Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KellyJ403

Eating Raw Foods = Clear Skin?

Hi,

Has anyone tried moving to a raw foods lifestyle for clear skin? The widely reported benefits of eating raw foods are weight loss, increased energy, and clear skin.

I've had mild to moderate acne and rosecea my whole adult life (I'm 26). My husband and I are in the middle of doing a month long "mostly raw" experiment for a variety of reasons - we're keeping a blog of the experience at www.rawfoodrealpeople.blogspot.com if anyone's interested in exploring this idea!

Hope to hear from you,

Kelly

I'm not to big into the raw food movement because it can be harder to digest and for acne you want to make sure that you digest things as easily as possible as good digestion leads to good overall health. I tried it before and all I got was stomach aches and my skin didn't clear up. I find eating seasonally is much better so I balance cooked foods with raw depending on the season. For example I eat more raw foods in the summer than I do in the winter because raw foods are more accessible in the summer. My diet consists mostly of meat, fat, and vegetables and I find that my body does best on this type of diet. Eating raw does have some good benefits but eating completely raw will only give you a boost in the short run. I wouldn't recommend eating raw everything.

hehe Kelly, I LOVED your blog, you two seem to be doing well!

I enjoy raw food but sometimes I just dont feel full enough after it unless I eat something cooked as well, also Im a self confessed comfort eater lol

What made you decide to try it?

I don't think you should move to a completely raw diet, but everyone should try to strive to eat at least one raw food at every meal.

I could never go totally raw, my stomach would complain far too much! Even my cooked veg is only really 'shown a steamer' I like it hot but still crunchy if that makes sense?

I don't think you should move to a completely raw diet, but everyone should try to strive to eat at least one raw food at every meal.

Why? What benefits would this habit bestow upon you?

I mean I could see how you might experience some weight loss, increased energy, and maybe clear skin in the short term because your cutting out most bad foods I assume but besides those short term benefits is it really beneficial in the long run? What's the argument for it?

Humans have been eating cooked meat and vegetables forever.

Although humans have also been killing, stealing, and cheating for a long time as well. I'm not exactly sure that's the yardstick we should be using.

I have seen a couple people on this board become clear on a raw vegan diet, by the way.

Although humans have also been killing, stealing, and cheating for a long time as well. I'm not exactly sure that's the yardstick we should be using.

The point is that the human race has thrived on cooked foods to the point that we've now populated almost 7 billion humans in six continents. If cooked food was bad for us we wouldn't have made it this far--for one thing, civilization wouldn't be possible without the cooked grain, or the cooked tuber.

That said, some raw food might have its place in a diet, and there may be minor side effects of cooking food. But there's no evolutionary (or scholarly) basis to eating only raw food, and especially not raw vegan food.

The point is that the human race has thrived on cooked foods to the point that we've now populated almost 7 billion humans in six continents. If cooked food was bad for us we wouldn't have made it this far--for one thing, civilization wouldn't be possible without the cooked grain, or the cooked tuber.

That said, some raw food might have its place in a diet, and there may be minor side effects of cooking food. But there's no evolutionary (or scholarly) basis to eating only raw food, and especially not raw vegan food.

I'm not actually quite sure that was the point. However, I find it interesting that you would hold up grains as evidence that we should eat cooked food, when grains and starchy carbohydrates have recieved routine criticism on this board by the low carb/paleo dieters on this board.

In addition, I don't believe the question was ever whether cooked food was "bad for us" (this coming from a person who eats 95% of his protein and carbs cooked). I think the better question is-- What is the optimal diet for a human being?

The human race, yes, ate meat for thousands of years.

However, only within the last few decades have we stopped eating 'natural' meat that we hunted and killed; instead, we have hormone pumped, dead cat and dog fed, caged cattle, poultry, etc.

There's a vast difference between the burger you get at White Castle and the caveman that killed a buffalo for his tribe and ate every 2nd day. Vanity with regards to acne and pimples also was not an issue up until the last hundred years. Humans may have eaten meat forever but they also didn't give a shit whether they had pimples or not.

Instead of a raw vegan diet which has such a steep acclimation curve, I would just first start by not eating any beef, dairy, chicken or eggs for three months. Keep eating fish for your protein loading and see how that goes. I also don't exactly buy into the whole 'raw vegan' diet either.

On a personal note, I do know that not eating meat, chicken or fish entirely cleared up my skin within a month. It's been clear ever since.

The human species, and it's ancestors have eaten raw for far longer than cooked food. And all of our closest relatives eat entirely raw, and mostly vegetarian.

And the obvious advantage to eating some foods raw would be more of the nutrients and enzymes that get destroyed by cooking.

Most people becoming vegans reported worse acne on this website.

I find it funny that a lot of people on here say how bad pasta and grains are for our bodies, yet if you look at Italy, which consumes a diet high in pasta and bread, the life expectancy for Italians is one of the highest in the world at around 80. I think the key to a good diet is balance and moderation. Veggies, Fruits, grains, meats, and even some sweets.

A factor to consider is preparation, portion, and lifestyle factors.

Is the pasta slathered in cream sauce? Is the pasta the main course or simply the appetizer? How many hours of daily activity do you get? Some people who are extremely active can afford eating a higher carb diet. Others with lower activity levels may benefit by eating around 30-40% in fat. Can't generalize.

Personally, I can't go raw. I don't have the ethical integrity, the will-power, or the taste buds for such decision.

I find it funny that a lot of people on here say how bad pasta and grains are for our bodies, yet if you look at Italy, which consumes a diet high in pasta and bread, the life expectancy for Italians is one of the highest in the world at around 80. I think the key to a good diet is balance and moderation. Veggies, Fruits, grains, meats, and even some sweets.

The traditional Italian diet might not be exactly what you think it is. http://www.westonaprice.org/letters/L2003wi.html

I'm not actually quite sure that was the point.

That was exactly the point. You pointed out that not all age-old human habits are necessarily good (murder, thievery, etc). I pointed out that a diet of primarily cooked food must necessarily be good, if humans now flourish so well that we have a serious problem of overpopulation.

However, I find it interesting that you would hold up grains as evidence that we should eat cooked food, when grains and starchy carbohydrates have recieved routine criticism on this board by the low carb/paleo dieters on this board.

All I said is that civilization is based upon the availability of cooked grains/tubers. We wouldn't have civilization if we didn't know how to cook. Likewise, cooked foods have made civilization possible. There are certainly downfalls of civilization, but seeing as the purpose of any species is to reproduce, and cooked foods allow humans to reproduce in mass numbers....

In addition, I don't believe the question was ever whether cooked food was "bad for us" (this coming from a person who eats 95% of his protein and carbs cooked). I think the better question is-- What is the optimal diet for a human being?

And I'm just arguing that the raw diet is not the optimal diet for humans. I know that I sometimes don't word my sentences perfectly--sorry if it seems like I'm diluting the purpose of this discussion, or something.

That was exactly the point. You pointed out that not all age-old human habits are necessarily good (murder, thievery, etc). I pointed out that a diet of primarily cooked food must necessarily be good, if humans now flourish so well that we have a serious problem of overpopulation.

I don't think that was the point of the original poster who said that cooked foods have been eaten "forever."

By the way, does a population increase necessarily mean we are flourishing? I'm not sure.

All I said is that civilization is based upon the availability of cooked grains/tubers. We wouldn't have civilization if we didn't know how to cook. Likewise, cooked foods have made civilization possible. There are certainly downfalls of civilization, but seeing as the purpose of any species is to reproduce, and cooked foods allow humans to reproduce in mass numbers....

I aree with you about the importance of grains and I've made a similar point in another post. But I find it interesting that you are now buttressing your argument by linking the growth of human civilization to the consumption of grains and starchy carbs. These foods have received so much criticism in past posts from some of the regular posters on this board.

And I'm just arguing that the raw diet is not the optimal diet for humans. I know that I sometimes don't word my sentences perfectly--sorry if it seems like I'm diluting the purpose of this discussion, or something.

If that is in fact what you are arguing, you haven't really provided any evidence in support of your theory. Alternativista's post seems more convincing.

I actually saw a book on veganism the other day and it had an interesting argument on what the optimal diet for humans is--

1) Meat-Humans are fundamentally different from carnivores. Carnivores walk on all fours while humans walk erect on 2 feet. We do not have claws, but fingernails (making it harder to tear flesh. Carnivores have tails. Carnivores have pointed and sharp teeth, while humans have flat teeth.

2)Grains-cannot be digested when raw and humans would have trouble gathering/consuming them while in nature.

3)Roots and tubers-Animals that eat roots have snouts. In addition, humans wouldn't be able to eat roots w/o digging tools.

4)legumes-are toxic to humans uncooked.

5) Fruits-easily digestible in their natural state, full of nutrients.

I did a raw food diet 7 years ago. It was a raw vegan diet for about 1.5 years, and then I added raw animal products (raw egg yolks, raw dairy) and did that for about 3 years. On the raw vegan diet, my skin cleared up somewhat, but I was still getting big cysts. I attribute the improvement to the fact that I wasn't eating cafeteria food anymore. I attribute the persistence of my cysts to the large quantities of nuts I was eating as well as the fruit and vegetables which I may have been intolerant to (that is, they contained potential allergens...eg: fruit containing salicylates, stone fruits, night shades).

My skin quality remained the same on the raw animal product diet. I was still eating the nuts and fruits/veggies, but adding the raw dairy gave me poor digestion. I actually didn't see much of an increase in my acne, but not an improvement either.

My skin has cleared up (I still can't' believe it!) in a month doing an elimination diet.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Clearing-...83#entry2560483

Good luck on the raw quest.

I have noticed eating non processed foods (as in mostly untouched by man) clears my skin up. I started Honey, fruit, meat, and vegetable diet and my skin has almost completely cleared. Usually it would take alot to get me to eat healthy, but acne is motivation enough.

People in areas where processed foods aren't available tend to have clear skin. This may be why so many americans have it compared to other areas.

Meat-Humans are fundamentally different from carnivores. Carnivores walk on all fours while humans walk erect on 2 feet. We do not have claws, but fingernails (making it harder to tear flesh. Carnivores have tails. Carnivores have pointed and sharp teeth, while humans have flat teeth.

I found this rather silly as what defines what we eat isn't necessarily just on the outside, it's the inside that's doing the digesting. We produce hydrochloric acid which isn't found in herbivores and we also produce many other digestive enzymes to digest animal and vegetable foods. We have longer stomachs than carnivores but not as long as herbivores which show that we are omnivores.

But anyway that still doesn't really support a raw diet. I mean being vegan doesn't directly mean you eat raw and vice versa.

Meat-Humans are fundamentally different from carnivores. Carnivores walk on all fours while humans walk erect on 2 feet. We do not have claws, but fingernails (making it harder to tear flesh. Carnivores have tails. Carnivores have pointed and sharp teeth, while humans have flat teeth.

I found this rather silly as what defines what we eat isn't necessarily just on the outside, it's the inside that's doing the digesting. We produce hydrochloric acid which isn't found in herbivores and we also produce many other digestive enzymes to digest animal and vegetable foods. We have longer stomachs than carnivores but not as long as herbivores which show that we are omnivores.

But anyway that still doesn't really support a raw diet. I mean being vegan doesn't directly mean you eat raw and vice versa.

I actually think it's quite interesting (I'm not a vegan or raw vegan by the way). I remember him mentioning intestinal length in the book. Human's intestines are many times longer than their torso, but carnivores intestines are not, perhaps to prevent the flesh from decomposing in their bodies.

It ties in with the raw idea because he was saying fruit is the ideal food for humans. I mean you could cook fruit but usually you would eat it raw.

By the way, I like your avatar.

I love raw food and it has helped my skin considerably.

If you don't want to go raw my advice, eat just over half of every meal as raw i.e. big salad with whatever you're having.

Raw food won't just change how you look and feel physically but emotionally and mentally.

It's all good :)