Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaime66

The Regimen

I first came across this site when I was about 14, I am now nearly 21.

This is the conclusion I have come to. DO NOT START ON THIS REGIMEN.

I have done everything -

eaten healthily, used every wash available, every cream available, done the regimen for sustained periods of time (3 years, 1 year etc) used doxycline and other antibiotics, been on roaccutane (accutane) and back onto antiobiotics and am trying to go back onto roaccutane atm.

So what worked after everything iv tried...

Roaccutane.

Did the regimen work?

Yes (not completely) At a cost...

YOUR SKIN! If you want your skin looking shockingly awful the whole time(oily etc)and feeling dry (even when using the correct moisturiser) then go for it. The consequences are that the regimen will make ur skin dry the whole time. Only moisturiser can help this. This cannot be good for ur skin. If you really are that bothered about your acne then ACCUTANE IS THE ONLY ANSWER. This also makes your skin dry but at least you only have to moisturise and it goes to the route of the problem rather than targeting it superficially as the regimen does.

Please do not start on the regimen, it will be frustrating and as soon as you stop you will have dry skin and the acne will come straight back

Even accutane may not work permantly (as for me) but at least it guarantees clear skin in most cases for a period of time without the need to constantly do shit to your face apart from moisturise!

Please just consider this before you put urself through the regimen and probably end up n accutane anyway

im writing this because im annoyed that i have reverted back to the regimen whilst waiting to see the doctor and my skin feels (and looks) shit

james

yeah ur skin is drier than normal and your skin is a bit more oily than normal but daayym i got clear skin.

im fully clear. I bet people now look at my face and are hella jealous. AND I USED TO HAVE ACNE!

Yes, while we're sorry the Regimen didn't work for you and that you've found something that DID work better for you, many people DO have success with the Regimen and don't experience the things you are discussing. Similarly, many people have bad experiences with Accutane. Everyone's skin is different, and you are making generalizations that you can't necessarily make, because, as I've said, there are a lot of people who have gotten 100% clear on the Regimen. We can't tell others what will and will not happen to them, we can only share our experiences and OPINIONS and hope that they help. I would ask that you to phrase things accordingly in the future.

When I put BP on, my skin isnt dry or oily at all. I don't even put moisturizer until later. Sorry it didnt work for you, but I am almost clear and this has worked wonders for me.

Sorry to hear about your experiences but those are not the ones I am having. I love how my skin looks right now. It used to be incredibly oily and is not anymore. I don't have to run home after being out for a few hours to wash my face. People I work with used to comment about how oily my face would get from the time I got to work until an hour later. I also used to get really really dry around my mouth and on my chin. I mean it was a cracking and embarrassing mess - plus I had the oil at the same time. My skin has hardly flaked and I am very happy with how I look right now. I was considering accutane before, but I really don't want to do that to my body.

you've all been brain washed. Come off the regimen. If your acne was that bad it will come back. And will continue to do so. Enjoy wasting your lives putting on bp, the time it takes to be clear you would have finished your accutane course...If it doesnt come back it was not severe enough in the first place to warrent the regimen.

This is my opinion.

I will not post here again. So dont bother replying

Thanks

you've all been brain washed. Come off the regimen. If your acne was that bad it will come back. And will continue to do so. Enjoy wasting your lives putting on bp, the time it takes to be clear you would have finished your accutane course...If it doesnt come back it was not severe enough in the first place to warrent the regimen.

This is my opinion.

Thanks

Accutane is prescribed for severe cases of acne and not everyone on the regimen has severe enough acne to warrant it. Despite what you think, Accutane isn't the cure-all and only acne treatment.

It's a shame you won't be posting here again because I love proving people wrong.

gyro, i love your regimen. thats what im doing right now. it works better than the regimen IMO (antibacterial and opening pores combined). its more practical too...having BP on during the day is ridiculous. BP magnifies ALL the bad features of your face...any dry flake will show up like a beacon with BP on. not to mention if you get water on your face a white residue will form. plus it would seriously mess up your relationship if your significant other cant even kiss you.

i was trying SA + BP twice a day, but its way too drying. it works, but its hell for your skin. my skin is clear right now and looks great. hopefully using SA in the morning and BP at night will be enough to keep it that way.

This is my opinion.

Thanks

You post an opinion, and because others post positive experiences you get all sulky and say you'll never post again.. Quit being a baby!

I think Jaime was just trying to express his/her opinion about the regimen. I think it's unfair to tell Jaime to stop making "negative" generalizations. It's a double standard. I see plenty of posts on this forum that make "positive" generalizations, which have never been attacked the same way.

From my own personal experience, I agree with Jaime. When I finally went off the regimen, I felt so guilty for putting my skin through that. I realized the severe damage I had done. Although I did not resort to accutane like Jaime, I tried other methods and gradually it did it's work without damaging my skin.

From all the "encouragements" I received on this forum after posting concern after concern, I pressed on and stayed on the regimen. I read these posts and I sided with all the people who attacked the naysayers. Now I realize how foolish that was. I originally went on the regimen to combat 4 little whiteheads on my forehead (my entire face was COMPLETELY CLEAR -- had always been that way). After a month, I had break outs all over my face: my forehead, cheeks, and chin. They ranged from whiteheads, to pustules to cysts. I'm 26 and never had an acne problem to this extent. I was literally a pizza face. Nonetheless, I kept listening to the people who encouraged me on this forum. Some gave reasons like it's purging... some said I was adjusting.. and some simply told me to trek on forward. And I listened. How much I regret now.

I now am totally sympathetic to the naysayers who get attacked because the regimen does not work for everyone. They are only expressing their own opinion like all those "positive" people who actually had good results from the regimen treatment. They tell every one to keep trying.. they tell everyone how it works... they make sure everyone follows the regimen like the bible (always referring people to links like "biggest mistakes"). At one point I felt so angry because it felt like they were the reason I did such damage to my skin.

My face was filled with pimples and it continued to multiply each day...like it never ended. I woke up every morning to more pimples. Moreover whatever pimples that did some what "die-down" just lingered as a raised red bump that never went away. About a week ago I decided it's time to find something else. Went to see the doc and she shook her head at what I did to my skin. She prescribed my some compound to sooth my skin from the damage this BP has done and I can tell you all now, after 1 week off the regimen, I am acne free. My skin is finally feeling like human skin again. It's no longer dry, flaking, rough and dull. My only problem now is all the scars that the acne has left behind. It makes me sad to look at my old pictures and see how my skin used to look and now I have clusters of dark marks all over my skin.

Just because the regimen worked for you; you don't have a right to tell others to not give their comments and let people know other potential effects of the regimen. You can surely tell people about your positive experiences but don't point fingers at people as if they are doing this out of complete malice.

Ever since I added AHA+ into the regimen, my skin actually looks and feels *better* than it did when I didn't have acne. Don't go telling people "DO NOT START ON THIS REGIMEN", it works for a lot of people, but obviously doesn't work for everyone.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my smooth, toned, acne-free skin.