things that are said like above that scare me when young people take this drug.

I would have to say that yes probably every person that has posted in this thread has taken accutane. I think we all know what we are talking about. They are documented facts. We are just looking out for the orginal poster.

chocoteddy0- I know that all drugs can cause something. Not all are as dangerous though as Accutane. Doesn't mean that u or the op will end up with permanent damage, but it can and has happened.

Remember doctors aren't always in it for the patients best intrests.

To the orginal poster, even though I feel your to young for such a dangerous drug, I do wish u good luck. Please listen to your body and let ur parents and derm know if you feel anything isn't right. if this was to be ur log, u may want to start one in the accutane log section.