Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaelynGrace

When Darkness Turns to Light, It Ends Tonight

And so my Accutane Adventure Begins!

I went to the derm about a month ago and asked to be put on Accutane after years and years of antibiotics, topical creams, and birth control pills that did not work. I have had acne since I was around 15 but over the past year it has gotten much worse. I do not have any cysts but I do have many bumps and it is very red. My derm (a bit of a loopy guy) said yes to Accutane without any hesitation. I was also put on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo aroudn that time period too to help control my periods. I have had awful side effects from birth control in the past, and I could see them beginning happening again. I'm pretty sure my hormones do not like to be messed with. I did some research and found that you can get IB with BCP, I developed a lot of cysts (which I rarely get) especially along my jaw line. My acne got better after that for a few days, but now it is back to normal...I'm not sure if it was IB or not.

Well anyways, I went to the derm this morning to get my blood tested and my 2nd pregnancy test for iPledge. Well turns out, it had not been 30 days since my first pregnancy test AND they don't draw blood at my derm office. So, now on Monday I have to go to get my blood drawn at my doctors, then go to my derm to get my pregnancy test and then go fill my prescription.

Frustrating!

I'm really nervous to start! I'm terrified of IB because I'm embarrassed enough about my acne as it is. I feel like people are only looking at the imperfections in my face and not at me. As a junior in college I feel like I shouldn't have acne anymore, no one in my classes do when I look around the room and envy their skin.

I'm also nervous because I run 30-40 miles a week and am currenly training for a half marathon.

My derm mentioned that I would be put on 52 mg?? Is that even possible?? From what I read her everyone seems to have increments of 10 mg and it seems like the pills come in packs??? Well I hope it isn't too much to cause major joint and muscle pain. (I'm ~115 lbs)

Well this is all for now.

And so my Accutane Adventure Begins!

I went to the derm about a month ago and asked to be put on Accutane after years and years of antibiotics, topical creams, and birth control pills that did not work. I have had acne since I was around 15 but over the past year it has gotten much worse. I do not have any cysts but I do have many bumps and it is very red. My derm (a bit of a loopy guy) said yes to Accutane without any hesitation. I was also put on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo aroudn that time period too to help control my periods. I have had awful side effects from birth control in the past, and I could see them beginning happening again. I'm pretty sure my hormones do not like to be messed with. I did some research and found that you can get IB with BCP, I developed a lot of cysts (which I rarely get) especially along my jaw line. My acne got better after that for a few days, but now it is back to normal...I'm not sure if it was IB or not.

Well anyways, I went to the derm this morning to get my blood tested and my 2nd pregnancy test for iPledge. Well turns out, it had not been 30 days since my first pregnancy test AND they don't draw blood at my derm office. So, now on Monday I have to go to get my blood drawn at my doctors, then go to my derm to get my pregnancy test and then go fill my prescription.

Frustrating!

I'm really nervous to start! I'm terrified of IB because I'm embarrassed enough about my acne as it is. I feel like people are only looking at the imperfections in my face and not at me. As a junior in college I feel like I shouldn't have acne anymore, no one in my classes do when I look around the room and envy their skin.

I'm also nervous because I run 30-40 miles a week and am currenly training for a half marathon.

My derm mentioned that I would be put on 52 mg?? Is that even possible?? From what I read her everyone seems to have increments of 10 mg and it seems like the pills come in packs??? Well I hope it isn't too much to cause major joint and muscle pain. (I'm ~115 lbs)

Well this is all for now.

Hello. 52 mg? That's odd. And God, 30-40 miles a week? You must be really fit! To start off, Accutane DOES cause joint pain (I know from personal experience), and it increases the odds that you will since you'll be exercising so much. A lot of people take Omega 3 and etc for that annoying and persistant joint pain, so maybe look into something to help it if it starts. Remember to keep WELL hydrated because Accutane really dehydrates you, especially since you'll be running so much! Good luck!!

Thanks for the wishes KL Merciless

Well....tomorrow I go for my blood test.

QUESTION: Do you have to fast before a blood test for Accutane? When I made my appt, I said that it was for a fasting blood test to be on the safe side, but my derm never told me

After my blood test my derm said I could stop by the office for my prescription, so I will officially start Accutane tomorrow. Eek :dance:

Yes, anytime you are doing a blood test you have to fast. 12 hours is usually the standard amount of time. So basically don't eat anything after dinner and then no breakfast and you will be fine. Good luck with Tane!

Day 1

So my Accutane (well Claravis) adventure is off on a bad foot. :wall:

First I woke up and went to get my blood tested. I got lost and was 15 min late. I then went to my derm to get my script, the doc wasn't there so I went home, packed all my clothes up, and went back to the derm...waited 15 min got my script and drove 4.5 hours back to school.

I got to school and I went to drop my script off at Walgreens. They said I didn't do my questions for iPledge (my fault--but my derm told me I could just drop it off..in my defense) and so I went home, answered the questions, went back to Walgreens, dropped it off for real this time. Then I went to get some groceries, went back and it wasn't ready. Waited 20 min, was late for class so I left. Went to class for 3 hours, went back to Walgreens and they only had "half" my prescription. They gave me 30 mg for 30 days...which is what my derm prescribed. But it says 60 capsules on my prescription...so I'm suppose to go back to get the other half tomorrow. I think they messed up.

Well anyways, after all of that, I just took my first pill. Along with Omega 3 and a B complex vitamin.

I'm nervous for what is to come!

hey there!

wow! we started off the same day, same type (claravis), and are taking the same vitamins!!! :)

accutane buddies yes?? haha.

so are you supposed to be on 30mg or 60 mg/day?

and walgreens is totally being bull today! (they messed up mine too!)

Day 3

Well I just took my 3rd pill. I can't really tell I'm on this medication yet, my lips are just a bit dry..so I hope my side effects are minimal [Knock on wood]

Right now the left side of my face is better than normal, but the right side is awful. I have a lot of big red bumps. And I have a cyst on my chin. :think:

Nothing too interesting. Oh yes, my urine is bright yellow (sorry if that is tmi). I drink a ton of water, so maybe its these B complex vitamins I'm taking?? Possibly too many vitamins for my body? I'm not really sure.

Sorry this isn't too interesting. More to come...

Day 3

Well I just took my 3rd pill. I can't really tell I'm on this medication yet, my lips are just a bit dry..so I hope my side effects are minimal [Knock on wood]

Right now the left side of my face is better than normal, but the right side is awful. I have a lot of big red bumps. And I have a cyst on my chin. :think:

Nothing too interesting. Oh yes, my urine is bright yellow (sorry if that is tmi). I drink a ton of water, so maybe its these B complex vitamins I'm taking?? Possibly too many vitamins for my body? I'm not really sure.

Sorry this isn't too interesting. More to come...

Eff Walgreens! They gave me a bunch of crap . started Accutane just about the same time you do too. I run no where near as long as you do. I do 10 mile so a week and work out. So far no side effects with achy joints.

I do drinks lots of water though, im sure you already know that.

Good luck!

hEY can I join the accutane buddy club too!

I started on Monday as well, on 40mg/day, Claravis. I have mild but persistent acne. I'm 27/f. It took me awhile to get started b/c my derm forgot to fill out my labs on ipledge, I could've started on March 4th. But I guess there's always some drama in the beginning we have to go thru in order to get this stuff. I'm so happy to finally be taking it! Sooo I wish you all well on your accutane course! I'm totally anxious to get this party started.

Buzz-Eff Walgreens is right! I went there 4 times in 2 days. Ciaobella told me to sell my extra Accutane :razz: I am a poor college kid....hehe JUST KIDDING

tbooth-iPledge drives me crazy!!! thank you for the wishes--good luck to you too!!

Day 4

Soooo...I wasn't going to update today, but in the middle of philosophy (yuck) I realized that I had a gigantic zit in my ear. Now that I know it's there I keep touching it and it's quite painful. I think I'm also developing a fever blister inside my mouth (which I never get)

The left side of my face is still ok, the right side feels puffy and inflamed.

I'm kind of nervous for my IB to start, I'm going home in one week and I don't want to have 572 cysts on my face.

By the way--did I mention I'm asking for clear skin for my 21st birthday?? My derm said 5 months, just in time for the big 2-1

hey there buddyyy! :)

eek ouch! hopefully the tane in your system will get rid of that ear zit quickly!

those are hard to treat and are probably the most painful out of all of them...except for maybe on the eyelid..? is that even possible? ;) haha. that would suck major balls...let's hope we never grow them there!

your 21st birthday is gonna be amazing...go clubbing with your FLAWLESS FACE! :)

Day 6

Ear Zit = Gone :dance:

My face and lips are really drying out. My acne is all still here, except in the place I do not have acne my skin looks fantastic (which by the way is not a lot of my face...) :(

I went for my first long run since being on Accutane. No joint pain thus far! I hope my Omega 3s are doing their job!!!

The past 3 days I've jumped in the shower right after I've run. I keep face wash in there (cetaphill) and when I wash my face it BURNS. Really bad. Then I put my face lotion on and it's the same burning feeling! I put moisturizer that has spf 30 on before I run...and at night when I wash my face it doesn't burn. I think my skin is just getting super sensitive.

So random story: I took my little anti prego lady tab and tucked it into my roommate's birth control pack to be funny. She ended up lecturing me on going on Accutane saying that the side effects were too much of a risk. If only she knew what it was like to always have to hide behind make up...

Day 8

Holy Dryness! My face seems to be sucking up face lotion and it doesn't seem to be doing anything! My lips feel super dry too but are not chapped. I've been putting on Aquaphor every 30 min or so.

I've been having some back pain as well. Aye.

I really don't want IB to start. Anyone have any idea when that will be??

I'm seeing a cute boy this weekend :wub: and I'd prefer not to have a face full of ginormous cysts.

Hey there kaelynGrace!

I am also on Accutane, started on 2/26 and I am experiencing the dreaded IB.... :wall:

Mine started around the 15 day of treatment. I got small pimples on my left cheek (which is not typically what I get when I break out) so I am hoping and praying :pray: that my IB is finally subsiding...now I have 1 active and red marks/scabs... :cry:

Everyone is different. Hopefully, your IB will come and go quickly...keep us posted and best of luck ;);)

Day 9

Well I've controlled the dryness--kind of. I love Aquaphor. :wub:

I went for a run this morning, my back is aching but I think I'm going to see the chiropractor on Friday.

In the words of Lady Gaga, "Just dance, gonna be ok...ba do do doo mm" :)

--On the Bright Side--

My acne seems a lot less red than it did when I started my course.

Efitalian: Thanks for your words of encouragement! I hope your IB ends soon.

aquaphor is genius!!

it is awesomeness...in a tube! or tub, depending on which one you have haha.

hooray for les redness!!

lady gaga is so out there! she's always so confident...and drunk all the time, but confident all the same :) her songs are sooo chill heehee.

hope the cute boy thing goes well this weekend!

maybe since we're both drying out so much we won't get an IB?? :pray::pray::pray:

:lol:

Day 11

Well I could feel a lovely little guy under my skin that wanted to see the world on my chin for about the past week, and this morning he finally popped out. :naughty:

I feel like the rest of my face looked kinda of bleh too. One of those craw in a hole and hide or borrow a hockey goalie's stinky face mask days.

But, good news I don't feel anything else under my skin.

So Bella, No IB would be FANTASTIC.

While I was driving today I started to think, what if I'm one of the people that Accutane doesn't work for! Ahhh! :( I hope not!

Day 14

Sooo I was busy all afternoon yesterday and I forgot to take my pill. I got home at 2:30, slightly intoxicated and decided to not continue to kill my liver by taking my pill. So I guess you could really say Day 13. :naughty:

Other than that, my jawline has been really itchy lately and my lips have been extremely extremely dry. When I wake up in the morning my lips are so dry that it is quite painful.

My face is alright. Nothing good or bad to say about it I suppose.

When my step-monster was on accutane [she's really not bad...I'm not sure why I refer to her as my step-monster] was on the Tane she said she could see results within a week. I know, I know, I know--eveyrone is different. I'm just jealous!

So cute boy asks me if I want to hang out on Thursday night, I was tired and asked if we could hang out tomorrow instead. He said yes. But then decided he wanted to stop by to say hi--AFTER i washed my face and took off all my make up! :ninja: He probably thinks I'm psycho for the way I kind of freaked out and wanted to crawl in a hole and never come out. I probably acted extremely uncomfortable...aye. I WANT CLEAR SKIN!

It is gorgeous outside today. If it is gorgeous by you--I hope you enjoy the weather!

Day 16

I don't want to speak to soon BUT my skin is starting to look halfway decent.

I went for a run and halfway through it started raining pretty hard. I thought, oh no...all my make up is going to run off my face. I even went in the side door to my apartment so I wouldn't run into anyone I know. I got back and looked in the mirror and thought that my skin looked decent. Then I thought that maybe my makeup didn't run off, so I washed my face and used make up remover and my skin still looked alright! I just don't want to get excited and then go through an awful IB!

My nose is sooooo dry. I put moisturizer on and it just gets all flaky again. My lips are sucking up Aquaphor too. I find it funny that every time I update my log my tube of Aquaphor is sitting right next to my keyboard. For the past 16 days I have not gone anywhere without it!

Well its still raining so I think I'm going to curl up with a book, blanket, and a cup of tea. :)

P.S. Is anyone still reading this??

heyy there!

nice! congrats on the skin :)

hey, what do you know, maybe you'll end up not even having an IB!

it's still rainy here in the city too :( that sounds like a good idea!

have fun and hope your skin only gets better from here!

:)

yay for good skin :] that's amazing, and i'm so happy for you. :dance:

i know what you mean about chapstick. i have a tub of vaseline in my room that i slab on religiously and then aquaphor and 10 other kinds of chapsticks scattered through my purse and at school so i'm never without it. i had to go an hour without it tonight at a ceremony i had, i wanted to cry. we had to smile for a whole bunch of pictures and i felt them cracking and pleading for help.

Day 19

Question:

Why does Accutane not come with a little phamplet that says:

Day 1: Nothing happens.

Day 2: Dry Lips

Day 3: Dry Lips and Face

Day X: Initial Break Out

Day X: Black Heads

Day x: Clear Skin!!!

How much easier would it be to know what was coming!!!!!!

So yesterday I went to class, and I forgot my Aquaphor!!! Eek! It was AWFUL. I kept biting my lips and they were all inflamed and cracked when I got home. Ouch.

I also have a little paper cut on my right hand pointer finer. My skin splits open every time I press down on a key. Ouch.

I've been having some back pain this past week. Its kind of a bummer. I took yesterday off of running. I may go out for a quick 20 min jog today and see how it feels. But I've been doing some stretches to make it feel better. I walk around like an old person. Ouch.

Only one new active on my face. A tiny little guy along my jaw line, close to my ear. Which gets covered by hair :) My left side looks alright, actually pretty good with make up, minus a little dry dry brown patch in the middle. Right side is ehhh. In general, the redness has faded tremendously, and my face is no longer as bumpy. I go to sleep and am scared to look in the mirror in the morning in fear of seeing 529 cysts on my face.

Yay Fridays! :dance:

walgreens messed mine up, too. i'm supposed to take 50mg and they only had 40 in stock and said they would have to order the 10. so i went ahead and got the 40 and figured they would call me when my other prescription came in like most other pharmacies do. well, they never did call, so i went up there on my last day ipledge would let me fill it and they had no idea where my prescription (and ipledge card) went because they LOST both. then they told me they "didn't know what to do" and i would have to get another prescription from my doctor because they couldn't just call him. walgreens sucks.

yay for no new actives :dance: i know what you mean about going to bed though haha. sadly. i'm go to bed and when i wake up in the morning i'm anxious/nervous to see what my skin has done over night.