Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HMS22

If I could do it over, I would chose a different route

I never really suffered from acne in my teens...I had the normal one or 2 pimples every now and again but it was nothing to worry about. When I was 20 I moved from California to Florida (almost 3 years ago) and my face started exploding with cystic acne. The only pictures I allowed to be taken of me were at the dermatologist office.

My acne was mainly on my cheeks and chin though I did have few on my forehead....and I don't mean just 6 or 7 cysts....I mean all over to where you couldn't even see normal skin....it was all large (ranging from the size of a dime to the size of a penny) red, puss filled cysts. Not only did I have cystic acne...my face was super inflamed as well. I tried pretty much everything under the sun and nothing seemed to work.

I was working as a server at a restaurant and had to stop working because every time I went in to work my tables would ask to get another server because "they didn't want the stuff on my face to fall off in their food". I received a different doctors card at least 4 times a day from random people along with the comments "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT?! ACNE??".

So a friend of mine had me come with her to her derma appointment to see if they might be able to do anything for me...right when the doc walked in she whisked me away to another room to do my consult for accutane. I was all for it because I didn't think I could take it anymore and she assured me that it would work.

I was on accutane for 5 months. Once I started taking it my acne got much worse...which in turn made me even more depressed. (It's normal for it to get worse before it gets better) As a side note, in my opinion it's not accutane that causes depression...its the acne and the rude people in the world that make you feel even worse about it. I experienced dry skin on my face, dry patches all over my body (mainly on my arms), dry lips, my scalp was super dry (which I'm still suffering from), and loss of elasticity in my skin.

Although it did clear up my acne, I was left with horrible scars, extreme redness, dry skin, eye problems, and absolutely no elasticity in my skin on my face.

If I could do it over again I would consider a different route...even though my skin in now acne free, the after effects aren't worth it. My mom became an esthetician shortly after I got off the accutane and I started "recovery treatment" with her. I was having stem cell treatments every month or so and micro-current treatments every 2 weeks which helped tremendously with my scarring, redness, dryness, and elasticity.

Unfortunately i don't live near my mom anymore, so I still have scarring and a little bit of redness. I'm desperately looking for a way to get rid of the scars...I just want to look normal again!! I'm tired of people telling me how bad I look!!

post-97802-1236278483_thumb.jpg

post-97802-1236278483_thumb.jpg

I never really suffered from acne in my teens...I had the normal one or 2 pimples every now and again but it was nothing to worry about. When I was 20 I moved from California to Florida (almost 3 years ago) and my face started exploding with cystic acne. The only pictures I allowed to be taken of me were at the dermatologist office.

My acne was mainly on my cheeks and chin though I did have few on my forehead....and I don't mean just 6 or 7 cysts....I mean all over to where you couldn't even see normal skin....it was all large (ranging from the size of a dime to the size of a penny) red, puss filled cysts. Not only did I have cystic acne...my face was super inflamed as well. I tried pretty much everything under the sun and nothing seemed to work.

I was working as a server at a restaurant and had to stop working because every time I went in to work my tables would ask to get another server because "they didn't want the stuff on my face to fall off in their food". I received a different doctors card at least 4 times a day from random people along with the comments "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT?! ACNE??".

So a friend of mine had me come with her to her derma appointment to see if they might be able to do anything for me...right when the doc walked in she whisked me away to another room to do my consult for accutane. I was all for it because I didn't think I could take it anymore and she assured me that it would work.

I was on accutane for 5 months. Once I started taking it my acne got much worse...which in turn made me even more depressed. (It's normal for it to get worse before it gets better) As a side note, in my opinion it's not accutane that causes depression...its the acne and the rude people in the world that make you feel even worse about it. I experienced dry skin on my face, dry patches all over my body (mainly on my arms), dry lips, my scalp was super dry (which I'm still suffering from), and loss of elasticity in my skin.

Although it did clear up my acne, I was left with horrible scars, extreme redness, dry skin, eye problems, and absolutely no elasticity in my skin on my face.

If I could do it over again I would consider a different route...even though my skin in now acne free, the after effects aren't worth it. My mom became an esthetician shortly after I got off the accutane and I started "recovery treatment" with her. I was having stem cell treatments every month or so and micro-current treatments every 2 weeks which helped tremendously with my scarring, redness, dryness, and elasticity.

Unfortunately i don't live near my mom anymore, so I still have scarring and a little bit of redness. I'm desperately looking for a way to get rid of the scars...I just want to look normal again!! I'm tired of people telling me how bad I look!!

God, some people are such jerks! I hate when people make fun of you just because you don't have perfect skin like they do. They're so obnoxious & snobby. I used to live in Florida as well and I find that people were snobby were I lived, and now that I moved, people seem much nicer. The audacity that people had to say that to you was rediculous... don't worry about it, hun. Hang in there!!

Love your hair color, by the way!