Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just wanted to share my recent success with Vitamin D. By no means do I consider this a complete cure for my breakouts but it has certainly helped. I'm taking 1,000 IU a day and occasionally get a few minutes of sun exposure a day walking to class, although it's been bad out lately. I also started to drink cow's milk again which is vitamin D fortified and organic. Generally I've never gotten bad reactions from cow's milk, in fact, I drank it a ton in high school(not to mention a crappy brand) and I had perfect skin back then. I think it's funny when people generalize milk as always being bad for the skin, it's highly nutritious and healthy in moderate amounts.

I wish I found this out earlier in the winter. I think I've always had some kind of lack of vitamin D for the past few years due to not going outside a ton and my diet not really including it. So far I've seen reduced dryness/flaking, a better overall complexion and marks are healing faster after a short period of time. Once spring/summer rolls around I'll probably stop taking it and just start going out every day but for now it's still freezing and nasty out so I'll continue taking it.

congrats man. doesnt it feel good to look in the mirror and not analyze every part of your face with disgust?

i can't wait for spring break. so much sun!

Just wanted to share my recent success with Vitamin D. By no means do I consider this a complete cure for my breakouts but it has certainly helped. I'm taking 1,000 IU a day and occasionally get a few minutes of sun exposure a day walking to class, although it's been bad out lately. I also started to drink cow's milk again which is vitamin D fortified and organic. Generally I've never gotten bad reactions from cow's milk, in fact, I drank it a ton in high school(not to mention a crappy brand) and I had perfect skin back then. I think it's funny when people generalize milk as always being bad for the skin, it's highly nutritious and healthy in moderate amounts.

I wish I found this out earlier in the winter. I think I've always had some kind of lack of vitamin D for the past few years due to not going outside a ton and my diet not really including it. So far I've seen reduced dryness/flaking, a better overall complexion and marks are healing faster after a short period of time. Once spring/summer rolls around I'll probably stop taking it and just start going out every day but for now it's still freezing and nasty out so I'll continue taking it.

I'm glad to hear vit D is helping, 1000 IU is a pretty low dose though because if my memory is good your skin can produces up to 10.000 IU from like 15 minutes of sun exposure.

When did you started taking it?

I think that's 10,000 IU from 15 minutes of full sun exposure.

But 1,000 probably isn't enough for your body to have all it really needs. Vitamin D researchers think your body doesn't begin to store it until you have 50 ng/ml in the blood. My multi has 2,000 IU of D3 which I had been taking for about 6 months when my levels were tested and they were only 36.4.

Wild caught oily fish like salmon are a far better source for D than milk, btw.

I think that's 10,000 IU from 15 minutes of full sun exposure.

But 1,000 probably isn't enough for your body to have all it really needs. Vitamin D researchers think your body doesn't begin to store it until you have 50 ng/ml in the blood. My multi has 2,000 IU of D3 which I had been taking for about 6 months when my levels were tested and they were only 36.4.

Wild caught oily fish like salmon are a far better source for D than milk, btw.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe I could be taking more but these results have been pretty obvious after using just 1,000 IU a day. I haven't seen areas of my skin, mainly my marks, look this good in so long so it must be the D3, I haven't changed anything else really. It could be because I've lacked it for so long that even just 1,000 IU is having an effect.

Maybe I can up it to 2,000 a day and see if anything else happens but for now I'll keep it at this. Only 1 new breakout since using it and it was from irritation, which is negligible.

even just 1,000 IU is having an effect

It's not impossible. The vitamin D3 you take that floats around in your plasma doesn't really do much of anything. When the body needs D3 to actually affect cells, it has to tack on an extra small molecule, which some refer to as "activating" the Vitamin D. Some researchers believe there is a homeostatic system such that local tissues, if they detect that plasma levels of "inactive" Vitamin D are dropping, simply stop "using up" any Vitamin D by activating it. (That's why the Vitamin D Council wants you to measure your levels, and keep them up all year 'round.) Such systems exist throughout the body. For example, when your kidneys decide that there's a drop in the oxygen levels of your blood, they send out a hormone to your bone marrow telling it to start making more red blood cells to carry more oxygen.

So anyway, it's possible that your serum levels were dropping (well, that part's likely in the winter if you take no Vitamin D) and that 1,000 IU is enough to make serum levels level off, and that that in turn started some tissues actually being willing to "use" Vitamin D by "activating" it. So, 1,000IU might not be enough to keep your bones from slowing leaching away, or to drop your odds of various cancers and other diseases by much, but it might be enough to see some clinically significant effect.

I think it's funny when people generalize milk as always being bad for the skin, it's highly nutritious and healthy in moderate amounts.

It's just that milk is proven (a word that can rarely be applied to anything about acne) to worsen acne for a significant percentage of acne sufferers. Since you're obviously in the lucky percentage that it doesn't affect, drink up! A tiny part of the money you spend on milk will end up funding Vitamin D research, so it's a win-win! :D

I agree that Vitamin D has an impact on acne, but it is different for everyone. I have been struggling with hormonal acne for some time now. We all know the benefits of drinking milk. However, for me personally, milk has been the CAUSE of my acne. My entire life I have been a loyal milk drinker. I have had acne for a long time and just recently did research concerning diet and acne. I read a lot about milk possibly causing SOME people with acne prone skin to break out because of the excess hormones in the milk (I believe my acne is hormonal). I have been milk-free for a month now and have had only one pimple compared to the usual new cystic pimple every day! I know that the milk has to be the cause and I wish I would have known sooner! I am really happy to hear that more vitamin D is helping your skin. I just wanted to make sure others were aware that milk doesn't necessarily HELP or HURT everyone. For me, milk was the root cause of my problems.

I agree that Vitamin D has an impact on acne, but it is different for everyone. I have been struggling with hormonal acne for some time now. We all know the benefits of drinking milk. However, for me personally, milk has been the CAUSE of my acne. My entire life I have been a loyal milk drinker. I have had acne for a long time and just recently did research concerning diet and acne. I read a lot about milk possibly causing SOME people with acne prone skin to break out because of the excess hormones in the milk (I believe my acne is hormonal). I have been milk-free for a month now and have had only one pimple compared to the usual new cystic pimple every day! I know that the milk has to be the cause and I wish I would have known sooner! I am really happy to hear that more vitamin D is helping your skin. I just wanted to make sure others were aware that milk doesn't necessarily HELP or HURT everyone. For me, milk was the root cause of my problems.

Yeah, I should clear up what I said before. I understand that milk breaks a lot of people out. I just meant I disagree with people who generalize milk as being bad for everyone and always causing acne. I've seen that claim made a lot on this forum, whereas it's only been beneficial for me, amongst others..

I wanted to share that I've continued taking Vitamin D and I've upped the dosage to 2,000 IU a day. This hasn't made any very significant changes over my previous 1,000 IU intake but it is certainly still keeping my skin at bay for the most part. I still have some dryness/flakiness and some dead skin buildup due to the cold weather but other than that I rarely breakout anymore. My only breakouts come from irritation, which is usually my girlfriend touching my face. If the irritation is taken out of the equation I probably wouldn't breakout at all and all I'd have would be left over marks, which aren't too bad.

Right now I have one active under-the-skin zit on my cheek. This is my first real zit in a very long time and it was certainly from irritation. I don't think it'll even come to a head actually but I may be wrong. Either way, once the spring/summer come I should see the dryness/dead skin disappear so I'm hoping my breakouts can still be kept in check. It's looking good. Not to mention I'll also get more sun exposure in the spring/summer so I'm excited. I only see my skin getting better from here, as long as it doesn't get too irritated from outside factors.

I also wanna add that I've been drinking a lot of milk(cow's) every day and it still hasn't caused any breakouts so I think I'm clear on milk effecting my acne. I mostly drink it for the protein and the extra natural Vitamin D and I love it as a drink. I don't necessarily recommend starting to drink cow's milk if you're acne prone but I certainly recommend trying to take some Vitamin D every day, especially if you look back this winter(or even in the past years) and don't remember getting much sun exposure or vitamin D intake.

Is this all you're doing for your skin? I've been taking 1000 iu a day, and i'm considering bumping it up to 2000 because as of right now I get 0 sunlight every day. And I mean, absolutely zero.

I wash once or twice a day with water only and usually moisturize with jojoba oil and occasionally a hyaluronic acid-based night creme(from dermaE). I add the moisture because of the dry winter out here, it's just temporary. These products don't break me out, they just reduce flakiness and help protect and tone a bit. In the spring/summer my skin is always much healthier so I usually just use water and occasionally throw something on overnight for good measure. Simple regimens are the best.

Other than the Vitamin D I'm also taking Udo's Oil which is a blend of Omega 3/6/9 fatty acids but doesn't have fish/cod oil in it. It's nice because it gives the perfect 2 to 1 ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6/9 and other than flax, has some other really nice oils in it. Link to it is here: http://udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm it can be gotten at Whole Foods. I think the oil has helped a little but the Vitamin D has had the most noticeable results of any supplement I've ever used.

I also definitely watch what I eat but I also eat junk food here and there without any new breakouts. Overall I think I'm pretty resilient when it comes to diet and acne, unless I'm eating massive amounts of sugar and fast food, which I never do. Also I may as well add it here that cabbage, specifically red cabbage is awesome.

I also definitely watch what I eat but I also eat junk food here and there without any new breakouts. Overall I think I'm pretty resilient when it comes to diet and acne, unless I'm eating massive amounts of sugar and fast food, which I never do. Also I may as well add it here that cabbage, specifically red cabbage is awesome.

Sulfur containing veggies like cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc., are extremely beneficial in a number of ways and should not be discounted in your improvement.

Sulfur containing veggies like cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc., are extremely beneficial in a number of ways and should not be discounted in your improvement.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it has actually helped yet. I just began eating it a lot a few nights ago, way after I began taking Vitamin D but I'm hoping it can also help in some way.

Is this all you're doing for your skin? I've been taking 1000 iu a day, and i'm considering bumping it up to 2000 because as of right now I get 0 sunlight every day. And I mean, absolutely zero.

I would suggest bumping your dosage up to 4,000-5,000 IU for like 3 months and then go have your Vitamin D levels checked at your doctor. Most people's Vitamin D levels are nowhere near where they ought to be unless they live where they spend a good amount of their time outdoors in the sun.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Also I would suggest taking an oil based softgel of Vitamin D instead of tablet or capsule form. I saw that mentioned several times when doing some research on doses of Vitamin D other people were taking. A few mentioned seeing a much faster jump in their Vitamin D levels when taking an oil based gel cap vs taking other Vitamin D supplements that were hard coated.

I haven't gotten any sunlight for a long time either. I started taking 5,000 IU of D3 per day on Saturday. If anything significant happens, I'll log it here.

i posted a reply on the vitamin sub-forum but i'll add it here too!

i've been taking vitamin D3 for a few weeks and i've seen a significant improvement :dance:

it's definitely not stopping all new spots from forming, but i'm getting FAR fewer, and the ones that do come up are really tiny in comparison to what i was getting before taking it.

i'm currently taking 1000IU tablets of D3, one in the day and one in the evening. i may even up this to 3 tablets, making 3000IU per day.

oh, and since this improvement my diet has been TERRIBLE, as i have moved cities and am staying on people's sofas, so i can't demand to them what i eat at the moment. So i've had improved skin with a bad diet (and lots of alcohol). I love D3!!! :clap:

Milk is terrible, it actually takes calcium from your body. It is not designed to be digested by humans and is stripped of nutrition through pasteurization. Not to mention the hormones and chemicals present from the poor treatment of cows. Last but not least these cows are usually grain fed, making for a poor Omega 3/Omega 6 balance.

Milk is terrible, it actually takes calcium from your body. It is not designed to be digested by humans and is stripped of nutrition through pasteurization. Not to mention the hormones and chemicals present from the poor treatment of cows. Last but not least these cows are usually grain fed, making for a poor Omega 3/Omega 6 balance.

Meh, there are tons of studies that actually show that the hormones used on cows don't even effect humans because small amounts end up in the milk that don't synthesize much in humans, if at all. There's an entire branch of independent research being done on it.

But even if it does, I don't get milk that is from cows given hormones because I don't think it's right in the first place. I get organic, hormone-free milk. Milk has never caused breakouts for me or really anybody I know in real life. Perhaps some people don't get effected. And aside from the whole skin thing, milk is actually very nutritious and healthy in moderate amounts. It certainly can cause breakouts but not everyone is effected that way.

I get organic, hormone-free milk.

How can you get milk from a dead cow? Or rather, how could a cow be alive enough to give milk and not have the same complement of cow hormones coursing through its blood (and many in its milk also) that all cows have? A hormone-free cow is a dead cow.

Part 2 of that question is: why would anyone with the least concern about "hormones" think that drinking unpasteurized milk is "healthier"? At least with pasteurization, you have a shot at getting the normal cow hormones broken down by the heat.

Milk is designed to make babies grow fast, and it comes out of the mother (human or cow) complete with all-natural, organic, holistic... HORMONES! :D

I get organic, hormone-free milk.

How can you get milk from a dead cow? Or rather, how could a cow be alive enough to give milk and not have the same complement of cow hormones coursing through its blood (and many in its milk also) that all cows have? A hormone-free cow is a dead cow.

Part 2 of that question is: why would anyone with the least concern about "hormones" think that drinking unpasteurized milk is "healthier"? At least with pasteurization, you have a shot at getting the normal cow hormones broken down by the heat.

Milk is designed to make babies grow fast, and it comes out of the mother (human or cow) complete with all-natural, organic, holistic... HORMONES! :D

Yeah..I know that hormones from the actual cow are in the milk but what I meant is that there are no added hormones to the cow. There is still even debate whether cow hormones have a substantial effect on humans. Either way, it's never effected my skin negatively. I stopped drinking it for years after all the scare thinking it was doing something but looking back on it I never broke out from drinking it and if anything it's helped my skin. With that said, I'm not condoning that people with acne prone skin go and drink it, I was just adding that I started drinking it without side effects. It's a decent source of vitamin D and for people that aren't sensitive to it, it's very nutritious and healthy in moderation.

I don't want to derail this into a milk thread, I just wanted to share my success with supplementing vitamin D.