Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
luckymee

Septra Question!

so i've been taking septra for almost 2 months and it's worked great for me. i cleared up within DAYS it was amazing. no side effects. But here i am nearly 2 months later and i wake up and every muscle in my body is aching, my joints hurt, and i have chest pain. Could this be like a delayed allergic reaction or would i have already noticed the first time i took it? I also started breaking out a little again today...which i haven't AT ALL in the past 2 months. Am i becoming immune or allergic? This is the only thing that over the past 3 years has worked for me. I know i can't stay on antibiotics forever but i surely thought more than 2 months!! Do you think that Accutane should be the next step? i'm going to the derm next week. lots of questions i know but i would really appreciate some feedback! thanks =)

so i've been taking septra for almost 2 months and it's worked great for me. i cleared up within DAYS it was amazing. no side effects. But here i am nearly 2 months later and i wake up and every muscle in my body is aching, my joints hurt, and i have chest pain. Could this be like a delayed allergic reaction or would i have already noticed the first time i took it? I also started breaking out a little again today...which i haven't AT ALL in the past 2 months. Am i becoming immune or allergic? This is the only thing that over the past 3 years has worked for me. I know i can't stay on antibiotics forever but i surely thought more than 2 months!! Do you think that Accutane should be the next step? i'm going to the derm next week. lots of questions i know but i would really appreciate some feedback! thanks =)

bump...come on guys i need some advice!!! please!!

Ok. I will say that if your acne looks more like little low-grade chicken pocks; very few or no nodules, then you are probably better off staying away from accutane. If your affected area has more than twenty pustules on the average, you might consider it. Usually the nodules are the type that make pock scars. So, try and get through this. Anyhow, I have been on accutane twice, it worked great, but maybe some of the problem things that are going on now could have been boosted by using accutane twenty years ago. I had bad cystic acne.. Just be tough and try and search through all the alternatives you can before going on accutane. This is just my opinion, I have no medical background and don't really like to give advice, just voice my opinion. As for the antibiotic, you definitely should let you doc know of any symptoms that do not seem good.. i used minocin recently and tetracycline years ago. In both cases the acne came back. Perhaps seemingly worse...

snugs

I took alot of antibiotics about a year and a half worth and I was clear. Septra did work for me also, after 1 day i could feel all my pimples go away, took it for 6 months then got immune to it. The point is these antibiotics gave me alot of symptoms that I tried to ignore, never got chest pain though, mostly dizzyness, fatigue, aches, nauseated, alot of other things I cant remember, I would have to take a nap during lunch time because it was intensed.

If i could do it all again, I would just go straight to accutane. I am currently on accutane now because it lasts longer and it could cure you for years. So why not just jump in towards the front of the line rather than stuck in the back?

Ok. I will say that if your acne looks more like little low-grade chicken pocks; very few or no nodules, then you are probably better off staying away from accutane. If your affected area has more than twenty pustules on the average, you might consider it. Usually the nodules are the type that make pock scars. So, try and get through this. Anyhow, I have been on accutane twice, it worked great, but maybe some of the problem things that are going on now could have been boosted by using accutane twenty years ago. I had bad cystic acne.. Just be tough and try and search through all the alternatives you can before going on accutane. This is just my opinion, I have no medical background and don't really like to give advice, just voice my opinion. As for the antibiotic, you definitely should let you doc know of any symptoms that do not seem good.. i used minocin recently and tetracycline years ago. In both cases the acne came back. Perhaps seemingly worse...

snugs

I like your username, its cute. I also agree with you. Accutane really is a last resort. Have you tried prescription topical creams or gels?

I took alot of antibiotics about a year and a half worth and I was clear. Septra did work for me also, after 1 day i could feel all my pimples go away, took it for 6 months then got immune to it. The point is these antibiotics gave me alot of symptoms that I tried to ignore, never got chest pain though, mostly dizzyness, fatigue, aches, nauseated, alot of other things I cant remember, I would have to take a nap during lunch time because it was intensed.

If i could do it all again, I would just go straight to accutane. I am currently on accutane now because it lasts longer and it could cure you for years. So why not just jump in towards the front of the line rather than stuck in the back?

Accutane has too many nasty side effects including severe depression with suicidal ideations in some people

snugs

I like your username, its cute. I also agree with you. Accutane really is a last resort. Have you tried prescription topical creams or gels?

Accutane has too many nasty side effects including severe depression with suicidal ideations in some people

All medication have side effects, As long as you can tell you are depressed and suicidal enough to quit the medicine, I think you will be okay. Its not like accutane was invited a year ago, its been around for 20 years. Side effects for 4 months, at a chance to be clear for years, Id take it.

Ive heard people take septra for years, but who knows what that could do to your body in the long run, compared to accutane which is 4 months and then you are done, which looks like a better option?

I took Septra/Bactrim for a L-O-N-G time, it can keep your acne "in-check", but it will never completely control or eliminate it, sorry to say. It's a quick & easy temporary fix. I would look to some alternative means, meaning comb over your topicals/cleansers/soaps, choose them carefully and read the ingredients/labels/warnings, if any. Try a nice, healthy balanced diet, and start looking to supplements. Keep in mind, not everything works for everyone.