Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
owl

Smoothbeam laser for 2004

hey everybody

acne.org is a great database for smoothbeam info, but the majority of it seems to be 6-9 months ago, and not much as of late.

now, i've read A TON about this on here, and i've got to admit, it's pretty mixed. Some people say it's a waste of time, while others say it's helped them -- whether it be active acne, scars, or both -- tremendously.

being someone that always has hope, i wonder if the people that said this didn't work had bad experiences with practitioners who didn't really know what they were doing? Or maybe practitioners have learned more since they posted months ago?

and on the other hand, i wonder if those that it did help either: a) only had scars but no active acne, or b) had mild acne.

Basically, how are all you people that posted about smoothbeam 6-12 months ago doing now? Has anyone had it very recently that it's affected very postively or negatively?

sorry for the randomness

peace in the middle east

owl

Hey everyone! This is my first post on here. biggrin.gif/

Anyways,

I just had my first Smoothbeam treatment TODAY, about 20 minutes ago. Of course, before I set my appointment I sifted through the 100's of posts on this board. I see that lots of people have been happy with their results (which is why I decided to give it a try) but others did not see much of a change. I'm wondering if the people who are dissapointed have anything in common---namely a lower joule setting or not as many zaps?? And for all that are happy, what was your setting and how many zaps did you get? How many treatments before you saw results?

As for me, I'm worried. Of course--, having only just barely finished my 1st treatment I can't see any difference. But my face is not even red or anything---Is that normal? I'm worried that they did not go aggressive enough. She had it on 9 joules and about 300ish zaps total. From what I've read on here, this is on the lower/weaker end. Has anyone seen results on those settings?

And if anyone has any ?'s for me I'll be happy to answer!

Brina Bean... What's your ethnicity? If you could choose a Fitzpatrick skin type, what do you think yours would be...?

I'm asking becasue, well, as long as your skin can take it, you should be having treatments at 14 joules. Not 9. Your skin should very red after a smoothbeam.

P.S. Of course, if you're asian or hispanic, you've got to have them done at a lower setting, or you risk hyperpigementation and blistering. I'm not sure it's advisable for dark skin really..

Hey Gold Rex! So have you done it(smoothbeam) already?

I am of mixed heritage, white+mexican. Anyone who looks at me can see that I'm white as can be, but I tan easily so I wonder if that could be a hyperpigmentation warning.

So other people are starting at 14 joules?!? I thought I read that many start at 11-12ish and work their way up from there. That makes me worried that my practioner is going to waste my time and money by being too wimpy on me. What are they afraid I'm gonna sue or something? I want them to hurt me, no pain no gain right!

How many joules did everyone else start with?

I was started at 12 joules. And then I jumped to 14 joules, because another doctor I saw told me that there was no reason to start so low with skin like mine. I also saw the start of great improvement with him. smile.gif

I dunno, Brina. I know that girls have thinner skin, so perhaps you can start low... But I would say that 9 is pretty inappropriate. Maybe your doctor knows something about your skin that I don't (perhaps, even though you look very white, your hispanic heritage is a marker for some other genetic thing? Perhaps you'll blister more?)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Rex you say "skin like mine" What do you mean by that? What is your ethnicity?

Do you have an actual doctor doing your treatments, or did he send you to an aesthetician? Perhaps the aestheticians are not trained to use the higher settings...

The start of great improvement you say? That's good news! How many have you had and how long has it been?

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

I started with 10, went up to 11, 12, 13, 14.5

South East Asian male.

Hey Obi! So did they start you off at a 10 because asian skin might hyperpigment? Did you ask them to up the dosage at each visit or did they do that?

Have all these treatments helped you alot? (If you've answered all this stuff before, just refer me to where I might find it.)

All you guys, don't be too shy to write me a whole book on your experience. I really want to know everything.

Hi Brina Bean,

I had my first SB on 14 by an inexperienced practitioner (my skin is very fair). I blistered VERY badly and it took 2 weeks to heal. She then kicked the next 3 tx down to 10 and wouldn't increase at all. She refused to do anymore than 4 tx and I had no improvement. I found another place that has done SB since it came out; I have had 3 tx @ #13, #13.5 & #14 with little or no blisters. They said if you get alot of half-moon shaped blisters it's because the handpiece is being applied at an angle instead of directly flat on the skin. Anyway, I have seen very mild improvement (they are also doing microdermabrasion in between SB tx) so far but the oiliness of my skin has decreased dramatically. I am also using a collagen producing solution on a daily basis; I'm older than most of the people posting on this board so it may take longer for my collagen to increase but I'm being patient. Good luck with your tx!!!

Brina, I would probably say that I'm a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale. I'm all northern, northwestern European. And yes, I do think smoothbeam is a great tool. Directly after a treatment, my scars look worse, but once I hit the week mark I can start to see things filling in. Note that I've only had two treatments are 14-- the first was at 12 joules, and that, in my opinion, did nothing for me.

I'm prepared to do 7-10 smoothbeams if I need to. I am not ruling out the possibility of needling, needle undermining, etc, either... But I have ruled out all phenol peels, and all high percentage TCA peels. I just do not feel comfortable doing that to myself, nor do I have the downtime (and I'm not willing to go outside with scabs on my face). And I don't want to risk permanently blanching my skin.

Also, I've had a vbeam done, and that was a nice procedure, too. I think that was at 12 joules.

Hi everyone, As most of you know very fair skin ( type 1 ) is the best responder. Also the "joules" setting is not the only factor, there is also fluence which is the amount of time in milliseconds that the beam flashes. Both are important. With my Alexandrite laser ( for hair removal ) we use 20 joules and up, with a 2msec pulse.