Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First post here although I’ve lurked on the boards for a while looking for advice and help with this, 21 now had it since I was about 12 maybe 13. Since then I’ve tried dan’s benzoyle peroxide, a different peroxide based wash from the doctors (which is way to drying at 10%) about 4 course of anti biotics as well as external anti biotic lotions etc, topic creams, differin gel, changing my diet and going through stages of leaving certain food groups out just to see if they made a difference.

Different face scrubs using no scrubs and gentler face washes AHA’s, BHA’S (Paula’s choice), emu oil, joba oil, vitamins, the vitamin e and a based creams and washes, salt washes, face steaming, pore strips and of course drinking loads of water and eating enough fruit and veg.

I first went to the doctors about it almost 3 years ago and since then I’ve had no improvement, some of these tings have helped to keep it a bit under control but as far as it spreading it has gotten worse now covering my face, shoulders, chest, top of my back and sometimes my neck, what’s worse is that recently I have been getting it on my stomach as well. It could be worse I only get the occasional cyst.

The doctors who have seen me have been far and few between as I normally have to wait about 6 months to be seen by a dermatologist, the last one, when I asked for accutane as I had some minor (short lived) improvement with different gel and thought that the vitamin A based tablet might be able to help me said I wasn’t severe enough and gave me another external antibiotic (Zineryt) which hasn’t had any effect.

That was last year now and I have another appointment coming up next month, I’m almost tempted to stop using benzoyle peroxide just to let it get worse so they might consider me! Because these things have helped and I’m not expecting it all to disappear but it’s just a bit to much to leave it like this.

Do you think i should try to go on accutane or keep trying other things?

post-71112-1238323125_thumb.jpg

post-71112-1238323125_thumb.jpg

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go on Accutane! It works wonders for people with severe acne, but yours I would say is mild-mildly moderate. What I would do is see a good dermatologist- ask around and see who is recommended. Then, see what he/she says to do. Also, get a mild face wash, like something from Neutragena or Clearasil. Then get some Benzoyl Peroxide or salycilic (spelling?) acid. See if that helps.

Thanks for the reply but that was kind of my point, I’ve been using a mild face wash then benzoyle peroxide for a couple of years now and the picture I posted is about as good as my skin gets, that’s it at its most under control yet its still seems to be spreading, so I feel like accutane may be the only way to really "get it". I'll take that in mind thou.