Notifications
Clear all

Moisturizer makes my eyes burn!

MemberMember
(@downtownla)

Posted : 03/24/2009 9:42 am

When I put moisturizer on my face, it makes my eyes irritated and burn. This happens even if I put it on my chin, which I would say is pretty far away from the eyes.

I thought at first that maybe I was rubbing my chin then getting the moisturizer near my eyes. But I've paid close attention to that now, and I think just the "fumes" are making it happen. They feel dry and irritated at the minimum, and the moisturizer is any higher up on my face -- like my cheeks -- my eyes will burn.

I've tried both Dan's moisturizer, and what he used to recommend before that, the Neutrogena one. His is better but it's still a problem for me.

Anyone else have this experience? Is there any moisturizer that doesn't do this?

MemberMember
(@robotgirl)

Posted : 03/25/2009 6:36 pm

I'm having this problem too! Every time I go through the regimen, my eyes burn and water as if I'm cutting onions, and the effect lasts a long time--sometimes up to an hour. Extremely annoying. Is there any way to avoid this, or will it go away eventually?

MemberMember
(@7)

Posted : 03/26/2009 1:27 am

I don't experience this at all...

MemberMember
(@easyminds)

Posted : 03/26/2009 1:41 am

Well it's hard to say what the problem is exactly.

It can be that it's irritation from the applied BP. Try avoiding your eye area as much as you can. Even when you apply the BP correct by avoiding your eye area, applying the moisturizer activates the BP again on your skin. So If you apply the moisturizer too close to your eyes, you may smear some BP over that area aswell.

Just try to be very gentle when applying both the BP and the moisturizer, and dont apply any of these products above your cheekbone.

I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@buffered)

Posted : 03/26/2009 10:34 am

this is my first time putting the moisturiser on and yes it burns my eyes too. weird. i can kind of smell the fumes lol. urea? i dunno but the smell makes my eyes tired and i wanna puke too.

MemberMember
(@robotgirl)

Posted : 03/26/2009 6:53 pm

For the last 2 days, I've been putting moisturizer around my eyes totally separately from the rest of my face and only after washing my hands well, with soap, so that I don't accidentally transfer BP to my eye area from other areas of my face or from my hands. This seems to be helping some. My eyes still burn and water, but it doesn't last nearly as long.

MemberMember
(@easyminds)

Posted : 03/27/2009 4:40 am

For the last 2 days, I've been putting moisturizer around my eyes totally separately from the rest of my face and only after washing my hands well, with soap, so that I don't accidentally transfer BP to my eye area from other areas of my face or from my hands. This seems to be helping some. My eyes still burn and water, but it doesn't last nearly as long.

It is possible that your eyes are having some kind of allergic reaction to either the BP or the moisturizer. Try applying less BP, thereby applying less moisturizer also. Maybe this will solve the problem with your eyes.

MemberMember
(@phyrexia)

Posted : 04/11/2009 8:29 am

Yup I get the same feeling for my eyes too, but I seriously think its due to BP rather than the moisturizer though. Personally, I stay very clear from the eye area when applying all my topicals, that minimizes the irritation. But I must admit it doesn't really solve the problem.

MemberMember
(@adamrodriguez)

Posted : 04/11/2009 11:23 pm

sounds like a chemical reaction maybe, when you put on the BP first and moisturizer later on could be causing this effect. Most likely it is not because of the moisturizer its because of the BP inside your skin that is reacting to the moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@ladytam)

Posted : 06/01/2011 11:00 am

I just started the Regimen last night, and I'm having the same problem.

At first, I thought it might be the BP. Because I have sensitive skin, I decided to skip the BP this morning and just use the cleanser and moisturizer. I have an off-brand that I bought at Wal-Green's.

This morning, my eyes are still burning off and on. Do they eventually get used to the fumes? or will I just have to find an even more gentle moisturizer? Does adding the recommended jojoba oil help? (I've never used jojoba.)

MemberMember
(@arkwell)

Posted : 06/02/2011 1:39 am

i have some suggestions for all of you

Firstly try switching up your moisturizer, i found dan's to burn my skin like you are all describing, I use Cetaphil, its light and goes on good

Secondly, be sure that the BP isnt getting anywhere near your eyes, the skin around your eyes is very thin and BP alone will irritate it, and then moisturizer also just irritates it even more, try not putting BP near your eyes for a few days and ONLY putting moisturizer just to let your skin get moisturized back to the way it was before the BP

MemberMember
(@ladytam)

Posted : 06/02/2011 8:38 am

Firstly try switching up your moisturizer, i found dan's to burn my skin like you are all describing, I use Cetaphil, its light and goes on good

Secondly, be sure that the BP isnt getting anywhere near your eyes, the skin around your eyes is very thin and BP alone will irritate it, and then moisturizer also just irritates it even more, try not putting BP near your eyes for a few days and ONLY putting moisturizer just to let your skin get moisturized back to the way it was before the BP

I don't believe it's the BP. I have use moisturizers before that did the same thing, sans BP.

Also it's not so much a feeling like I got something in one eye but more like I walked into a smoky room. (I am highly allergic to smoke.) It' s both eyes burning at the same time, every time, very suddenly, w/o me touching my face, and long after the moisturizer has been applied. Even several hours later.

HOWEVER, I have found that adding jojoba oil to the moisturizer helps IMMENSELY. :D So maybe JJB is the secret. ;)

MemberMember
(@arkwell)

Posted : 06/02/2011 5:31 pm

I don't believe it's the BP. I have use moisturizers before that did the same thing, sans BP.

Also it's not so much a feeling like I got something in one eye but more like I walked into a smoky room. (I am highly allergic to smoke.) It' s both eyes burning at the same time, every time, very suddenly, w/o me touching my face, and long after the moisturizer has been applied. Even several hours later.

HOWEVER, I have found that adding jojoba oil to the moisturizer helps IMMENSELY. :D So maybe JJB is the secret. ;)

i was never a big fan of the jojoba oil, but everyone is different, i switched moisturizers and it solved it for me

MemberMember
(@ladytam)

Posted : 06/04/2011 8:54 am

I take back my previous reply. lol

I looked into what I was using, and it turns out I was using 10% BP instead of 2.5% My moisturizer was an off-brand sunscreen and oil-free face cleaner. I changed all my products to ones that were recommended, and I haven't had any problems with burning eyes since!

I'm now using a Cetaphil gentle-cleansing face bar, Neutrogena On-The-Spot Treatment, and Cetaphil gentle face lotion.

Works like a charm, and haven't had any problems since!

MemberMember
(@happybana)

Posted : 06/04/2011 2:28 pm

I didn't read through the whole thread but I thought I'd quickly post on this topic, since it's exactly what I signed up to talk about!

I have this problem as well, with both the moisturizer and the benzoyl peroxide - although I have this problem with ALL moisturizers pretty much. However yesterday I started using the Jojoba oil as an eye moisturizer, and found to my surprise that it totally blocked whatever was irritating my eyes! Just wash your hands thoroughly, and gently rub the Jojoba oil into the skin around your eyes and see if that doesn't help. Bonus, it's about the best eye moisturizer I've tried to date.

*I am a ginger with lots of skin allergies and sensitivities, and this regimen, while it did burn my eyes before I started using the jojoba oil, it has really improved the quality of my skin and made my face much less irritated and sensitive than things I've tried in the past. And I've tried a LOT of things.

MemberMember
(@davey-boy)

Posted : 08/01/2011 3:17 pm

I'm still getting terrible eye burn from the BP :(

I'm a bit worried if it is harming my eyes!

MemberMember
(@tarstime)

Posted : 02/22/2022 1:59 am

I have the same problem. Eyes burn from the fumes. Makes you not want to use lotion but we kind of have to. I received some face lotion from Revelation by robin mcgraw. It didnt have any affect except it moisturized. This no as for her btw. Ive. Experimented with a few since. The better lotions may be better for the burn. I received a sample of lavelier. It was the best Ive ever used on my face. When I went to buy some it was $300.00 for a small size. Nope! Too expensive! The McGraw stuff was $40 bucks and 5/8 as good. Hope this helped!