Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoSomething

how old are you?

Just wondering the ages of the people here? This forum is clearly for scar healing, so those that are here looking for help are obviously self conscious of their scars. Im 19 just turned, i would say my scars are pretty bad at times and can put me down pretty low. But everyday i find myself coping with my scars better then last, rather then a daily struggle like the past.

Just turned 18 and my scars are extremely bad after 5-6 years of severe acne. I'm actually fealing worse about my scars everday even tho they have been slowly getting better...

I'm 19.

I'm grateful that my scars are not necessarily very deep (or to put it better - it's not the particularly deep ones that concern me as much as they could), but I am bothered by the fact that my whole face is literally covered with scarring. Not just one type either - ice picks on my cheeks with rolling scars and box scars situated underneath, and raised scars on the sides of my chin (with bad skin texture and shallower scars all over and inbetween). Because it's so widespread, the difference between seeing myself in good lighting vs. bad lighting is immense and hard for me to come to terms with. I think if they were mostly confined to one location, even if greater in depth, I'd find it easier to cope with.

What I find most difficult, is the fact that I've never properly known myself with clear or unscarred skin, having had acne from about 11 onwards with the scars immediately revealing themselves as that cleared up... I feel as though had I a few teenage years with good skin, I'd have had the opportunity to form a more solid sense of self-esteem and confidence. As it is, I've pretty much always felt disgusted and uncomfortable with my appearance because of these skin problems that are all I've ever known. As such, I don't think my personality ever fully had a chance to grow because all this was such a struggle for me to deal with. I feel very mentally and emotionally stunted.

Trying to look on the positive side, as I get older I'm finding that the added maturity is in some ways helping me cope better with my scars (and also, I'm becoming more proactive about actually doing something about my skin - e.g. finally sought a referral to see Dr. Chu at Hammersmith). Yet at the same time, I have to say that my 'lows' and bouts of deep depression are becoming worse.

I can relate to you Jimhouse, definately, about the ups and downs of it all...

I'm 27. I've had scars since i was 18-19. I feel like scarring and acne in general stole me many years but it's just recently (4-5 years) that i've rediscovereded ways of enjoying life again.

I'm a 27 y.o. female who's been dealing with acne for about 13 years. I have so many scars that even when I am relatively clear, acne-wise, I still won't leave the house without makeup. The scars are the worst on my forehead and cheeks. Fortunately, the majority of my scars are smooth not pitted, so it's much easier to cover with makeup. (I highly recommend Everyday Minerals! Great coverage without irritating my sensitive, acne-prone skin.)

What kind of treatments are there for discoloration-type scars? I only have 1 or 2 bad ice-pick scars, which I know can be filled it, but the majority are discoloration. If I were to take a pic with no makeup, you'd swear my face was covered in acne, but right now I only have a few pimples. It sucks.