Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
laila4

retin a .025% gel

okay so here is my acne history:

Great clear skin since I was a child. Luminous, yet oily and in all of my pictures where I'm less than 13 years of age my skin looks clear, shiny, and beautiful. But at 13 I started getting little pimples everywhere. This slowly progressed through age 14, 15, and 16. I tried differin at age 15 but it didn't help. Then in Spring of the year I was 16, I tried 100mg minocycline/day, which worked alright. It cleared my skin somewhat but I only used it for 2 months b/c my dad is a doctor and he said it would "kill my liver." Then summer of last year (I was 16) my skin got REALLY clear. Like beautiful. Only a few scars left on my skin, but no new outbreaks. I never had horrible cystic acne i.e. never the type to leave those indented scars that some people ahve. It was always moderate, and the typical "teen acne" that every1 tells me will go away eventually. I begged my parents for birth control (only to help my acne) but they said they didn't want me to put hormones in my body that would affect my growth. So my skin was nice and clear until about Oct. when it started to break out a little. So I went on minocycline 100mg again for about 2 months, which cleared me up great.

But in the winter, my skin usually breaks out like CRAZY. This winter was not that bad until about February, when my skin went crazy. It still isn't major cystic acne, but it is pimples of various shapes/sizes on my cheeks, chin, forehead, etc. I am now 17 and my sister, who is 16, was always faster than me in puberty. Like she got her period a year and a half before I did, she grew boobs before me, and she got acne before me. Her acne was also bad, especially on her forehead--the pimples were similar to mine, except hers wasn't really on her cheeks. now her skin is GORGEOUS (knock on wood!). It is smooth, radiant, she gets the occasional pimple with her period but that's it. NO scars, nothing. And she never took any medicine (systemic or topical), she never washed her face, she never did anything. She just waited. And her acne is gone.

I was hoping that my face would follow a similar pattern (hers cleared up last summer and has been clear since) but when my face broke out in late feb. I panicked. I got so depressed over it. I have such a pretty face but I feel like my acne ruins it. Well so I went to a derm and she gave me 100 mg minocycline, clindamycin for the AM and retin a .025% gel for the PM. I used retin a micro .1% samples while I was waiting for my prescription and it made my skin burn, peel really badly and very dry. AND break out. I used it for one week. but then stopped and decided to just wait for my lower concentration to come. So I started using the .025 % on sunday and my skin peeled just a litttle bit but it doesn't burn. And I have small pimples coming to the surface and forming white heads. I will

put up some pics at some point (if some1 responds to this lol).

Does anyone know how long it will take for my face to clear up? How effective is retin a gel? Do you think that it will get rid of my acne and make my skin as nice as it was 4 years ago i.e. before puberty? Do you think my acne is the "teen acne" that I will outgrow? Am I freaking out too much? I want to believe that the retin a will work, but I keep thinking "what if it doesn't? " I asked my derm for accutane but she said no. She said that is not for my type of acne. But she barely saw me for 20 min. Please look at my pics and give me some type of idea of what to expect--I've searched online but didn't get a lot of nice before/after pics of other ppl. I donno how to put the pics in this post so I attached them (whatever that means). I joined this website today so im new to how to post pics, etc.

post-99514-1238023557_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023618_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023629_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023935_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023557_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023618_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023629_thumb.jpg

post-99514-1238023935_thumb.jpg

You're young. Your story is very similar to mine, I took too many pills and creams when I was younger and now 10 years later my skin is paying for it with resistant acne. My advice to you is to let your body heal itself, drinks lots of water, try bp and avoid harsh chemicals. I'm 26 right now and I'm on tretinoin cream even though they had prescribed it years ago but I never followed through. Like you, I would take antibiotics for 1 month or 2 until it cleared up, and a few months later it was worse than before. STOP THAT CYCLE NOW! Unless you have severe acne, try to cure yourself naturally before going on harsh chemicals/creams/pills/birth control =) And best of luck.