Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riverwild

Very Oily Skin - salicylic lactic

A salicylic acid-lactic acid combo did what antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, essential oils, tea tree oil, fish oils, low-sugar diet, blotting papers, Retin-A, and even Accutane could not do - normalized my sebum production, cleared pores, cleared blotchiness, and dramatically reduced acne.

I've been creating this at home for less than a week, but it appears that *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * (10% salicylic acid + 5% lactic acid) for a good price (about $12).

I purchase pure salicylic acid powder (4 oz $6) and lactic acid (4 oz $4) from *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. * and mix it with aloe gel and hyaluronic acid.

--- Lactic acid is moisturizing, and my skin loves the low pH (use gloves and goggles when handling)

--- Salicylic acid is antimicrobrial and penetrates pores and oil (allowing other ingredients to penetrate)

--- Hyaluronic acid retains moisture without oil

I start with low percents of acids so that my skin can adjust without the excessive stinging and flaking often associated with acids and peels.

You could mix small quantities of ACNE STOP into aloe gel and hyaluronic acid and gradually increase the concentration so that your skin adjusts. Some people have tried stronger spot treatments with Q-tips. I'll be trying this later.

Literature states that salicylic acid becomes more effective at 4% concentration. At first, the low concentration didn't seem to alter anything. However, as the concentration increased, my skin responded immediately.

If you're too young or too busy to create your own, you can try pre-formulated ACNE STOP. Tell other oily skin sufferers that this could help.

I have VERY OILY skin, and I am AMAZED! My skin is now slightly oily and not dripping with oil like a Texas oil field. I never thought that this would be possible. And because pores are clearer, acne is less likely to form. Truly remarkable! Aside from these three ingredients and aloe gel, I don't use any other acne treatments. Sometimes I only wash with water, but my skin still looks normal because of salicylic acid and lactic acid. This is the best method for controlling oil that I have discovered.

I think that the hyaluronic-aloe gel complex is also absorbing some oil.

I increased the acid concentration, and my pores appear a little cleaner. I've also noticed that my skin is quickly adjusting to the increasing acid levels.

If anyone is going to use acids in higher concentration, I would recommend a glove. My fingers are peeling and flaking.

Interestingly, my facial skin is terribly oily without the acids. The skin on the rest of my body is dry.

Sounds like a good combo. Right now I'm using Stridex 2% Salicylic Acid pads until my Paula's choice comes in the mail. Then, every other night, I use an Absolute Radiance serum by Rx For Brown Skin. It contains Glycolic, Lactic, and Hyaluronic acid. I'm contemplating doing the only water routine now that I'm using acids to get rid rid of the dead skin. Does your skin ever get dry?

I noticed you said you still have some oil in your face even after using the combos.

I am 32 and have 10/10 oily face factor.

I can soak up 3-4 blotting paper just in the morning after I wake up.

So tired of trying many many things including BP which did not work by itself, I read an article that talks about Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

I used it as a toner after I wash my face, then still apply 5% Benzoyl Peroxide after the toner for my acne, and it works.

My face has been pretty dry for the past week during which I use the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar as my toner, twice per day, followed by 5% Benzoyl Peroxide.

I also use light, oil free moisturizer after the BP.

Even though you can see some light peeling around my mouth area, my cheeks, forehead and nose area has been pretty oil free.

But I'm going to try those combination you mentioned.

I always want to try Salicyclic acid into my regimen but afraid that along with the Apple Cider, Benzoyl peroxide it will be too harsh to add any other acidic ingredients.

but thanks for the info on *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *.

Good Luck. You can buy any brand of Apple Cider Vinegar as long as it's ORGANIC.

I just picked up the acne stop from that store. Is it safe to use nightly on my problem areas(nose forehead) or should I limit to every other day?

This is what I'm using:

morning: copper peptide

evening: cleanser, wait 30 min, acne stop, wait 30 min, retin-a(.05)

The original poster won't be back as the account proved to be a duplicate, shill account for a spammer.

But I do hope your purchase ends up doing you well. :) You should ask the retailer your questions about the product; they know the pH, and thus how long it should be left on, if it needs to be neutralized and how, and what kind of treatments you should use pre-and post- treatment.

Oops...I didn't know. It's just a 10% salicylic + 5% lactic acid. It's not meant to be a peel, so wasn't sure if it's ok to use more frequently. Thanks anyway.