Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ozandangel

Finally free of my adult acne and off the antibiotics!!

Hello everyone! I am a 37 year old female. I started getting adult acne at age 21. I tried everything possible under the sun, seriously, except Accutane because I was not going to risk all the side effects. I tried every possible topical, as well as antibiotics. I even participated in acne studies with my dermatologist for different laser treatments. The only thing that worked for me was, unfortunately, antibiotics (specifically, Bactrim). Well, needless to say I was on antibiotics for about 14 years which is NOT good for you at all. I read every article I could about acne so I could better understand it. One thing that came up in a lot of articles was that B vitamins were essential for skin and I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough of them. So, this is what I did. I started taking a higher dose B complex, a multi, and Evening primrose oil (or Black Currant oil). I have very sensitive skin (part of the reason I could not tolerate most topicals-especially benzyl peroxide) and battle acne plus patches of dry skin. To help control the acne and combat the dry patches, I started using a topical 2% BHA. To wash my face, I switched to the gentle Clinique facial bar. That is it. I weaned myself off the antibiotics and my acne is gone! I have been off the antibiotics for a year and a half now and have been acne free! One thing I notice, if I go several days without taking my B complex, I started to get a pimple or two. Once I get back on it, no issues. My face has not looked this great in years. No fancy, expensive treatments. My dermatologist is impressed. Now I am not saying this is for everyone and I don't know how I "cured" my acne but I am telling you, it is 100% true. FYI, my acne was the cystic kind (ouch!). Can't hurt to try it!

Sounds great, I was on Bactrim myself for approximately 5 years with varied results. I recently tried zinc for a couple months, with again, varied results. I decided to switch to Vitamin D-3, and have been getting some much improved results. The only other thing I changed up was the soap I use, and that's it!

Guest RB from Canada
Hello everyone! I am a 37 year old female. I started getting adult acne at age 21. I tried everything possible under the sun, seriously, except Accutane because I was not going to risk all the side effects. I tried every possible topical, as well as antibiotics. I even participated in acne studies with my dermatologist for different laser treatments. The only thing that worked for me was, unfortunately, antibiotics (specifically, Bactrim). Well, needless to say I was on antibiotics for about 14 years which is NOT good for you at all. I read every article I could about acne so I could better understand it. One thing that came up in a lot of articles was that B vitamins were essential for skin and I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough of them. So, this is what I did. I started taking a higher dose B complex, a multi, and Evening primrose oil (or Black Currant oil). I have very sensitive skin (part of the reason I could not tolerate most topicals-especially benzyl peroxide) and battle acne plus patches of dry skin. To help control the acne and combat the dry patches, I started using a topical 2% BHA. To wash my face, I switched to the gentle Clinique facial bar. That is it. I weaned myself off the antibiotics and my acne is gone! I have been off the antibiotics for a year and a half now and have been acne free! One thing I notice, if I go several days without taking my B complex, I started to get a pimple or two. Once I get back on it, no issues. My face has not looked this great in years. No fancy, expensive treatments. My dermatologist is impressed. Now I am not saying this is for everyone and I don't know how I "cured" my acne but I am telling you, it is 100% true. FYI, my acne was the cystic kind (ouch!). Can't hurt to try it!

Guest RB from Canada

Hello

I am from Toronto and I am 30 years old, everything started 4 months ago. Before that, I had a beautiful olive skin and quite proud of it actually.

At moment, I am taking antibiotics and using Murad products and I don t see big differences. I am desperate and I try to find miracle product.

I don t want to take antibiotics all my life and I do believe that way of life and dietetic could make a difference.

What do you mean by B complex , are there vitamins, complements ? and what s topical 2% BHA? and What s cystic kind? How long did it take from taking B complex for the acne to disappear?

In advance many thanks for your help

RB

What do you mean by B complex , are there vitamins, complements ? and what s topical 2% BHA? and What s cystic kind? How long did it take from taking B complex for the acne to disappear?

RB

B-vitamins. There are many. And they work together or high amounts of some can deplete others. Therefore you take them all together.

BHA is salcylic acid. You were probably using it in the Murad stuff. But some aren't formulated correctly and don't work. Paula's choice is good.

I recommend b-compex, zinc, C and omega 3 such as fish or flax oil. That was what I was taking and it made my skin a lot less oily and my face clear of inflammed acne. But then my diet changes cleared my completely.

Guest RB from Canada

Many Thanks for your quick answer.

About Diet , In which way did you change what you eat ? What do you avoid? How long did it take to clear the acnee? weeks? Months?

I am eating (I think) healthy in the last 3 weeks, just fruits, veg, pasta , lentils, and a lot of bread and margarine . No Meat, No processed snacks (cake, sweets...), and I am loosing weight which worries me a bit (as I don t need to loose weight).

I don t drink milk and I drink only bottle water, what do you think about water ?

And sometimes it is hard for me with food, I am scared to eat something which may trigger more acne. I am bored with the dishes, I don t really what I should prepare, eat and drink.

It is all new for me, I never had any issue with my skin before, every week I have one or 2 more pimples in my face and none are going, it does scare me, that means in 36 week time (6months) I will have 72 acne spots!!!

About Diet , In which way did you change what you eat ? What do you avoid? How long did it take to clear the acnee? weeks? Months?

I am eating (I think) healthy in the last 3 weeks, just fruits, veg, pasta , lentils, and a lot of bread and margarine . No Meat, No processed snacks (cake, sweets...), and I am loosing weight which worries me a bit (as I don t need to loose weight).

I don t drink milk and I drink only bottle water, what do you think about water ?

And sometimes it is hard for me with food, I am scared to eat something which may trigger more acne. I am bored with the dishes, I don t really what I should prepare, eat and drink.

It is all new for me, I never had any issue with my skin before, every week I have one or 2 more pimples in my face and none are going, it does scare me, that means in 36 week time (6months) I will have 72 acne spots!!!

What kind of bread are you eating. Whenever i eat a lot of bread, mainly white, i break out pretty bad. I have never found that meat affects my acne. The only meat that is really bad is processed meat and red meat.

I eat real, nutrient dense foods and avoid processed foods and bad fats. Other than that, what I avoid is specific to me and my food intolerances and not necessarily applicable to you. You have to figure out your own by eliminating foods one by one for several weeks each to see if it makes a difference in you skin or how you feel. Start with wheat/gluten and dairy. These are extremely common issues. Then try egg whites, nuts, peanuts, citrus, nightshades, soy, other grains, other legumes, etc.

Don't eat lots of bread. If it's white bread it's nutritionally void and very high GI. If it's whole grain, it's still fairly high GI, and problematic because whole grain breads are very dense, meaning they'll have tons of carbs. Also you need to try avoiding all wheat for a period to see if you have a gluten intolerance.

And no margarine. No hydrogenated or trans fats. Unless you have determined you are so lactose intolerant or so allergic that you have to avoid all dairy, use butter. If you have to avoid all dairy try olive oil. But it won't be a big deal since you aren't eating much bread anymore.

And water is good. I'd prefer you got a filter to using all those plastic bottles, though.

Guest RB from Canada

What kind of bread are you eating. Whenever i eat a lot of bread, mainly white, i break out pretty bad. I have never found that meat affects my acne. The only meat that is really bad is processed meat and red meat.

I eat brown bread . Should I stop eating bread ??? What will I eat instead? Cereals is it alright ?

What about milk and water ???

so what s your typical diet , What do you have for Breakfast , lunch and diner .

Has your acne completely gone ?

I dont think you have to completely cut out bread. But if bread is causing your acne to get worse, then you should notice a difference by cutting back the amount of bread you eat. If you do have a gluten intolerence, then cereal is not good. Oatmeal would probably be fine. And i would definately avoid cows milk. As far as my diet, i eat an apple and a banana for breakfast. For lunch i eat a salad with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and another apple. For dinner, i am less picky, but i definately avoid any dairy. I ususally have some pasta, veggies, and chicken. I have not cleared my acne yet, but i know it takes some time. But overall i think genetics play a bigger part in my acne than diet.

I dont think you have to completely cut out bread. But if bread is causing your acne to get worse, then you should notice a difference by cutting back the amount of bread you eat. If you do have a gluten intolerence, then cereal is not good. Oatmeal would probably be fine. And i would definately avoid cows milk.

How much you need to avoid bread/wheat/gluten depends on your intolerance to wheat. Some need to cut it out completely along with other gluten containing grains. But for most, its the GL of the meals people eat that bread and grains play such a big part in often several times per day.

For what to eat, read here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

For breakfast, I eat oatmeal and apples, steamed or baked sweet potatoes, yogurt and fruit with a sprinkling of nuts and seeds or eggs. Or sometimes all of the above. Dairy does not cause me to break out. Still, I limit it and don't drink milk. According to tests, I am mildly allergic to cow dairy, as are many people.

Re, the brown bread. Also depends on what makes it brown. Many contain molasses for example. You should not be looking for 'brown bread.' You should be looking for whole grain bread.

Also, most of us have acne because we are genetically predisposed to getting acne. That does not mean diet can not prevent, reduce and even reverse acne just like it can diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. Genetics only account for a relatively small part in your odds on whether you will develop a condition you are genetically at risk for.

Diet doesn't cause acne.

Yes it does. Nutrients are how your body functions.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, cell function and turnover-hyperkeratination, Insulin resistance, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc, etc. And those are all inter-related often with a causal effect and are also affected by environment and lifestyle habits like stress management, sleep and exercise.

And apparently this needs to be repeated:

Most of us have acne because we are genetically predisposed to getting acne. That does not mean diet can not prevent, reduce and even reverse acne just like it can diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. Genetics only account for a relatively small part of your odds on whether you will develop a condition you are genetically at risk for. The rest is your diet and lifestyle.

No it doesn't. You are just some nazi who harps this crap down people's throat.

Congrats on your positive results!

I too suffer from hormonal cystic acne (I'm 39 and have battled it on and off since puberty). I tried Bactrim about 5 years ago. I was only on it for 3 weeks and became very very sick, even hospitalized for a week. Turns out I was allergic to Sulfa in the Bactrim and it gave me toxic hepatitis.

My skin was clear for the entire 3 weeks I was on Bactrim, but obviously had to stop taking it when my liver stopped working! The cysts came back as soon as I stopped taking it.

I guess I have extreme sensitivities to antibiotics, I also got intestinal ulcers and recurrent yeast infections from taking Doxy which killed all the good bacteria in my stomach.

I am currently taking 50mg per day of spironolactone and am 95% clear. For me it's the best option for my hormonal acne since I can't tolerate any other oral meds and the topicals / diet changes do diddly squat for the hormonal cysts.

Everyone is different. Glad you found something that works for you.

*moderator edit*

There's links to studies proving that it does right there in my signature.

And why do you think nutritional supplements help people? By providing nutrients they were supposed to get from food to heal whatever hormonal imbalance or poor organ function they have going on due to poor nutrition and lifestyle habits.

So any B-complex vitamin's all right? I've attached a photo - I'm assuming these are the pills y'all are talking about.

My question is, what do you get in a B-complex tablet that's missing from a multivitamin? Also, are these different from pantothenic acid/B5? I always seem to break out a bit if I take too much of that, which is odd.

Not necessarily anything, other than amounts, but that depends on the multi. I just take a multi now.

B-complex is just important is they are water soluble, needed daily and hard to get. And B6 is anti-androgenic, but you need to take them all together.

If you are looking at Nature Made, you can look for their 'Stress Formula' with B-complex, Zinc, and C in one tablet.

*moderator edit*

There's links to studies proving that it does right there in my signature.

And why do you think nutritional supplements help people? By providing nutrients they were supposed to get from food to heal whatever hormonal imbalance or poor organ function they have going on due to poor nutrition and lifestyle habits.

I'll tell you exactly why it doesn't maybe this will open your mind.

a.) When I have had my clear times, usually during the summer, I changed my eating to a "healthier" style. I cleared up nicely (I've also switched to eating steaks and beer and lots of "bad" stuff and have cleared as well). So at that time I thought "yeah it has to be the diet". I leave out of town and breakout and later during the winter come back home and go "yeah, I should go back on that diet I had during the summer". So I do and guess what? It makes no difference. So therefore, I can conclude that diet plays no role in acne. It's as simple as that.

b.) I used to have acne on my back, I took accutane, I never get acne on my back anymore. My back is like a baby's butt.

Studies aren't the end all facts ok. What kind of education do you have? Do you know how anything in this world works?

RB

B-vitamins. There are many. And they work together or high amounts of some can deplete others. Therefore you take them all together.

BHA is salcylic acid. You were probably using it in the Murad stuff. But some aren't formulated correctly and don't work. Paula's choice is good.

I recommend b-compex, zinc, C and omega 3 such as fish or flax oil. That was what I was taking and it made my skin a lot less oily and my face clear of inflammed acne. But then my diet changes cleared my completely.

I too have added fish oil to my diet and I do use the Paula's Choice 2% BHA. That stuff is inexpensive and works great!

a.) When I have had my clear times, usually during the summer, I changed my eating to a "healthier" style. I cleared up nicely (I've also switched to eating steaks and beer and lots of "bad" stuff and have cleared as well). So at that time I thought "yeah it has to be the diet". I leave out of town and breakout and later during the winter come back home and go "yeah, I should go back on that diet I had during the summer". So I do and guess what? It makes no difference. So therefore, I can conclude that diet plays no role in acne. It's as simple as that.

b.) I used to have acne on my back, I took accutane, I never get acne on my back anymore. My back is like a baby's butt.

Studies aren't the end all facts ok. What kind of education do you have? Do you know how anything in this world works?

LOL. This is one of the funniest responses I've ever gotten. And you are asking me to open my mind!

And yes, I know how many things in this world work. Do you know anything at all about nutrition and healthy lifestyle? From your post, I'm guessing no.

Master's Degree, btw. How about you?

And eating steak isn't going to cause you to breakout.

I think what helped you a lot was the BHA. I've taken a B50 complex with all the bvitamins for 3+ years, and I developed acne when I was still taking them with no changes. When I started to use a BHA toner and cleanser, my cystic acne cleared up, and I am currently 100% clear, with 3 hyperpigmentation marks left from cysts on my chin. I'm not doubting that B vitamins aren't beneficial to my/your/our skin, but I don't think they're effective enough unless MEGA DOSED (which I wouldn't even try) to clear up acne.

LOL. This is one of the funniest responses I've ever gotten. And you are asking me to open my mind!

And yes, I know how many things in this world work. Do you know anything at all about nutrition and healthy lifestyle? From your post, I'm guessing no.

Master's Degree, btw. How about you?

And eating steak isn't going to cause you to breakout.

I do believe that diet affects acne in the sense that we could possibly have some type of food intolerance that we may or may not be aware of. I break out after I eat fresh pineapples, for example, but my allergist let me know that I have sensitivity to some fruit and vegi enzymes in raw veg/fruit. When cooked, I'm fine. In my first year of college, I probably ate fast food 4 times a week (gross, I know), used a BHA cleanser only, and was CRYSTAL clear. I was actually crystal clear my whole life until age 21, and my diet has changed time and time again throughout the years. I'm not a believer that acne is diet related in ALL cases. We're all different, not everyone has the same case or else we'd have a cure already!

What do you have a master's in, by the way, alternativista? Speaking of school, I have an accounting final at 9am tomorrow and I shouldn't even be on the internet. Bye!!! =)

im curious! i just started bactrim (well septra) today

when did u first start noticing results?!?

and was there an initial breakout??!

Regarding how fast I saw results from Bactrim, it is hard to say because I went from Doxycycline to Bactrim. The Doxy wasn't working as well anymore so that is why I switched. I saw a clearing pretty quickly but that might be because it wasn't that bad since I was still on the Doxy.

Remember, being on any antibiotic can cause a lot of yeast issues. I personally never had yeast infections BUT I did get a Candida issues with my stomach. First noticed the symptoms of extreme cravings for bread.

Also, someone mentioned that they don't think the B complex is what helped my acne but I wholeheartedly disagree. I have always had dry skin and hair too and when I went on the B complex, that helped these issues also. I was on the B complex well before I started using the BHA and my acne was already cleared up except an occasional hormonal pimple. I added the BHA to help with the dry patches I occasionally would get, and to see if it would help with the random pimple. It helped with both so I kept with it. Even if I use the BHA but stop the B complex, I will start to break out again. Like I said in my earlier post, I am not saying this will work for everyone but I know it has helped me. I do believe I was deficient in B vitamins, based on my dry skin and hair conditions. I also use to get hives because of my very dry skin and since taking the B complex, I do not anymore.

Because there are different reason why we have acne, a one-size-fits-all approach to dealing with it does not work. Each person needs to experiment to find out what works for them. I offered my program up for anyone to try because I know I tried everything (except Accutane) and wanted to get off of antibiotics. It never hurts to try!