Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Packerfan785

How much vitamin D is optimal?

How much vitamin D were humans meant to get? How much do tribal people get a day? Should I be fine taking 4000 IU because it seems to be the most important factor in my acne.

That is what makes it impossible to say how much Vitamin D any individual should take: it's like filling the gas tank in your car -- you don't know how much to put in unless you first know how much you've got.

The Vitamin D Council currently recommends you keep your Vitamin D tank above 50ng/ml through all the seasons of the year. The only way to know if you've accomplished that is by getting your blood tested.

4,000IU may be enough to accomplish that, but YMMV, so the only way to know for sure is get tested.

I found that research has shown adults can take up to 20,000 IU a day without any side effects. 40,000 IU is fatal. Obviously I feel fine now taking 4,000 IU.

LoL 40,000 IU is not fatal my friend. i suppose it can be risky and definitely dangerous to pursue long term without blood testing. but i don't think anyone has ever died from taking 40,000IU or anything close to it. FWIW i have taken a couple hundred thousand IU in one sitting on multiple occasions. vitamin d is pretty safe, especially if you are deficient as most of us are. you will feel ill effects before it kills you.

For long term, it's probably best not to go above 1200 IU. You probably will be OK at 4000 IU, but you'd be too near to the highest thought to be safe, and there's a chance that individual variations might make it toxic for you; and thinking can change on these things.

Very high doses tend to promote atherosclerosis (i.e. heart disease).

Still, taking 4000 IU for even a few months probably won't do anything; humans have unbelievably large capacity for vitamin D; you could literally take a bottle of vitamin D every day for a couple of months or so before you'd hit toxicity; it's the total level in the body that matters not how many you take per day.

I don't know. It also depends on how much sun you get/how dark your skin is etc. But I took over 2,000 for several months and still when I had it tested, my level was only 36ng/ml. So I would guess that 4,000 is a good amount.