Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iamconformist

Moisturizer concerns

I've been on Accutane for two months now and have been experiencing the typical dryness associated with the medication. I have been using Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream (the one in the tub) on my face after every wash, and Vaseline Total Moisture Conditioning body lotion on the rest of my body.

A few days ago I was running late and accidentally put the Vaseline lotion on my face. I found that I actually liked the feeling more than the Cetaphil because it is a thinner moisturizer and seems to absorb a lot quicker than the Cetaphil. Plus, I usually get very red in the face after applying Cetaphil moisturizer, but the Vaseline lotion made this go away much quicker.

I have used the Vaseline cream a few times since then and like it, but I am concerned that it's clogging my pores because it is not specifically stated to be non-comedogenic. I'm still experiencing some IB from the tane, so I can't really tell if any active acne is being caused by that or the Vaseline lotion.

Should I keep using the Cetaphil or is the Vaseline lotion an acceptable replacement?

Thanks!!

i would say avoid the vaseline on the face and maybe look around for other moisturizers that are non comedogenic. Maybe try the olay spf moisturizer. I dont know there are a lot of them. I use the cetaphil moisturizer as well and kind of experience slight redness after application like u do but never thought much of it cause it goes away soon after. If you find a good moisturizer let us know cause id be interested in trying it out.

Maybe you should try CeraVe lotion, you can find it a Walgreens. A lot of people on this forum love it and most derms will recommend it for people on Accutane.

The reason is because it is a lotion. Lotion is thinner then cream. It goes from lotion to cream to ointment, ointment being the thickest. There is a ton of lotion for the face that is non-comedogenic.

I know it doesn't sound like it would be true, but petroleum jelly (Vaseline) is non-comedogenic. Not only did my dermatologist confirm this, but she actually suggested using it if my face/body got particularly dry. If you think about it, tons of people on here put Aquaphor on their faces, and that is almost completely made up of petroleum jelly. There are a ton of topics that I found here about this, as well. Just use the search terms, "Vaseline non-comedogenic".

Remember that just because something is non-comedogenic doesn't mean that it won't break some people out. It just depends on the person. :)

I found the ingredients list for the body lotion you're using:

Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Glycol Stearate, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil or Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Protein, Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Carbomer, Lecithin, Keratin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium PCA, Potassium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Collagen Amino Acids, Mineral Water, Fragrance, Triethanolamine, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Urea, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Disodium EDTA, Titanium Dioxide

You can check them against either of the two following websites for problematic ingredients:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

I did a cursory look-through of some of the ingredients and the isopropyl palmitate ranks high as a comedogenic ingredient, so it may not be good for the face as it is also the sixth ingredient meaning it has a higher concentration than ones listed below it.