Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adamrodriguez

Remember back in the day...

Back in the day there was not such a large population of acne suffers.. why? Because there was no marketing for skin disorder treatments because alot of people were traditional in their hygene and used tallow soap to clean their faces and body.

Where im getting at is, topicals are useless, any and all acne treatments are useless, all cleansers, exfoliatiors, astringents, etc. are useless and probably are the very cause for such a large population of people with acne problems. Im not trying to get someone on a "regimine" im just saying if you want the answer to clean complexions, look at the past.. and i mean the very very very basics of hygene. "wash behind your ears, wash your face with soap, dont forget the armpits," etc. It couldnt be simpler really.

I just wish everyone would stop with all these goddamn things, i wish there was a school education thing that taught people the proper way to stay clean and acne-free.. not sell them some bullshit proactive or DKR bullcrap regimines.

*rant over*

How old are you that you can say 'back in the day?' I think you're at least 20 years younger than I. Back in 'my day' people had acne. I even grew up not in the USA. So there goes your theory.

True. For the most part. Loads of people including myself, activate their acne from some shitty cleansing series they bought because of 1 or 2 marks in their faces. But after having destroyed your face, you can't just stop using anything and your face will heal, it takes such a long time, and for that the dkr is actually good. I actually have the theory that people who suffer from very late adult acne is that they have used soooooo many different topicals, used them for a week then they get an initial breakout for example and switch to a different topical, meaning they have destroyed their skin so badly and really broken down the normal resistans in the skin to the point where its almost impossible to build up again.

Adam I don't support most topicals, but I do support the DKR using it myself at 3+ weeks atm. I hate every freakin comment you make about it. The DKR doesn't destroy the skin if it is followed to the exact. The regimen is about being really gentle, and it realy is effectful! Why do you have a mission to break down daniel kern's regimen? You are just a selfish moron spending your time discouraging a lot of people on a forum because it didn't work out for yourself, and for that I pity you.

How old are you that you can say 'back in the day?' I think you're at least 20 years younger than I. Back in 'my day' people had acne. I even grew up not in the USA. So there goes your theory.

i can see old movies of family members when they were kids, etc.

Another brilliant post by adamrodrigue. You sound like George W. Bush spewing that whole "trust your gut, not the facts" ideology.

Yes I'm sure if people just washed behind the ears with Tallow Soap it would all go away. lulz

Another brilliant post by adamrodrigue. You sound like George W. Bush spewing that whole "trust your gut, not the facts" ideology.

Yes I'm sure if people just washed behind the ears with Tallow Soap it would all go away. lulz

It probably would go away if we just followed what our ancestors did and if we were smart enough not to buy into bullcrap "treatments" and fall for the snake-oil that dan sells. Which is no better than proactive and alot people know that crap is no good.

Dan's Regimen didn't work for me, but I'm not quick to dismiss the possibly that it works for others. It is a fact that Benzoyl Peroxide is a proven successful treatment against acne.

Ancient Rome: bathing in hot, and often sulfurous, mineral water was one of the few available acne treatments. One of the earliest texts to mention skin problems is De Medicina by the Roman writer Celsus.

Just sayin.

Hi, So true topicals acne meds in my personal experience are not the answer to clear skin. There maybe is a few things out there that are good for the skin that contain natural ingredients and not any harsh chemicals. I've been guilty and impatient when I was younger to try so many things in the hope that my acne will be gone. Maybe the water we use to wash are faces isn't good for our skin. Is there anyone out there who only bathes in spring water and only eat foods that they grow. How's your skin. :angel:

Just so you know, hygiene isn't the only factor that causes acne. Pollution, hormones, climate.. there are a lot of things that can contribute to acne. The climate and pollution rates have changed from "back then" to now.

And yes, people did have acne "back then"'

Also: I used to just wash with facial soap (pears soap glycerin bar) and I got acne. There goes your theory.

Really? What country are you from Wynne :)

Yeah, what do you mean back in the day? We are only in our mid twenties!

Hygiene is not the main cause of acne and you know that. Why did you make this thread?

Acne problems are definitely not just a problem of modern times. The article below highlight acne treatments over the centuries and you'll notice that the term "acne" comes from the ancient (as in not modern) greeks... Looks to me like people have been trying to treat it with topicals for quite some time now. So, that would discount the theory that today's acne problems are due to the fact that we treat it with medications and topicals now.

History Of Acne Treatments:

Acne has been around since the beginning of human existence. Acne problems have been recorded clear back to the pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, and the actual word 'acne' is derived from Ancient Greek and means 'point' or 'peak'.

Over the years many different treatments were developed and tried to treat acne problems. Some of these treatments are still used today, while others have proven to be less than effective.

Here is a short timeline of acne treatments that have been recorded:

• Ancient Rome: Acne sufferers would bathing in hot, and often sulfurous, mineral water to treat their acne. One of the earliest texts to mention skin problems is De Medicina by the Roman writer Celsus.

• 1800s: Nineteenth century dermatologists used sulphur for the treatment of acne. It was believed that the sulphur would dry the skin.

• 1920s: Benzoyl Peroxide was used to treat acne due to it's anti bacterial properties.

• 1930s: laxatives were used as a cure for what were known as 'chastity pimples'.

• 1950s: The use of antibiotics was found to have beneficial effects on the severity of acne. At first they were taken orally, and eventually became available in topical solutions.

• 1960s: Vitamin A acid and Retin A were found to be effective at clearing up acne.

• 1980s: Isotretinion was developed and sold as Accutane and Roaccutane. These are still considered a controversial due to the potential side effects.

• 1990s: Laser treatment introduced

• 2000s: blue/red light therapy

Anyone who is ignorant enough to lump all topicals together is not worth listening to. There is an enormous range of products available. Some are crap. Some are excellent treatments. The key is to understand your skin and what works for YOU PERSONALLY.

Oh, and regarding that little gem of advice about washing your face with soap? Soap is highly alkaline. If you are using it on your face, you are damaging your skin's acid mantle -- the protective layer that keeps bacteria out and moisture in. Very, very bad idea. No one with acne-prone skin should EVER use an alkaline cleanser on their face.

I curious about that benzoyl peroxide being used in the 1920's; i don't remember anything being reported about it until maybe 1975. At first, all we had was this sulfur based product from clearasil. It was more of a cover-up than anything effective. Then, oxy-5 and Oxy-10 (eventually) became available in the mid/late-70's. I remember a talk show that had an episode about benzoyl peroxide being the miracle treatment of the age back in the late-70's/ early-80's. So, I am puzzled about its early existence.

I expect some people are getting that info from the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzoyl_peroxide

Personally, I think it's pretty irrelevant. The OP is obviously very poorly informed about acne products.

Gram-negative Folliculitis. Here Is this what you have? You say in your signature you underwent an intense treatment with antibiotics. How long was the treatment, what were you taking and what dosage?

I've only been on Minocycline a little over a week and the results are AMAZING (I still have 4 months left), but I'm a little worried about this Folliculitis talk.

Thanks.

No, I don't have bacterial folliculitis .... I have fungal folliculitis. It's been tested.

I can't remember exactly what the drug was called (this was nearly 2 years ago). It was a dual antibiotic for 3 weeks, for a kidney infection.

I curious about that benzoyl peroxide being used in the 1920's; i don't remember anything being reported about it until maybe 1975. At first, all we had was this sulfur based product from clearasil. It was more of a cover-up than anything effective. Then, oxy-5 and Oxy-10 (eventually) became available in the mid/late-70's. I remember a talk show that had an episode about benzoyl peroxide being the miracle treatment of the age back in the late-70's/ early-80's. So, I am puzzled about its early existence.

I think BPO was substanially reformulated in the 1970s to make it a better treatment method for acne. I believe Dr. James Fulton (who also co-developed Retin-A gel) was one of the doctors who developed the new formulation that is still being used today. I'll see if I can find more info on its earlier use.

I think BPO was substanially reformulated in the 1970s to make it a better treatment method for acne. I believe Dr. James Fulton (who also co-developed Retin-A gel) was one of the doctors who developed the new formulation that is still being used today. I'll see if I can find more info on its earlier use.

Not sure what "day" you are talking about, but my Dad is 69, and according to him and also my mother, he had horrible acne on his face, upper chest, and shoulders. Being a teenager in the 1950s, radiation therapy was the new "cure" for acne. He had numerous radiation treatments on his acne affected areas, and his doctor (remember...1050's) told him to get as much sun as he could to "dry up" his blemishes. My dad is fair-skinned and freckled, but did what the doctor told him and burnt himself to a crisp every summer.

Now....50 years later, he has had over 30 skin cancers removed from his body....all have been basal cell carcinoma, and thankfully not malignant melanoma. No one is sure if the cancer came from sun exposure, the radiation treatments, or being exposed to Agent Orange & who knows what else while serving in Viet Nam. One thing is sure....the only places he's had the cancerous lesions are the areas that were radiation-treated.

Anyway.....acne existed back in his day. This I know for sure.

Radiation therapy for acne? Wow.

Yeah, in Dr. Fulton's book he talks about getting radiation therapy for his acne. My dad and my aunt, who are in their 70s, also talked about the weird treatments they got for their acne too. They were seeing derms when they were in their late 20's/early 30s. So much for adult acne being a modern phenomenon!

Not sure what "day" you are talking about, but my Dad is 69, and according to him and also my mother, he had horrible acne on his face, upper chest, and shoulders. Being a teenager in the 1950s, radiation therapy was the new "cure" for acne. He had numerous radiation treatments on his acne affected areas, and his doctor (remember...1050's) told him to get as much sun as he could to "dry up" his blemishes. My dad is fair-skinned and freckled, but did what the doctor told him and burnt himself to a crisp every summer.

Now....50 years later, he has had over 30 skin cancers removed from his body....all have been basal cell carcinoma, and thankfully not malignant melanoma. No one is sure if the cancer came from sun exposure, the radiation treatments, or being exposed to Agent Orange & who knows what else while serving in Viet Nam. One thing is sure....the only places he's had the cancerous lesions are the areas that were radiation-treated.

Anyway.....acne existed back in his day. This I know for sure.

I can totally relate to this... First, thanks for clearing up the BP confusion. Now I realize why old ideas come back with a new twist.

Well, my acne seems to have come from my dad's side.. He, too, underwent x-ray treatments, which were followed by some desquamating acid compound. That is, as you have said, the miracle treatment cure for acne then in the 1950's. He had sever nodulocystic acne. Later in life, my dad underwent surgery for a lump on his thyroid. Luckily, it was not cancerous. yeah, back then they did not know of the dangers. It stopped the acne completely by destroying a great part of the oil glands activity. So, now we can relate to changes of the industry at the expense of the patients health and well-being. I wonder what folks in the distant future will consider the idea of accutane use of today.