Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone had scar treatment at Tokyo University?

The professor I went to see at Tokyo University says he can fix my scars with just 1 session. I have been to see many university hospitals and they all say it will take about 1 year to treat my scars. Only Tokyo University says they can treat my scars with just one go. I have no idea what method which they will use. All I know is that they will use a combination of laser and knife. The professor told me that after my operation my skin would look like I have never had any scars before. I will have the operation on 21 Jan 09.

Well, it really depends on the severity and type of scars you have. Is it localized or all over? I think the newest crop of lasers can do amazing things from the pictures I've seen.

I would ask him:

1. If he has before/after pictures.

2. How many times he has done this procedure(s).

3. Laser model and company that makes it.

4. Additional surgical procedure he will do.

Then I'll research the heck out of #3, #4 and see if this is feasible with one session.

I'm willing to give more credence to a professor at a renown university than a unknown dermatologist full of promises.

The exact procedure has not been planned yet because he told me that before my operation all the doctors will come and look at my scars and have a meeting to decide what type of procedure they will use on each of my scars(I have scars at different places so the procedure will also be different). He also told me that I will need stitching at some places so I guess the places where there is stitching are places which knife will be use and the places without stitching are done using laser. I have hypertrophic scars.

Sounds like to me that it will cost alot of money (with all the doctors and all). Unless it is for clinical study. You should be in good hands though with so many doctors giving advices. Still, you can try to ask what type of lasers they have at their disposal in their medical facility. But from what I know so far, good result = lots of downtime (1-3 months). I won't be surprised if they used some type of CO2 laser because those supposedly give the most dramatic result for deep scars. As for under the knife, you will have to nuture those stitches very well also. Please do let me know what type of laser you will use as well as your results... best of luck.

The exact procedure has not been planned yet because he told me that before my operation all the doctors will come and look at my scars and have a meeting to decide what type of procedure they will use on each of my scars(I have scars at different places so the procedure will also be different). He also told me that I will need stitching at some places so I guess the places where there is stitching are places which knife will be use and the places without stitching are done using laser. I have hypertrophic scars.

It wil cost 400000 Japanese Yen. Doctor told me after the operation I will have a little bit of swelling but within 1 week it will look normal. The stitchs will also be removed after 1 week.

I think this doctor is sounding a bit overly optamistic. 1 week for your skin to look normal and you only require one treatment? Maybe in 10-20 years time this will be possible, but not with current techniques.

Having said that, i am sure you will get good results and it sounds like you are in good hands. Just remember the risks of pigment changes in asian skin.