Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deargod

avoidance personality disorder.. due to acne?

well i know acne has had a lot a impact on our lives...

but the two things that affected me the most is:

1. I became a social recluse. I think i have a avoidance personlity disorder where i avoid social scenes, or people in general that i've met before... etc or something

2. Social anxiety disorder... i get anxious in social situations

im in my second year of college now.. i should be over this already!!! ](*,)

I guess the only thing i can do is try to overcome these problems slowly but maturely.

Guest Brandon

I've never heard of avoidance personality disorder...but social anxiety is a bit extreme. Isn't that more like you're paranoid of society altogether, more then you'd like to avoid it? But either way I was t he same way. Still kind of am, but nothing's going to change so I need to move on. I'm done feeling sorry for myself and losing out on life. I convey such a tough image that people around me have no idea I'm such a crybaby. Just do whatever it takes to make you happy...even if it's for a short period of time. Just try to forget about the complexion of your face and don't dwell on depressing things. As long as you have a few close friends, you don't need to go out all the time.

Yeah,unfortunetely i suffer from this too sad.gif

Maybe i'll write my experience on here soon as i'm new to this board.I post on the clearskin.net board but i like this board too and have been browsing for a while so i thought i'd drop in smile.gif

I have it too, I think. Next year will be my last year of college....I can't keep on avoiding people or my whole college experience will be even worse than it already is.

I am unable to make eye contact with people when they talk to me. I also have a need to avoid bright lights and crowds.

i decided i better start getting out more , so i don't get any worse. i've had bad depression and anxiety from my acne. i was in a behavioral hospital for 5 days. im on meds now and see a therapist once a week.

good news is i did go out with the girl last night. we went and saw a movie.

Drew my man, you need to forge ahead and hang out. I have similar troubles, but try to deal as best as i can.

Guest Brandon
i have this disorder pretty bad. there is this hot girl that wants to hang out with me , but im too scared because of my acne.

I think I have this too. :unsure: I try to avoid any social situation that will get me noticed because of my skin, or anything else.

You guys need to stop buying into all these medically constructed mental "diseases". The fact is, EVERYTHING BAD, mental or physical, can be labeled a "disorder" or a "syndrome". Way too many people resign themselves, like "Oh man, I have BDD", like it's an excuse. You need to take control of your mind, because using those stupid "disorder" labels doesn't get you anywhere and only makes you think of it as an excuse.

I used to pick at my face all the time, and be terrified of social situations, it was a compulsive (habit) thing, but I never thought I had a disorder. But I was doing it the same, probably, as all of you. Except that one day I said "screw this BS, I'm not doing this anymore", and I made a slow but steady effort to get a grip. Now I never pick at my face, and I talk to people just fine. But it takes effort and determination. It takes a conscious decision to change and to not buy into these ridiculous labels that the medical industry has given things.

Some people are stronger than others at overcoming the psychological effects of chronic diseases. For some people acne is an acute disease. Eventually it goes away and they forget about it. But for others like myself it has been chronic and persistent. It has altered my personality because of the way people have reacted to me.

It is like Elizabeth Smart pointed out in her interview with Diane Sawyer, when you are told over and over that you are no good, you begin to believe it. For me it was the same way with my acne. People, and their actions, told me over and over again that I am ugly, repulsive, disgusting, not likable, etc, etc. and I began to believe them. My behavior then reflected my belief. Instead of holding my head up and smiling, I looked down and I frowned. Now people were not only repulsed by my acne, but had more reason to dislike me because I am perceived as unfriendly.

I certainly admire you dude for being able to overcome the stigma of acne. But I really don't think the psychological effects are a figment of anyones imagination.

Psychological Effects of Acne

I hope some day to feel like I am as attractive and worthy as those that do not have acne. I would love to have lots of friends and be the center of attention. But for me its not a matter of just telling myself to do it. It's a barrier to overcome.

Some people are stronger than others at overcoming the psychological effects of chronic diseases.  For some people acne is an acute disease.  Eventually it goes away and they forget about it.   But for others like myself it has been chronic and persistent.  It has altered my personality because of the way people have reacted to me. 

It is like Elizabeth Smart pointed out in her interview with Diane Sawyer, when you are told over and over that you are no good, you begin to believe it.  For me it was the same way with my acne.  People, and their actions, told me over and over again that I am ugly, repulsive, disgusting, not likable, etc, etc. and I began to believe them.  My behavior then reflected my belief.  Instead of holding my head up and smiling, I looked down and I frowned.  Now people were not only repulsed by my acne, but had more reason to dislike me because I am perceived as unfriendly. 

I certainly admire you dude for being able to overcome the stigma of acne.  But I really don't think the psychological effects are a figment of anyones imagination. 

Psychological Effects of Acne

I hope some day to feel like I am as attractive and worthy as those that do not have acne.  I would love to have lots of friends and be the center of attention.  But for me its not a matter of just telling myself to do it.  It's a barrier to overcome.

Acne does NOTHING to you if you don't let it, except for making your face red. It doesn't paralyze you, it doesn't make you die if you're in the sun, it doesn't keep you from talking, and it doesn't innately keep you from being confident with yourself. THOSE are the figments of your imagination.

LISTEN TO YOURSELF! "As attractive and worthy as those without acne?" What?! You're not as "worthy"? You can't have "lots of friends"?

Acne makes your face red and bumpy. Everything else you do to yourself.

I have been diagnosed with psychosis over my acne, which sounds really bad but it means this

"A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning."

I have the loss of contact with reality in that my skin is pretty clear but I think its bad. I also have the "deterioration of normal social functioning", but dont we all...

I dont know if I really believe in all this naming of conditions but I am no expert and i know i have a problem.

I also think that even if my skin was perfect tomorrow that the damage it has caused me mentally over the past 12 years may mean its too late for me. I havent known anything else for so long that I think I am pretty fuked up, maybe for good sad.gif

Acne does NOTHING to you if you don't let it, except for making your face red. It doesn't paralyze you, it doesn't make you die if you're in the sun, it doesn't keep you from talking, and it doesn't innately keep you from being confident with yourself. THOSE are the figments of your imagination.

LISTEN TO YOURSELF! "As attractive and worthy as those without acne?" What?! You're not as "worthy"? You can't have "lots of friends"?

Acne makes your face red and bumpy. Everything else you do to yourself.

Dude: I wish this "loser" could pull herself up by her bootstraps and overcome all the psychological effects just like that but, for me, it just doesn't work that way. Acne has done alot more than make my face red and bumpy. For me the bumps were very disfiguring and the scars have been worse than the bumps. Yes I'm alive in body but I am just a shell of what I would have been if acne had not repressed my personality and destroyed my self confidence.

I never said that I'm not attractive and worthy. I said I want to "FEEL as attractive and worthy as those without acne". There is a big difference. Self esteem and self confidence are so important. As I tell my kids, good social skills and a good sense of yourself are two of the most important qualities for a rewarding life.

I certainly agree with you that I would be much better off to stop thinking about how I look and just live. But for me that would require some major behavioral change. It often becomes a cycle of starting off the day feeling good, going into the world and encountering a group of people, hearing someone say something as benign as "GROSS", automatically thinking they are talking about me, experiencing a stream of negative thoughts about myself i.e. I'm ugly, a freak of nature, scarred, repulsive, GROSS, etc, etc., then poof, the whole good mood I started with is gone and I just do what I have to to get through the day.

Yikes, where did my bootstraps disappear to? Why can't I just snap out of it, smile and go on?

I don't know the answer to that question. I try to fight the feelings of negativity but they still over come me. I go on and do what I have to but the fun and enjoyment of life are squeezed out of me and I feel like someone has kicked me in the stomach.

I wish it were as easy as you make it out to be but the reality is, its not. Whether its called Social Anxiety Disorder, Body dysmorphic disorder or just plain loco in la cabeza, its a real problem.

Guest Brandon

dudeman, what you fail to realize is that the degree of how each individual acne sufferer deals with acne varies. Not every person can simply ignore the problems that right on their face. What you are doing is just ignorning your problems and bottling them up. That's not good. If a person wants to cry or whatever over acne, then that's good that they're venting. It may not be productive, by your standards, but at least they are coping with the problem.

dudeman, what you fail to realize is that the degree of how each individual acne sufferer deals with acne varies. Not every person can simply ignore the problems that right on their face. What you are doing is just ignorning your problems and bottling them up. That's not good. If a person wants to cry or whatever over acne, then that's good that they're venting. It may not be productive, by your standards, but at least they are coping with the problem.

Guest Brandon

I commend you then for having the strength to overcome what others view as a socially crippling problem.

I commend you then for having the strength to overcome what others view as a socially crippling problem.

Oh, I'm crazy. I admit it. I won't even go out for coffee at 12 a.m with my friend I've know since we were 4. This house is my prison and I accept that. I havent been out of the house for 3 weeks. I think I am a prime example of what this disorder does to people.

I used to have the exact same thoughts. You're making excuses. I was in the exact same position as you. When I was clear for a time, I still thought I looked terrible, and whenever I heard someone say "eww", anyt ANYTHING, I thought they were talking about me. Whenever someone smiled at me I automatically thought they were laughing at my terrible, bumpy face. I used to be practically psychotic about it.

Yes, INDEED it does take a major behavioral change. That's the whole point. Is it worth it? Yes. It is a slow process? Yes. But you have to start making little changes in how you feel about yourself, or else you just stagnate. Stagnation is equal to losing.

The first step is realizing one's worth in other areas besides one's face. For me, the start was going to the gym and getting really toned. I did, and felt better. But it wasn't enough, so I started doing more hobbies. Through that, I started unconsciously becoming more at ease socially. It took a while, but it happened. And I just kept going until I am where I am now. I still have acne but I act like I don't, and that's winning.