Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucky girl

Is this a Bactrim allergy??

I am using Bactrim with great success. This is the third time I have been on it through my lifetime with it being effective all times. Once long term as a teenager and once for a month either side of starting Roaccutane to stop the breakouts, and then now for the last two months as I had a huge breakout after fraxel laser. My doctor wants me to stay on it until my next treatment with is on Feb 9th. I have never has any signs of allergic reaction to it at all. This week my family and I went ona houseboat holiday and were swimming in the salt water etc. My son has come out with a rash on his back and I have come out with one on my chest and upper arms. I just put it down to being allergic to somethin in the water or to the suncream we were using but could it be a reaction to the Bactrim? I feel fine otherwise and have never has a reaction to it before as I said

Any Bactrim users out there???? Surely if I have never been allergic and I have been taking it for two months without a reaction, I can rule out Bactrim as the problem can't I?

An allergy can develop at any time, thus the warnings on hair dyes to do a 24 hour skin test prior to applying color. You can use a product for years and suddenly develop an allergy to it.

As you are taking Bactrim, you can't be too careful. I would call your doctor but be sure to mention that your son also has a rash and that you have no other symptoms. Sometimes some types of body boards and water toys will cause a rash, particularly in salt water.

i've been using Bactrim and have had no allergic reaction, all people are different however. for the fact that you and your son both had a rash lends me to think it was something in the water or the sunscreen. Obviously you can develop a rash on this medication for being in the sun too long, at least it is listed as a possible side effect on my prescription info. It could be that Bactrim made you more susceptible to getting a rash. I would talk to your derm and treat the rash like you would any other skin irritation and see if it just goes away.