Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skin_Obsession

BUMP! Exercise the cure for Clogged Pores?

OK! I think I *may* be on to something.. this morning I woke up.. did my usual, applied some BP to my acne prone areas, leaving the spots, I think are being irritated by the BP out.. that was fine, it looked not bad.. Until, i went out in the sun.. now I stayed out for a bit.. was so warm.. I'm also an anti-sun screen users, as I believe the chemicals in sun-screen can actual PROMOTE skin cancer, rather then PREVENT it. As rediculous as this might sound, years ago our grandparents seldom heard of this condition, suddenly it's everywhere, and the reason why I generally don't use it.. Ok.. So that's fine.. i came in and i noticed these small pink dots all around my forehead especially, (where i had applied the BP).. I was pretty frustrated to say the least.. i'm sure the sun helped to bring these out.

Anyways.. the story is.. 2 hours later, I exercised VIGIROUSLY for 45 minutes, and when I stopped i went upstairs before I got in the shower, the bumps were gone??!?! Had a shower, and i run my hand over my forehead and I can barely feel them, additionally there is no irritation..

So?? Was this due to the fact I basically sweated the BP off, which could be causing the problem initially? Or does exercise actually AID, in cleaning out your pores, and eliminating these small pinkish bumps?

P.S. This has been posted in a reply to a question I posted below, but i thought I'd post it in the main section as well in case anyone has experienced this before.

Thanks!

Hmm... it could be possible...

Maybe the sweat in the clogged pore pushes it open and lets the trapped sebum ooze out. 8-[

Yea.. very possible, I mean.. I've been suffering from acne for the past.. 3-4 years.. and now I'm starting to think back.. ok, when I was in great shape.. exercising alot (eating healthy?? Actually.. not really..), did I have any acne, or if I did what was it like? Now.. I remember I was on ProActiv at the time, as well.. BUT I don't think I used it very often due to the fact the sweat, pretty well takes everything off your face if anything is there. I have the sweat gene.. so 45 minutes of exercise, = ALOT of sweat, i mean.. my face is soaked, looks like i just got out of the shower.. lol.. (That's why i do it at home not at the gym so I don't look like i'm slightly insane, lol).

Come to think about it... How many atheletes or, those who are extremely active, do you know who have any (possibly mild, but that's not a big deal), acne? I mean.. Sure they might have "mild" acne, but I really haven't seen too many atheletes, who have really bad skin?

So this is going to be the test.. it's a hard one because i'm worried my previous skin condition is going to creep back up on me.. but I'm so sick of using topicals at this point.. and spending all this money that if exercise is the key to healthier looking skin, then so be it.

I'm going to do this trial for a month, and post my results here.. I won't be using anything on my face.. just 45 minutes of vigorous cardio a day.. my regular weight lifting 3-4 times a week, and eating just like normal, nothing special.

April 12th - May 12th, We'll see if acne comes back or not, P.S. I did just finish a cycle of B5, roughly a month ago, so it might be possible the B5 is reducing the amount of new postules I've seen.. which I might be able to count on one hand in the last month.. which is unheard of for me at least..

I'll keep everyone updated, I'll update this post, once a week starting Today.

Cheers!

OMG! You guys may be totally right. I know that when my dad was in his early 20's, he used to have moderate acne. But then he started to jog regularely, not for 15 minutes, but and hour and a half every day, and taking a shower right after, and his skin cleared up immediately. And to this day he has gorgeous skin. If he is not the only one who experienced this, then this may very well be the answer to acne prone skin. [-o<

Like ME! wink.gif

Exercise is just another way to sweat out the toxins from your body. Do you know that the skin is the largest organ in the body and responsible for excreting 1/4 of the toxins from the entire body? Sweating is just another way of cleaning our skin. However, like Dan said, Sebacous glands and sweat glands are (may be?) separate so it may not be entirely related.

This is why taking a steam bath or sauna, whereby you sweat like crazy, is good for the skin. Yes, not too often, because extreme temperatures isn't too good for the skin either. But I can handle it because my skin isn't that sensitive to the extremities.

I dont think this is true at all. For one acne and sweat arent really related...different glands.

And I am in great physical shape and exercise regularly. For about 5 months as well I began working out, but due to time constraints I had to stop for a while. But I've seen no effect at all in a change of acne.

Also the bodies main reason for sweat is to cool your body off. It's not to release toxins or what not in the skin.

Also the bodies main reason for sweat is to cool your body off. It's not to release toxins or what not in the skin.

Hmm I know I posted this on the 12th, but I haven't used anything on my skin since saturday evening.

So far.. natural oil levels have seemed to returned to my skin (very quick), my complexision is DEFINETLY more clear, in other words my skin isn't near as blotchy when using BP, it's more consistent. the small bumps I had have disappeared, must have been the BP causing it, hence why i correlated sweating to improving it, as it was taking the BP AWAY from my skin.

And to be quite honest, when I think back 3 years ago, when I was exercising heavily my acne was mild (to none), then when I would stop for a few months, sure enough it would be back. There's a correlation here somewhere, whether it works for some, and doesn't work for others, that could be the case (like everything else). But I do think intense cardiovascular exercise must have some benefit for the skin. Maybe I'll prove myself wrong in the next few weeks, but that's yet to be determined.

Cheers!

this myth about sweat pushing out blackheads should be clarified. the gland that makes the sweat has nothing to do with the gland that makes the oil ( site of acne). its like flushing the toilet to clean up ur sink.

Myth? Not really a "myth". I mean, I've never heard people prescribe sweat to clear acne, however... I believe sweating, and exercise in general is good for your health (obviously), and has some positive effects on how your body rids itself of waste, toxins, which DOES had a positive effect on your skin.

Cheers

Here are a few theories I've been thinking about after reading this board. I don't know if they hold any sway so I don't really care if you take them seriously.

1. Sweating is your bodies primary way to release heat. Maybe like those chinese medicine people say, releasing the excess heat causes less acne.

2. Sweat is leaded with salt, whats why gatorade is so popular with althletes, because it has lots of it. Anyway, salt is good for your skin and if you sweat maybe the salt is disinfecting your face.

3. Regardless if the sweat and oil glands are two different glands, they still come through the pores right? So if your sweating then you will be unglogging the pores anyway right?

4.Exercise can help acne by increasing the blood flow to the skin and providing oxgyen to the skin cells. Moderate sweating will clean the pores from the inside. This in turn will aid skin health and reduce acne by both preventing further outbreaks of acne and helping existing acne disappear. Spots and blackheads will heal quicker and scars will fade.

Exercise will improve the fitness of your internal organs so they will be able to work more efficiently. Improved cardio-vascular fitness will mean your heart and lungs will get oxygen round your body more effectively. Your liver, kidneys and bowel will be able to work better to get the right nutrients out of the food you eat and get toxins out of your system more quickly. Exercise rebalances hormones and reduces stress  both are precursors of acne.

I think they all hold some sway but the last one is the best one I found.

BlackBird,

Awesome, Awesome post, I could never have put it in any better words then you have, and it all makes sense, most fail to view this side, as they aren't willing to put in 30-45 minutes of moderate to intense exercise EVERYDAY. I actually have a next door neighbor who is chinese and he SWEARS that sweating is EXCELLENT for health, and yes SKIN! The chinese have used this for a long time, and acne is more prodiminent in North America, then China, and coincidentally, the U.S., has roughly 2 in every 3 individuals who are overweight and (not all for those whom have said they do exercise on a REGULAR basis) compared to the Chinese active, and healthy lifestyle.

See.. the whole key here is "Regular" fitness. How many people do we know who start a fitness program, (mind you they normally do it 2 or 3 times a week tops), end up stopping it altogether? There's alot, I see it on a daily basis.

Do I think regular moderate to intense daily exercise is the absolute "cure" for acne? No I do not. Do I think for those who have non-cystic, Mild-Moderate acne will notice a *substantial* difference? Yes I do.

Yes, I believe it could possibly help those who have Cystic acne, however, I do believe those whom are suffering from severe/cystic acne, normally have an underlying medical condition that's causing it, which might need additional treatment rather then simple exercise.

I'm NOT going to act like I know it all because I don't, not even close, and I know everyone has different experiences. What I can tell you is that I developed mild acne at age 18, (i was already well into puberty at this point, so justifying, it was a hormonal problem directly from puberty itself, could not really be the case.. but at that age hormones will fluctuate nontheless.), by age 21 I had developed moderate acne.. NOW Here's the kicker.. Over the summer I developed moderate acne, I was depressed, stopped working out, didn't care what I looked like.. what I ate.. everything in life was terrible, Yes, I was depressed, and to this day it still haunts me, and I try to block it out as much as possible. Ok, so when I moved back home in September, I started working out intensely (Cardiovascular), to improve my fitness, and try to get rid of this depression and stress, I find exercise is my *quiet place*. Ok, remember at this time, I was using nothing on my face.. zip.. zilch.. nada.. So I worked out, and I remember.. after I worked out, I'd get out of the shower, Wow..my face looks pretty good.. hmm, carried on.. a month later.. Wow..my face is getting pretty good, those small cysts aren't forming anymore, and these other ones seem to be decreasing.. hmm cool. Ok, it's now October, I stopped working out after about a month.. Hey.. i'm getting a few more pimples acne?? DAMN. Ok, I'll start using ProActiv again and using B5 in conjunction, So I did.. Ok.. yea it wasn't working that bad (wasn't working out yet remember). Ok.. great. Now it's January, I start going to the gym again.. lifting weights, Acne seems to be getting better, great! March comes around.. My face looks very blotchy, discolored.. not sure if this is from the BP, or from the B5.. Very strange looking, when I apply BP, it looks even worse.. very pale skin.. Ok. I stop supplementing with B5 in March, continue to use BP for the month, once to twice a day (working out stops), Wow.. a few more pimples are showing up again.. Odd... Ok, last week of March, I start vigirous cardiovascular exercise, pimples have seemed to cease.. nothing new.. just healing going on.. But.. when I apply this BP, it seems to give my face a funny texture.. and it doesn't look right.. looks almost like a rash.. small pinkish bumps.. BUT I disregard, BP worked before it must be working to help prevent my acne still right? Face doesn't look right but I continue to use it anyway.

Last week.. I realize, there seems to be a correlation here somewhere.. Diet changed back to what it was regularly (not really paying much attention to how much, or what I was eating, but regular cardiovascular exercise I made sure I was getting,30-45 minutes of INTENSE exercise a day, plus weights 3-4 times a week), These small pink bumps seem to still be there.. odd.. Ok, now the test.. Stop BP, continue to exercise, which has been ongoing since last saturday.

*Update*, Wednesday - Red bumps (what i'm now contributing from irritaiton from BP), completely gone.. existing hyper-pigmentation, LESS noticeable when BP is NOT applied (also interesting), Face looks more healthy, complexion looks a great deal better, and it's a pale white which BP causes. New Pimples = 0. Nada.. Skin texture slight oil, which is NORMAL, it's not Dry, like it usually is when i apply BP, skin flaking has resided as well.

I'll be updating this Once a week, every Wednesday for updates, as to if I'm experiencing any new acne. Remember.. I'm still doing 30-45 minutes of vigorous cardiovascular exercise a day, HR 160-170, I'm turning 22, so this is normal for me.

Stay tuned for the Good/Bad News, I'm staying positive about this the whole time wink.gif

Cheers

I actually have a next door neighbor who is chinese and he SWEARS that sweating is EXCELLENT for health, and yes SKIN! The chinese have used this for a long time, and acne is more prodiminent in North America, then China

This is a MYTH yall. I exercised every day and lifted weights three times a week (I'm a High School football player ,rb) and my acne was still their it wasn't tell I got some medecine that it started too clear up which took about 6 months. A lot of people who play sports have acne. Look at a basketball or football game on t.v. and you'll see what I am talking about. The main culprit is genetics. Scientist have done many studies on this.

If the main culprit is genetics, explain to me why both my parents have NEVER had acne in their life, in fact, on my mom's side NO ONE in their family has had acne because we talked about it one night, same as dad's side.

While genetics may be at play for alot of us, it's not the case for everyone, Like I said.. It's not a "myth" for everyone, unless all these years when my face has been clearing it has been purely coincidental, and maybe my acne was never as bad as I *thought* it was and I was overdoing the treatment, who knows, All I know is so far it's working, and I'll keep everyone updated.

Cheers

Yep, me too. Both of my parents and all of my aunts and uncles never had acne, and if they did it was very minimal teenage stuff. So why is it that I have it? Mind you it's not bad but persistent as hell. All my dad did was wash his face with zest and he never had a pimple.

I think it's more our environment than anything. And by that I mean the polution in the air, the bad water quality in many cities, the processed foods we eat, the lack of exercise or sun(yes too much sun is bad but so is not enough when you stay indoors all day playing video games), basically the overall poor quality of our health. While I don't think certain food groups cause acne(I believe that it's the extra hormones they put in milk that gives many troubles not the natural hormone content or that people are lactose intolerant and they don't know it), it's all this fast food processed crap thats bogging down our organs and causing our bodies to become inefficient to the point where we can't even digest anything right or absorb the nutrients from our food and we get acne so people start blaming certain food groups or even macros like carbs. I also think everyone is overdoing it with all these topicals(I'm guilty of this), fad diets, etc.... Notice how for moderate or mild acne sufferers its usually the simplest regime that works the best?

Also many people in sports have acne because they are spreading the bacteria everywhere. In football your helmet rubs against your face and so does your chinguard both of which are full of bacteria. In basketball many wipe their sweat on their jerseys over and over, thus spreading even more bacteria on the face.

So true. I'm trying to eat more salads nowadays, and I SELDOM have milk products, we recently started buying Soy Milk, which I have a cup of, occasionally ever 2nd day or so. I do drink ALOT of Protein Whey, because I workout, which I'm not really sure how much of a negative effect this would have on my acne, but.. it's part of my weight-lifting program, so I'm not about to give up everything I worked so hard to acheive just because i'm getting a few pimples.

But I think like you said for mild/moderate acne sufferers the key is to keep it simple, the past few years, I'm SURE applying all these topicals (mostly the ProActiv system), has had SOME type of effect on my skin.. I mean, I remember when I first started using it, damn.. it would REALLY feel like it was working you felt so good after putting it on, but over time that effect does fade off (which i'm really not sure why so many people say that if BP works once, it will continue to work, because I believe this is false..)

Back to the sports thing.. I mean SURE guys I watch play hockey, are sweating like insane, and have a couple pimples on their face, but their playing with such intensity, your body can suddenly get spots of irritation is happens to everyone! If you look at these guys after they get a shower, and get cleaned up.. i mean come on, you can barely notice anything on their face.. Hence, why I still think sweating helps clean out your pores. I mean if your not an athelete, or don't choose to be, that's fine, everyone has their different lifestyles, and I know some people aren't going to become an athelete for a solution to get rid of their acne, it's just not feasible, everyones interests are different. BUT, I would say for those that are in great physical shape, and active on a daily basis this will pay off for your skin.

Something else that I'm convinced of, is by burning excess calories during intense exercise, and eating a "sensible" diet, meaning, keep your portion sizes smaller, and eat more often if neccessary, will make it easier on your body to process the existing food, then it will have time to get rid of any built up wastes, making your immune system stronger over time.

I mean.. if we look at all the fad "No more Acne" diets.. The apple diet.. the lemon drink diet.. the "fasting diet", what do they all have in common?? LOW CALORIES. I don't believe eating like this for short periods of time then going back to your normal eating patterns is healthy, I think a total lifestyle adjustment, eating smaller portion sizes at every meal is a step in the right direction. Let your body slowly adapt to these changes, don't try a "shock and awe" campaign to destroy all these built up toxins in a few short days, or even a week, it all takes time, and commitment. Rome wasn't built in a day. One problem with the north american society is fast food, and serving sizes! Their getting way out of control, and the #1 cause (besides technology), that obesity is on the rise (espeically in kids), and their are more diseases then ever, Granted Yes, we are living longer then years ago because the medical industry is also advancing, BUT imagine how much MORE healthy we would be if we ate better, combined with our advanced medical knowledge? I'm sure we'd increase our mortality rate to 80 or 90! (Now this has it's cons as well.. lol, but i think you get my point).

In the end, it's all what you put into it, what you can expect to get back from it.

Cheers