Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I'm suffering from severe hormonal acne. It hit me over the course of about 2 weeks. My skin went from a few minor pimples here and there too a full blown disaster. I think it's hormonal because i've been very stressed out lately. Large red nodules and cysts all over my face, mainly on my chin and around my mouth and nose, but some on my forehead also. Right now i'm treating it with orthotricyclen (just started) and Dan's cleanser and moisturizer. I'm thinking about using AHA to spot treat. I'm terrified to use BP because in the past BP, however little i use -- even if it's only once a day -- has been like acid on my face. My entire face, even wehre i haven't used it, peels and flakes and stings BIG TIME and it seems like maybe my face would get used to the BP in time but i just can't stand the effects enough to keep using it. it's AS BAD as the acne in terms of how it looks and feels. I'm also going to start taking sprionolactone.

Has anyone cleared up their very severe adult acne without benzoyl peroxide???

Thanks very much!!

Definately not me, it doesn't penetrate deep enough to get those cysts. I've experienced the same thing 4 weeks ago, I used to have mild/moderate acne then one day my face just blew up and did so for the next 2 weeks. I said fuck it and went on accutane. Benzoyl peroxide bleaches your skin. Do you want to look pasty white with giant cysts all over your face?

I've used BP in the past never found it to be effective enough to warrant the side effects. I use mainly glycolics and SAs now, as well as tea tree oil. Tea tree oil supposedly works in the same manner as BP, but is natural and less drying in the long run. I far prefer it.

tea tree oil is not recomended for those with sensitive, oily to combination skin. nice to know.

but for those who use tea tree and had positive results. good for you. ^^

For the tea tree application, it's supposed to be just dab and not all over. :rolleyes:

you could try 5% ibuprofen gel with tee tree oil or cream twice a day. All the benefits of bp but without the drying effectc.

take some vitamins too.

zinc

fish oil

b complex

vitamin d

all help - all natural.

drink water with a slice of lemon - helps flush out whatever toxins that might be triggering your acne.

try cutting back on dairy see if it has any effect on your skin.

Absolutely right, TTO shouldn't be used on your whole face indiscriminately. I have a small bottle of TTO that I dip a qtip into, and dab on individual spots.

Personally, I use a hot compress to help draw the core of the blemish to the surface, and dab TTO on it. I find it shortening the time I have cysts for by quite a lot.

Absolutely right, TTO shouldn't be used on your whole face indiscriminately. I have a small bottle of TTO that I dip a qtip into, and dab on individual spots.

That's the way it should be done, BP all over the face and using it on places with normal skin is just going to cause irritation and probably acne in areas you never had problems with. A small amount on a qtip will destroy the acne no doubt.. but it will never SOLVE your acne problems. Im not sure if getting rid of acne by spot treating will cause acne scars but i still would never use it as its way to harsh no matter what percentage.

That's the way it should be done, BP all over the face and using it on places with normal skin is just going to cause irritation and probably acne in areas you never had problems with. A small amount on a qtip will destroy the acne no doubt.. but it will never SOLVE your acne problems. Im not sure if getting rid of acne by spot treating will cause acne scars but i still would never use it as its way to harsh no matter what percentage.

Agreed. It's pretty much a reaction to an already existing problem. Not a bad thing, it's certainly a good thing to know how to do until you figure out how to get the problem to stop altogether.

Which is why I'm exploring other tactics on that front, the getting-the-problem-to-stop-happening front. But in the meantime, knowing how to resolve it quickly is handy.

Hi, I'm suffering from severe hormonal acne. It hit me over the course of about 2 weeks. My skin went from a few minor pimples here and there too a full blown disaster. I think it's hormonal because i've been very stressed out lately. Large red nodules and cysts all over my face, mainly on my chin and around my mouth and nose, but some on my forehead also. Right now i'm treating it with orthotricyclen (just started) and Dan's cleanser and moisturizer. I'm thinking about using AHA to spot treat. I'm terrified to use BP because in the past BP, however little i use -- even if it's only once a day -- has been like acid on my face. My entire face, even wehre i haven't used it, peels and flakes and stings BIG TIME and it seems like maybe my face would get used to the BP in time but i just can't stand the effects enough to keep using it. it's AS BAD as the acne in terms of how it looks and feels. I'm also going to start taking sprionolactone.

Has anyone cleared up their very severe adult acne without benzoyl peroxide???

Thanks very much!!

The strongest medications for acne are retinoids. I suffer from persistant moderate acne where I break out ever single day. Ive also been on ortho tricyclen lo for the past month and a half. Ive been using Epiduo for the last month. I recommend Epiduo. It does work. Its slow but it does work and it has really helped my red marks.

I will be surprised if anyone's severe acne can be treated with bp. Bp is only for mild acne. My derm told me that the only treatment that will have any effect on severe acne is accutane.

Definitely try to cut down on stress. Stress makes your inflammatory response kick into overdrive, slows the healing process, increases oil production and makes your skin more sensitive.

Translated into horrible breakouts X( I know because stress is my only trigger

Definitely try to cut down on stress. Stress makes your inflammatory response kick into overdrive, slows the healing process, increases oil production and makes your skin more sensitive.

Translated into horrible breakouts X( I know because stress is my only trigger

LOL, Mamaeha! I love that sentence because I work in the Financial Industry and STRESS should be the job title :(

I know---in this economy I'm glad to have a job but you're right--my breakouts rise and fall with the stock market. Someday I'll land something in calmer waters.

P.S.

After 10 years of Dermatologists and about 15 creams/pills I finally found my magic potion

Aczone in the AM

Epiduo in the PM (Tri Luma also PM for 2 months its working great to lighten my past dark post breakout scar spots--I'm mixed race, AA and Asian)

Doryx in the am for 4 days the week before my period which is when I would normally have raging hormonal cysts....keeps them away!

This is the first time since 9th grade that I can finally go out without mandatory cover up or I'm humiliated and paranoid that someone is gawking at my scars and zits. I hope my cocktail works for someone else... :dance: