Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ManicDepression

Mederma for rolling scars?

i just read something about mederma on this forum, is it good for indented / rolling scars or is that just for hypertrophic scars? in other words is there any risks that mederma make the scar more deep?

I have this cream called efudex (fluoro uracil, that inhibits the synthesis of thymine, so basically, inhibits replication, in our cells). It s used to treat skin cancer, and some minor stuff too, well i can tell you it kicks ass if you wanna get rid of extrapieces of skin, such as hypertrophic scars, which is not my case. (it s on prescription though)

So any info about mederma on rolling scars? is it dangerous to try?

from what I have seen on this board, most people will say that mederma did absolutely nothing for their scars. BUT, i've also seen more than one post where people have claimed to have tremendous success using mederma. I personally have bought it, but am just unable to use it under makeup and with my other products so I have no clue if it works. When it needs to be applied several times throughout the day it's kind of hard to do if you wear makeup.

I only have one shallow scar on my cheek

I bought mederma for the shallow rolling scars I have at my temples. It is rather difficult to use. You have to apply it several times a day, then it burns and leaves dry peely skin. Maybe if you can stick through all of that annoyance, and use it consistantly for several months it might do something. I think most people give up and quit because it is so inconvenient.

I used it for a couple months, but not as consistantly as the directions said. It did not help me at all.

I used mederma on my temples for rolling type scars and on my forehead and cheeks (I have scarring all over my face from hailine to chin). It did absolutely nothing!

From what I have read Mederma is for hypertrophic scarring, not for rolling scars.

You want to build collagen, not deplete it.

As I said in other posts Mederma really is for flattening hyeprtrophic scars not the depressed scars. Many of my clients have tried it and quite a few had the same reaction as Brina Bean ( the burning and irritation ) and not many were satisfied with the end results. It's quite $$$ too. If you get the burning sensation, stop using it and return it to the store where you bought it !!!

I had tried Mederma several times and I've noticed that I got ugly scars everytime i used but I thought it was because the injuries were very deep (I didn't used it in a open wound).

Several days ago I almost lost three fingers with a circular saw (The worst experience in my whole life) I waited until the wound heal and I started using mederma in two of the fingers and I avoided to use in one finger and guess what.... I got a very ugly scars in the firgers where I used mederma and a flat and not very noticeable scar in the finger where I did NOT used !!!

Maybe is just a reaction of my body to the ingredients of the formula but If I reacted you could react too, beware....

I just want you to know my experience for you to be aware of this, if you see the scar get worst just stop using it.

Cheers

Its for raised scars which often come after surgery or on black skin with acne, as they are much mroe likely to get hypertrophic scars than other skin.

My dad got dog bites on both shins from an attack and had one really nasty bite scar on each leg. He didnt wear shorts for two years and my sister had a child and used mederma on the c section scar and it faded out. So he tried it and those scars totally vanished. Keep in mind that acne scars are about the only scar that is caused from damage below the surface though.

Yeah, I think it's for hypertrophic scars. It won't do anything for pitted scars.

I saw my sister bought this because it says it's good for stretch marks, but the packages also says for 'Acne Scars'. BS, I say. I went on their website and saw some "testimonials", one even said it helped with chicken pox scars, more BS.

It really bothers me when people say 'acne scars' and they refer to temporary hyperpigmentation that goes away by itself after certain time.

I emailed them asking them what they mean by "Acne Scars", but I haven't received a reply. I called their 800 number to ask the same thing, but I was just told they'll get back to me.

These are the ingredients in Mederma: Water(Purified) PEG-4, Allium Cepa (onion) bulb extract, Xantham Gum, Allantoin, Fragance, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid

I don't know about you, but I really don't see any ingredient that would do something for scars.

Now that I think about it, I think my grandmother used to put onion skin on her finger when she had a cut, so that's maybe something.

Yeah, I think it's for hypertrophic scars. It won't do anything for pitted scars.

I saw my sister bought this because it says it's good for stretch marks, but the packages also says for 'Acne Scars'. BS, I say. I went on their website and saw some "testimonials", one even said it helped with chicken pox scars, more BS.

It really bothers me when people say 'acne scars' and they refer to temporary hyperpigmentation that goes away by itself after certain time.

I emailed them asking them what they mean by "Acne Scars", but I haven't received a reply. I called their 800 number to ask the same thing, but I was just told they'll get back to me.

These are the ingredients in Mederma: Water(Purified) PEG-4, Allium Cepa (onion) bulb extract, Xantham Gum, Allantoin, Fragance, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid

I don't know about you, but I really don't see any ingredient that would do something for scars.

Now that I think about it, I think my grandmother used to put onion skin on her finger when she had cut, so that's maybe something.

I agree! I also read something on line don't know the validity of it though and it said that studies have shown onion bulb extract could make scars worse.