Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aliased

benzaclin question

my physician prescribed benzaclin/differin combo for me, so far the differin has cause no problems and results have been pretty good so far.

however when i use benzaclin (in the morning, as prescribed) after a few (5-10) minutes it starts to leave behind this wierd white flaky stuff. at the beginning i thought it was just excess benzaclin but now im beginning to think this is dry skin.

is there any way for me to combat this problem? if so how would you recommend i do so?

Sounds like dry skin to me. I got that around my mouth and on my chin. Benzaclin is potent stuff and a little goes a long way. Pat the top of your finger on top of the emulsion. Use that tiny bit for your entire face. Hopefully that will help with the flakies. Since it has such a short shelf life you'll find you'll need more as time progresses. Don't be surprised if you end up throwing out half the tub. I hope this helps! :)

Pat the top of your finger on top of the emulsion. Use that tiny bit for your entire face.

i should try that again i guess

the reason ive stopped is because i could never get it to spread around my whole face with benzaclin being a gel and all

and also for moisturizing, when should i put on the lotion? right after benzaclin or wait a few hours for the medicine to work, wash off and then apply?

btw: what is up with your signature.. its hilarious but is there a point to it

You shouldn't have to wait that long or wash it off. Just a few minutes is all it takes. It absorbs pretty quickly.

Hehe, there's no point to it at all. :)

hmm thats interesting..

but wont the hydration of the lotion counteract the effects of benzaclin? (im using lac hydrin 5 atm), causing results to appear slower/not appear at all?

and how do you get the benzaclin to cover your face with using your method of application?

As far as I know your lotion isn't going to "draw out" or "weaken" the Benzaclin. The stuff absorbs as soon as it touches your skin. You can wait half an hour to an hour even if you want, but it's not required I don't think. Whether I was having a lazy weekend day with no moisturizer or make-up and hurrying for work with a moisturizer application minutes later, the effects were no different. I'm not going to lie and say this method will fully eliminate the flakes because I still had some, but it might reduce them greatly as it did for me.

As for the way I've applied it, I patted my fingertip in the emulsion and then did a quick touch on the five major points: forehead, both cheeks, chin, and nose. Then I'd blend as best I could - all swiftly because you can witness it gloss over and dry on your fingertip. It absorbs that quickly! You can do two pats if that's necessary, but you don't need a scoop. That's way too much because the emulsion is just so potent. It's so very, very drying so less is more in this case.

If you find the benzaclin not helpful since you're already using differin, ask your dermatologist about clindamycin gel. It's not drying at all (at least in my case). It's benzaclin minus the benz (bp). It's a clear antibiotic gel. You can put on a good amount and it won't dry you out. It absorbs just as quickly. I use that today along with retin-a micro 0.04%. The only drawbacks with clindamycin is 1) you may experience irritable bowel symptoms (I have not) and 2) as with any antibiotic, p.acnes will eventually build an immunity.

im guessing it was frustrating at first for you to spread the benzaclin all over right?

because i tried taht and believe me, i thought i had so little on it wasnt gonna do anything :)

Yes! Oh my, yes. I did think I wasn't putting enough on because I was so accustomed to gooping, but this stuff is so strong. Heh...I guess you could say I'm a fast learner. The less I used the better it worked. I'm surprised there's not a warning label on this junk. Caution! Using more than a pat will envoke embarrassing red flaked skin. People will think you're a snake, but that's OK, it's knocking out your acne so don't worry about it.

I am, but I took a course of Accutane. However, this stuff did work for taking care of the small stuff: pustules, blackheads, and your run of the mill mild acne. What it did not battle was the cystic stuff. It dried it up, but did not prevent it. Bigger guns were required, unfortunately. Do you have cystic/nodular acne?

eh thats kinda hard for me to "fully" tell you

why? because i think that my comparatively small "nodules" are basically pimples (pustules) that havent come to a head.

usually when i get a "breakout" it is a small-medium sized red bump that is mildy painful (not always) to teh touch. however after a few spot treatments of neosporin it quickly comes to a head and i am able to pop and cover with neosporin again.

^ idk if that is a nodule or watever but thats basically always the case. the only exceptions are blackheads, and the extra rare whitehead <-- (i "love" those because tehyre easy to get rid of)

This stuff will work wonders for you then. Your acne sounds predictable unlike cysts. With cysts you can coax and squeeze as much as your heart contents, but they will head when they darned well feel like it and it's usually when you don't want them to! Please update or start a blog? I'd like to follow it.

With cysts you can coax and squeeze as much as your heart contents

whoa whoa whoa im getting scared now, my "nodules" dont just come to a head after squeezing

how do i start a blog/log?

and btw: im a guy, if that makes any difference to my acne/causes

*grin* I could tell you are a guy. I was just letting you know of the different takes on how I'd have to apply to Benzaclin in order to show you it didn't matter what method was incorporated. ;)

I didn't mean to scare you at all. Cysts are more than just red bumps that eventually form pus heads (papules and pustules). Cysts can often turn purple without being touched before forming a head (if ever). Even when they're just below the surface they're quite painful and you can often feel the fluid in them. I do apologize if I caused alarm! I really didn't mean to.

You can start a blog a little bit up in the Regimen Log portion of the site. It's sectioned off just like this one according to regimen. Or you can even go to the Blog section of the site.

wait waaa? howd you know i was male o.O!

and as for starting the log, im supposed to jsut list what i do and what is my face like correct?

EDIT: oops forgot to tell ya..

idk if creating a blog is such a great idea for me, i know that i almost definitely will not update it because im just not a "blogger" type person..

so any other way?

I can't think of another way. Hmm, maybe you could just rehash this thread every now and then noting any changes. That could work. :) I hope your stuff helps you, trex. Acne is so annoying!

well good news from yesterday, some of my lower left cheek acne is clearing

the right cheek is almost totally clear

forehead has 1 blemish

chin is clear and smooth but has some discoloration