Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
absolution

Would appreciate some personalized advice from Spiro users

Hey everyone, I just started Spiro (I took my 6th pill tonight) on 100mg a day. Im wondering if Im actually someone who SHOULD be helped by Spiro? Im only 17, Ive had acne since I was 11, and accutane cleared me up but now its coming back around my jawline and upper cheek area. My hormone levels were tested (except testosterone was not) and they came back normal, so Im not sure if I have a problem with my testosterone. Also, Ive been taking Yaz for about 3 weeks.

Just wondering if you guys think it was a good idea for the derm to perscribe this? Thanks all.

My answer is YES! I was you 30 years ago. I've had acne since puberty and been through every regime out there. This stuff is a godsend - it gave me normal skin and I can stay on it forever!!!!

Accutane gave me beautiful skin but acne and oil always returned.

I am a medical researcher but not a physician. Take my observations as my opinion only:

NOT JUST FOR ELEVATED TESTOSTERONE: Current dogma is that women with excess oil/acne may have extra-sensitive receptors for testosterone, i.e. don't necessarily have to show high levels for spiro to help. When aldactone was first used for acne, they thought you had to have pcos with demonstrable high androgen levels - not any more.

EFFICACY:

This stuff shows a VERY high efficacy ( it helps an impressively high percentage of people). The only thing that worked as completely was accutane. Results seem to correlate strongly with dosage. You have to ramp up slowly though (think months and years). Most people will take at least 100 mg/day for complete clearing. Top end is 200 mg.

SAFETY: I won't reiterate the known accutane side effects. Spiro has been around for decades and essentially hasn't shown any serious side effects. You MUST stay hydrated and watch your potassium.

My treatments over 30 years: topical and oral antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, retin A, tazorac, glycolic acid treatments, and yes, 5 rounds of accutane taken several years apart.

In high school, I could count on 2-3 new small pimples per day with the seldom deep one. That meant I always had new and healing acne but could cover the red spots with makeup. This continued into adulthood.... I have pretty oily skin - my nose would be shiny about 20 minutes after washing.

Most meds would decrease the number of blemishes, but not eliminate them. I didn't feel like my skin EVER looked good without makeup except after a sunburn!

Accutante was THE ONLY thing that would completely eliminate my acne. The problem was after treatment ended, my skin would gradually become oily again and the acne would return. I went through 5 rounds of that!!!!

At 45, my derm put me on spiro. My testosterone was normal... but... I immediately saw a decrease in oil and GRADUAL decrease in # of pimples. I was REALLY grateful not to have oily skin anymore but it took awhile to eliminate new lesions. t was two steps forward, one back until about the 6 month mark when I was 95% clear all the time. I was down to 1-2 small zits/month. I started @ 50 mg/1 month, 150 mg/ for 10 months, then 200 mg in January 09. (we upped the dosate to 200mg to eliminate the premenstrual oiliness/zit). Bottom line - my skin is perfectly normal with no excess oil and no pimples. It has changed my life and I am thankful (even at 45) to have good skin. You have an opportunity here. Be patient and don't give up in 3 months.

good luck!

I am also considering trying Spironolactone for my hormonal acne. I'm torn between that and Accutane, which i'm really scared to get on. My appt isn't until april and i guess it's all up to my Dr. I really hope he can prescribe me Spiro... I was reading somewhere that Spiro is "black boxed' by the FDA. don't know how true this is, but It sounds like a very good drug for hormonal acne....FINALLY!

My answer is YES! I was you 30 years ago. I've had acne since puberty and been through every regime out there. This stuff is a godsend - it gave me normal skin and I can stay on it forever!!!!

I am a medical researcher but not a physician. Take my observations as my opinion only:

NOT JUST FOR ELEVATED TESTOSTERONE: Current dogma is that women with excess oil/acne may have extra-sensitive receptors for testosterone, i.e. don't necessarily have to show high levels for spiro to help. When aldactone was first used for acne, they thought you had to have pcos with demonstrable high androgen levels - not any more.

EFFICACY:

This stuff shows a VERY high efficacy ( it helps an impressively high percentage of people). The only thing that worked as completely was accutane. Results seem to correlate strongly with dosage. You have to ramp up slowly though (think months and years). Most people will take at least 100 mg/day for complete clearing. Top end is 200 mg.

SAFETY: I won't reiterate the known accutane side effects. Spiro has been around for decades and essentially hasn't shown any serious side effects. You MUST stay hydrated and watch your potassium.

My treatments over 30 years: topical and oral antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, retin A, tazorac, glycolic acid treatments, and yes, 5 rounds of accutane taken several years apart.

In high school, I could count on 2-3 new small pimples per day with the seldom deep one. That meant I always had new and healing acne but could cover the red spots with makeup. This continued into adulthood.... I have pretty oily skin - my nose would be shiny about 20 minutes after washing.

Most meds would decrease the number of blemishes, but not eliminate them. I didn't feel like my skin EVER looked good without makeup except after a sunburn!

Accutante was THE ONLY thing that would completely eliminate my acne. The problem was after treatment ended, my skin would gradually become oily again and the acne would return. I went through 5 rounds of that!!!!

At 45, my derm put me on spiro. My testosterone was normal... but... I immediately saw a decrease in oil and GRADUAL decrease in # of pimples. I was REALLY grateful not to have oily skin anymore but it took awhile to eliminate new lesions. t was two steps forward, one back until about the 6 month mark when I was 95% clear all the time. I was down to 1-2 small zits/month. I started @ 50 mg/1 month, 150 mg/ for 10 months, then 200 mg in January 09. (we upped the dosate to 200mg to eliminate the premenstrual oiliness/zit). Bottom line - my skin is perfectly normal with no excess oil and no pimples. It has changed my life and I am thankful (even at 45) to have good skin. You have an opportunity here. Be patient and don't give up in 3 months.

good luck!

Wow, this is extremely encouraging! I was worried that I might not be a good candidate but now you've convinced me that I was wrong (:

And, it may be too soon to tell, but before I was getting 2 new pimples everyday...but I havent gotten any new ones for the past 3 or 4 days. So I guess only time will tell if its the spiro working! Thanks again!

EFFICACY:

good luck!

Wow, tcjetsetter, that is exactly loke my story. I am glad to hear that you are on 200mgs and feel that it is safe. My skin is fantastic and no scars anymore. I am so happy and on the 5th month I was flawless . I have no more water weight too. Please keep in touch.

I am on my 3rd month of Spiro and for the first time in a long time I have no active cysts or anything on my face. It's a wonderful feeling. I'm on a very small dose of 50mg a day and it seems to be working for me at that strength. I too have lost 6 lbs, don't retain water or ever feel bloated and my hair and fingernails (even my eyelashes) have grown longer and thicker. my boobs have increased a cup size too. I love spiro. It's given me my confidence back and more. It's a miracle drug.

Just wanting to give everyone an update:

I was worried this wouldnt work, but 17 days into it and my cysts are totally under control along my jawline and cheek! I still have a few zits, but they are not the hard under the skin kind anymore! (:

Just wanting to give everyone an update:

I was worried this wouldnt work, but 17 days into it and my cysts are totally under control along my jawline and cheek! I still have a few zits, but they are not the hard under the skin kind anymore! (:

That is great news. What is your dosage?